Favorite movie scenes

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
What are your favorite scenes of all time?

I'll go first so I can take all the good ones:

1) Gandalf and the Rohirrim showing up at Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.

2) The climax of 300 (although the spear could have gone an inch or two in a certain direction)

3) Luke turning off his targeting computer in Star Wars: A New Hope.

4) The graveyard staredown at the end of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

5) Escape montage in The Shawshank Redemption

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
2) Standing on the desks at the end of Dead Poet's Society
2) Drinking beer on roof in Shawshank Redemption
3) Listening to opera singer in " "
4) end of Gandhi's fast in Gandhi

too many more to count....

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The graveyard staredown at the end of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Good one.

1. Rhett carries Scarlett up the stairs.

2. Komarovsky drives Lara away in the sled as Zhivago frantically scrapes ice from the window for one last glimpse of her.

3. James Dean crying to his father in East of Eden.

4. Nonno reciting his completed poem in Night of the Iguana.

5. Cool Hand Luke eating hardboiled eggs.

6. Shirley MacLaine's sex scene in Being There.

7. The girl swimming alone in the moonlight being caught by Jaws.

8. Borat and Azamat fight in their hotel room over a magazine.
(Sorry about that; I thought it was hilarious.)

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Pride and Prejudice (2005) when Elizabeth is walking early in the morning and Darcy walks to her and it's so awesome.

The Chumscrubber, when Dean is driving to school playing Pure Morning.

Donnie Darko, when Donnie and Gretchen walk downstairs at the party

Mean Creek, them all sitting/standing by the river realizing what they've done

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
"Jack's Smirking Revenge" from Fight Club

The scene with the eye attached to the hand in Bride of Reanimator

The closing scenes in Death Proof and Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail.

Opening scene of Sin City.

This is fun! :)

licity-lieu

drying and defragging...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.librarything.com
Comedy
AceVentura Pet Detective, when Ace replies "I'm not ready for a relationship right now" to the crazy cops question: "Do you want me to make your life a living hell?" That one cracks me up every time.

Drama
Sixth Sense: When the little boy tells his mother that Grandma (dead) is proud of her. I crumble every time.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Drama
Sixth Sense: When the little boy tells his mother that Grandma (dead) is proud of her. I crumble every time.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried at that scene, too. It's a good one.

Another one I can't forget is Jack Sparrow coming into port in Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. It's epicly hilarious.

Jay Byrne

Registered
Reaction score
Drunken Master - Jackie Chan doing all that training. So impressive.

Yojimbo - Toshiro Mifune strolls into town. It's great because it is only the beginning.

My Left Foot - Christy (Daniel Day Lewis) writes 'mother' on the floor with the chalk between his toes.

Bad Boy Bubby - shrink-wrapped cats and parents. What more could you ask for? ;)

Harvey - (One of my all time faves) When Stewart's sister first commits him.

Monsters Inc - When we discover that there is an emotion more powerful than fear...*Smiles*

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
God, there are hundreds . . . .

Only one comes to mind right now:

In Star Trek III, The Search for Spock, when the Enterprise escapes Space Dock (Sir, someone is stealing the Enterprise!) with the Excelsior right behind.

allen

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Hundreds, maybe thousands... how do I choose?

Ilsa to Rick, Casablanca: "Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time."

In Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff talking to Isabella (Linton's sister and Heathcliff's wife): "Why are your eyes always empty? Like Linton's eyes." Isabella answers, "They're not empty, if you'd only look deeper. Look at me. I'm pretty. I'm a woman and I love you. You're all of life to me. Let me be a single breath of it for you."

The Godfather: Don Corleone, speaking to the assembled dons, trying to make peace and bring Michael home, " I'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall Michael - if he is to be shot in the head by a police officer, or be found hung dead in a jail cell... or if he should be struck by a bolt of lightning - then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room; and then I do not forgive. But with said, I pledge - on the souls of my grandchildren - that I will not be the one to break the peace that we have made today."

In Titanic, the first time we see the ship transmorgrified into her former splendor. Story? What story? I wanted to see the ship! :)

In Open Range, Charley asks the gunman, "You the one killed our friend?" Gunman answers, "That's right. I shot the boy, too. And I enjoyed it." Charley quickly draws his gun and shoots the gunman square in the forehead.

The death of the Enterprise when she arcs across the sky and burns up in the atmosphere in TOS3.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great question, and I can't promise I won't show up later as I think of more.

1. Ace Ventura trying to hide in a cardboard box as someone opens the door of the stockroom he's snooping around in. ::cries with laughter::

2. Indiana Jones showing who has the REAL mad skillz when he shoots the guy with the fancy sword moves.

3. ET, when the flower comes back to life.

4. Big, when Tom Hanks is trying his best to jump into a pair of boys size 12 jeans.

5. The Sixth Sense, when the little dead girl grabs the kid's ankle from under the bed.

6. Chocolat, when the mayor loses control and rolls in the chocolate display at the front of the store.

7. Amélie on the haunted house carnival ride, when the man she secretly loves runs a finger down her neck while he's trying to scare her. . ::fans self::

8. Ghost Rider, when he rides up the side of that building on his flaming motorcycle. OMG I'M KIDDING.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
2. Indiana Jones showing who has the REAL mad skillz when he shoots the guy with the fancy sword moves.

Just a bit of trivia for this one, 'cause I like trivia. This was actually supposed to be a much larger fight, both of them having swords. But when the day of filming came around, Harrison Ford was sick with something like a 102 fever and with how hot it was where they were filming, just physically couldn't do the choreographed scene. So he suggested that he just shoot the guy and they could move on. And it became one of the most memorable scenes in the movie.

One of my other favorite scenes is also from Raiders: The whole truck sequence where Indy is stealing back the Ark.

The St. Crispian's Day speech from Kenneth Branaugh's version of Henry V.

The opening scene to Ghost Ship. Say what you want about the movie itself, but that scene was one of the most creative... well, I won't say anything else if you haven't seen it. ;)

From Serenity (yes, where I got my 'name'):
Mal: "You wanna run this ship?"
Jayne: "Yes."
Mal: "Well... you can't!"

Reaction score
2) Standing on the desks at the end of Dead Poet's Society
2) Drinking beer on roof in Shawshank Redemption
3) Listening to opera singer in " "
4) end of Gandhi's fast in Gandhi

too many more to count....

I always cry when he makes the "secret vow in our hearts" speech and everyone stands up.

And when the line of men are beaten with sticks and another line steps forward.

And when he makes salt.

Let's just say all of that film! :)

(It does make me giggle when Mrs Gandhi has asked if he'd ever broken his vow of chastity and she says, "Not yet!")

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Aliens: Ripley saying, "Get away from her, you bitch!" My favourite cinematic moment ever.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The last scene of Cinema Paradiso (but you have to watch the whole movie first).

Richard Dreyfuss getting on the alien ship in Close Encounter of the Third Kind.

The seagulls scene in Finding Nemo.

The strip club scene in Closer.

Elizabeth dissing Darcy at the dance hall in Pride & Prejudice.

Tom Hanks speaking to his wife in Sleepless in Seattle.

The last five minutes of Six Feet Under series finale (OK, so it's a TV show).

The climax of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I can watch that over and over and over again.

And yes, the Ripley's "bitch" scene.

So many more... I am a movie nut.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth dissing Darcy at the dance hall in Pride & Prejudice.

I love the Keira Knightly version of this show!! My favorite scene, being the romance writer that I am, is where Darcy comes to her at sunrise. One of the most romantic scenes ever, and not even a kiss. Holds true to the book and melts my heart no matter how many times I've watched it.

Other honorable mentions in the romance department:

Love, Actually - Collin Firth has the whole town follow him to propose in very butchered Portugese to the woman he loves.

Notting Hill - The press conference and the transition into the song She (which, by the way, is the greatest song ever:D )

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
My God, Bones, what have I done?

What you had to do, what you always do: turn death into a fighting chance to live.

How about the campy Star Trek IV?
"Everyone remember where we parked the ship."

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
The scene between Ben Johnson and Timmothy Bottoms--with Bottom's brother in the background--in the movie THE LAST PICTURE SHOW. It's a beautiful scene: "Yep, Sam the Lion says, "we were in pretty deep." I love that film!

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Sense and Sensibility with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson:

Kate Winslet goes for a walk and it starts raining then that guy who plays Snape, so sorry I have no clue as to what his name is, comes and brings her inside and stays with her until she gets better.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
The Maltese Falcon: Bogart's last speech to the movie's femme fatale.

Hero: When the caligraphy school is under attack from a hail of arrows. Great fighting, but also a very hot Tony Leung doing caligraphy. sigh.

Porco Rosso: The part were Porco explains (kind of) his curse.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
My family constantly quotes Waiting for Guffman. The scene where Christopher Guests is courting his "muse of the dance" always cracks me up.

Along the funny vein - how about in Meet the Parents, the dinner scene where he talks about milking a cat. And Roxanne when Steve Martin has to come up with nineteen insults about the size of his nose. There are some awesome lines from that movie, it was sadly underrated.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I love this thread!

Of course, how could I forget? "Hello. My Name Is Inigo Montoya. You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die."

And Love, Actually, when the guy tells Keira he loves her with a series of signs at the front door! ::swoons::

Rosemerry, the actor who played Snape (and the inestimably romantic Col. Brandon) is Alan Rickman, my movie boyfriend. What a man!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Rosemerry, the actor who played Snape (and the inestimably romantic Col. Brandon) is Alan Rickman, my movie boyfriend. What a man!

And Nottingham in Robin Hood: "Because a spoon is dull you idiot it'll hurt more! Now sew, and keep the stitches small!"

Let's also not forget: "And cancel Christmas!"