underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I just found this on youtube and had to share:

A CBS Special Presentation

Remember this awesome bit of five seconds? This would come on right before a "special" on CBS, usually A Charlie Brown Christmas or other holiday show.

I swear, I heard this thing thousands of times when I was growing up, and it is permanently etched in my memory. But I haven't seen it or heard it in years, until today. What memories.

I guess the younger generation won't even know what it is, or the magic it holds.

allen

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow!

I just showed my husband the YouTube link without telling him anything else--and he said "Yeah, that's the point where we kids would clap our hands in excitement, because 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' was about to start."

Never realized how much I missed that. Thanks for the nostalgic moment.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a child of the 80s, but I still remember this. I hadn't even thought of it in years, though.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I was an 80's child too. This looks somewhat familiar, but the opening to the Wonderful World of Disney special (I think it was a Sunday night show) would really have hit home!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
WOW...How well I remember those days :) I grew up in the 70's and most of the 80's...and I remember watching those specials :) What fond memories.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
the opening to the Wonderful World of Disney special (I think it was a Sunday night show) would really have hit home!

I was looking for that one, too, actually. Sunday nights at 7 or 8, I think. And the lyrics went something like "Welcome to--Disney's Wonderful World." Is that the one?

allen

askeladd

Polyglot
Registered
Reaction score
"The Wonderful World of Disney"

I remember I always liked the cartoons better than the nature specials or other live-action shows.

Another thing: Who remembers "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom"?

I saw a special on the Discovery Channel the other day, and they had clips from Wild Kingdom from the '60's. The MC was Marlo Perkins.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember that, even as a kid, Marlin Perkins seemed to place himself well away from whatever dangerous animal he was highlighting, and faithful Jim was the one who always seemed to be a hair's breadth away from getting killed.

They did bring back the show, updated as "Wild Kingdom" on Animal Planet, but I've never been able to watch it. Just not the same. I would watch the original shows, even now.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I just found this on youtube and had to share:

A CBS Special Presentation

Remember this awesome bit of five seconds? This would come on right before a "special" on CBS, usually A Charlie Brown Christmas or other holiday show.

I swear, I heard this thing thousands of times when I was growing up, and it is permanently etched in my memory. But I haven't seen it or heard it in years, until today. What memories.

I guess the younger generation won't even know what it is, or the magic it holds.

allen

Aww, man, I miss that! It used to always come on before some of my favorite movies (Charlotte's Web and Rikki Tikki Tavi (sp?) being among my favorites) would come on.

The only thing I didn't like was the way it paused near the end, before finishing. This must have something to do with my connection speed.

But boy, those were the days, weren't they?

:)

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow. I remember that. That used to give me goosebumps because I loved the beat and it always meant something exciting was going to happen.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, I remember that bumper vividly! Cool!

"The Wonderful World of Disney"

I remember I always liked the cartoons better than the nature specials or other live-action shows.
I was a kid during the sixties and I loved that show. Like you, I thought the cartoons were the best.

I remember that, even as a kid, Marlin Perkins seemed to place himself well away from whatever dangerous animal he was highlighting, and faithful Jim was the one who always seemed to be a hair's breadth away from getting killed.
Yeah! I loved that show! Robin Williams did a riff on that in one of his concert videos: "And now, Jim is going to circumcise a water buffalo." :roll:

I remember one episode where Marlin actually got into the water with a giant anaconda and my dad said something like, "Serve him right if it ate him."

Last edited:

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Who remembers "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom"?

I still have the vague idea lodged irrevocably in my mind that that show was filmed on location in Omaha. I've never been to Omaha, but I'm pretty sure they don't have lions.

I remember the CBS Special Presentation thing very well--it makes me excited even now to think about it!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I missed half of the 70's, but this is stuck in my brain from the 80s programming on Nickelodeon:
Thames.jpg

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I missed half of the 70's, but this is stuck in my brain from the 80s programming on Nickelodeon:
Thames.jpg

That brings back some memories for me too. In the 70's, Thames produced The Benny Hill show. It used to appear on Channel 10 here, (PBS), late at night.

Wonderful show!

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Oh man, flashback city! I was born in 1970. This reminds me of our old TV with the knob that none of us kids were strong enough to turn. We'd have to call our mom down to the basement to change the channels. Thanks for posting!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really dating myself here....

I have this memory of my dad bringing home this translucent plastic sheet which was supposed to turn your b&w TV into colour. It had 3 fat horizontal stripes: red, blue and yellow. Oh yeah, hi tech there. If there was a scene with sky, you'd put the sheet blue stripe up. If there was water, flip it around.

Poor dad, he thought it was a good thing.