PDA

View Full Version : Injecting morphone: into vein or anywhere?

JoNightshade
06-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Quick question. If you're using a syringe to inject someone with morphine, would you need to do it directly into a vein, or could you just stick it in the butt or shoulder?

Shwebb
06-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that morphine gets injected into the vein. If you want more info, I can ask the husband--he's a medic.

JoNightshade
06-22-2007, 10:29 PM
All I needed was a yes or no. Pretty familiar with the rest. I was just sitting here writing this whole scene where a girl is injecting someone with morphine... and then I was like, Crud, does it even go directly into the vein??? ;)

Thanks!

Petroglyph
06-22-2007, 11:03 PM
You can give morphine different ways. It works faster if it goes into a vein but it works longer if given into the subcutaneous layer. So it depends in the skill of the injector and also the effect you want.

Jamesaritchie
06-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Morphine works either way, and also works with intramuscular injections, but it's more effective and faster when injected into a vein.

ColoradoGuy
06-23-2007, 12:12 AM
As others have said, it can go either IV or IM. Usual IV dose is 0.05-0.1 mg/kg IV, about twice that if used IM. It comes in syringes of various strengths, but the most common concentration used in adults is 10 mg/mL.