Ah, feels good to be home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
No great achievement, but something that makes me feel good - a realisation.

As some of you may already know, one of my past novels struck me recently as YA rather than chicklit. So I thought, "Great. I'm not all about adult novels; some stories I write are YA too."

But I've begun to look at all of my 'stuff' in a new light. The novel I'm currently shopping around is definitely not YA, despite it getting a rejection saying, "We don't do children's books." I mean - huh? 23-year-old heroine, abortion, infidelity, drug-taking, lots of swearing and you think it's a children's book? Even going by the age of the characters alone, I'm confused at that one. (Trust me; I can't change the MC's age and market it at YA, it just isn't a kids' book). Anyway.

I have other ideas that are definitely for a more mature market but I've realised something important. My trunk novel, when reworked, is YA. My second novel is YA. The third is being shopped around now - definitely for grown-ups. And most of the other ideas I have are YA. The stories peter out...well not peter out; that suggests they grind to a halt...they end naturally at round about 60k words; with some changing-of-MC's-age and other less-important details, they could be tailored to the YA market.

It's funny, because a few years ago a friend read an early draft of my trunk novel and said it was good, but...was I sure it was a grown-up novel? It read to her like a Point Horror (at which I took great offence) or a book for teens.

Seems she was right after all.

I'm a YA writer. Woot! Feels good to say that. :D 3/4 YA with a few other ideas for more mature readers. It's like I'm putting on a coat that fits, at last. Does that make any sense?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, peaches. Epiphanies are grand, eh?

Reaction score
They are indeed. :D

And just to add my point about my currently-being-shopped-around novel; I realise some YA novels deal with subjects like abortion or drug-taking but this one's particularly graphic in some scenes (not least some sexy sex), and the characters need to be in their early/mid twenties due to The Great Secret at the Heart of the Book happening years before. I need time to elapse before it all comes out, so they end up round about 23, 24 at the end of it.

But yeah. Feels good. :D

Reaction score
The one I'm writing just now (and I know I keep talking about this but I love the scene) involves someone having their tongue torn out by a shapeshifter.

See? I can do dark. I can do edgy. ;)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Prep a YA book? That was pretty graphic. I ended up not finishing it because it was so graphic.

MerryDay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
evemarieperry.com
Actually, Prep is one of those books marketed for adults, but with a young adult MC. I read an article a few months back about Curtis Sittenfeld and apparently she had trouble finding an agent because of that issue...which I thought was strange, since there are so many classic books written for adults with young adult or children narrators.

ps- Congrats, Peaches, on the epiphany! YA writing is definitely getting edgier, you will fit right in!

Last edited:

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm right there with you, and that realization made it a lot easier for me to write. I stopped feeling guilty for not writing the next Great American Novel, and started writing the things that interest me, that I'd have wanted to read when I was a teenager. I think I'm the same makeup as you: 3/4 YA, 1/4 everything else. I have a couple literary pieces I want to tackle in the future (when I'm in a better place to write them) and probably some epic fantasy someday.

Congrats on the realization. You're way ahead of the game for sure.

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'd been stalling on DAE (see signature) for a few weeks even though I knew what came next, but after my 'epiphany' I typed 2,500 words, printed out the whole manuscript which is at just under halfway, and carried on writing in longhand because...well, I felt like it!

So I'm really smoking now. I should finish this edit by the end of July, easily. August to work on the synopsis and submitting it, and then...who know?

I have a few ideas that are definitely for more mature readers, but I could swap between the two genres with each new piece...rather getting ahead of myself here, but so what?

My enthusiasm's had a good ol' kick up the backside which can only be a good thing.

licity-lieu

drying and defragging...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.librarything.com
I've felt exactly this feeling too. Yeah, I love to dream that I could write the next great Australian novel ;) (dreaming on and on...) but mostly I want to write that book I was trawling the bookshelves for when I was 15. For me the exhilarating part of YA is the possibilities that an author can create for young people. I'll never forget that feeling--anticipation!

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think it's impossible to write the Great American Novel and have it be suitable for a YA audience?

Anyway scarletpeaches when your book comes out I'll tell my librarian I know you and she has to get a copy.

Even if it's only released in the UK.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I think I might start writing adult novels when I grow up.

Maybe not.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
Does that make any sense?

Absolutely. I went through the same thing a few years ago, following comments from some friends and other readers. Me: "I write YA novels? Really? Well...okay then!" It was liberating.

Glad you found your way.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. I went through the same thing a few years ago, following comments from some friends and other readers. Me: "I write YA novels? Really? Well...okay then!" It was liberating.

Glad you found your way.

The opposite thing's been happening to me lately. People keep reading my stuff and saying, "Okay, this is not YA."

And I cry inside.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, don't worry, Shady. They might not put it in YA at bookstores but they might at libraries.

Reaction score
Anyway scarletpeaches when your book comes out I'll tell my librarian I know you and she has to get a copy.

Even if it's only released in the UK.

I love the way you say 'when', not 'if'. :D

...I want to write that book I was trawling the bookshelves for when I was 15...

That's the feeling I got. There was no way I could have written anything worth publishing when I was 15 - I didn't have the life experience, even though I was living through my teen years which you'd think would help you to write a YA novel.

I feel as if I had the ideas, the raw passion - but that's the trouble; it was raw and directionless and I hadn't a clue about the craft of writing.

Glad you found your way.

Glad to know I'm not alone then, and that I'm not weird.

Well if I am, you are too. :D

Truth be told, I wonder if the genre picks the writer rather than the other way round. I guess that's what Scarlet discovered.

Again, it's funny how I had to be twice the age to be able to write a teen as the MC. You'd think I could write a fifteen-year-old at that age, but no. I had the ideas, but no idea how to hone them. It's only now I feel I have the ability to put my teen/YA ideas down on paper in any coherent fashion.

As I said when I hit the big 3-0 last year; "I'm not thirty; I'm fifteen twice."

Now I claim to be twentyleven.

licity-lieu

drying and defragging...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.librarything.com
As I said when I hit the big 3-0 last year; "I'm not thirty; I'm fifteen twice."

Now I claim to be twentyleven.

LOL I'm fifteen twice + seven. So that makes me twentyseventeen! Wow, that sounds so much better. My friends and I are gearing up for a 'not -forty-yet- party' but I think I've found the new title :D

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
The opposite thing's been happening to me lately. People keep reading my stuff and saying, "Okay, this is not YA."

And I cry inside.

What reasons do people give for thinking this? The subject matter? Curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.