Status
Not open for further replies.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
I think I remember a thread about this recently, I searched for it but couldn't find it.

Does anyone know what the standard issue weapons for an FBI agent would be? Also, are they different from what a state or local police agency would issue? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FBI uses Glock 40 cal model 22: A lot of small police depts. are going to Glock .

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Our local PD's went to Glock a few years ago and were a bit unhappy with them, now many use Sig Sauers or H&K's.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
FBI uses Glock 40 cal model 22: A lot of small police depts. are going to Glock .

That changes every now and again as well. Wasn't FBI standard carry S&W 10MM a long while back? Oh and Glocks suck.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That changes every now and again as well. Wasn't FBI standard carry S&W 10MM a long while back? Oh and Glocks suck.
Looking at hubby: no change on that right now and yes Glocks have been known to suck; cause undue accidents.
My fav gun is now his retired silver six shooter that he gave me, luvs that one. I'll check the model -- Looks like Roy Rogers gun...I won't touch his tempermental Glock he uses on duty.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at hubby: no change on that right now and yes Glocks have been known to suck; cause undue accidents.
My fav gun is now his retired silver six shooter that he gave me, luvs that one. I'll check the model -- Looks like Roy Rogers gun...I won't touch his tempermental Glock he uses on duty.

I don't know what Roy carried. :) I had a S&W 686 that I loved but went to semi-auto and have a Sig 220 now.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what Roy carried. :) I had a S&W 686 that I loved but went to semi-auto and have a Sig 220 now.
Well the sixth shooter were police standard issue about 25 years--they've issued others and now he uses the...Glock--yuck on that, but need to keep our weapons as powerful as the "bad boys". Now his trunk...Whoa, an aresenal to be sure as he's sniper on S.W.A.T. team as well. ;) take care of what that lil bit of rope won't, on those bad boys. My policy always being "hang em high" course I'm a First Responder's family :)

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many departments use 10mm anymore, I think the .45 is becoming a lot more popular. But it varies widely from department to department. And in the smaller police departments, they don't always have the fund to issue weapons, so all the officers might carry different weapons.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Just as a point to consider - would an older agent retain the weapon he was first issued if they preferred/allowed it? If the acency went through a number of changes, you could almost guess someone's age by the type and model of firearm?

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many departments use 10mm anymore, I think the .45 is becoming a lot more popular. But it varies widely from department to department. And in the smaller police departments, they don't always have the fund to issue weapons, so all the officers might carry different weapons.

Most agencies that tried the 10mm abandoned it when the .40 S&W came out. The 40 has much better acuary and control.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The 40 has much better acuary and control.

No kidding! I couldn't believe the difference. I was afraid to shoot the .40 at first, thinking it would be a big ass gun to shoot but it's comfortable and far more accurate than the S&W 9mm I was used to.

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
In case anyone's interested, the armed officers of the British Police force Service carry Glock 9mm. (Blech indeed). And MP5's for long guns.

However, I gather there is more flexibility for SWAT.

The British Army standard sidearm is a Browning Hi-power (also 9mm I think), so the MP's and whatnot also carry them.

In case you're interested.

Last edited:

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
As mentioned, the FBI currently issues new agents a .40 caliber Glock 22 or 23 upon graduation from Quanitco. I think they are either issued or allowed to carry a Glock 27 back-up. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the info is opsec sensitive.

The FBI used to issue 9mm Sig Sauers, models 226 and 229 (maybe 228). No longer. They also briefly flirted with the SW 1076 in 10mm, a cartridge which was developed specifically for them. That didn't work out so well. Even earlier, the Bureau issued .38 Caliber Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolvers... at least I think that was the model number.

As I understand it (I might be wrong), agents can carry whatever they were issued. So there might still be a few kicking around who carry wheel-guns. I am also of the understanding (might be wrong) that there are other approved weapons. For instance, an agent who is issued a Glock might choose to carry a .40 caliber SIG 229 if they buy it. Kimmi could probably confirm or deny that.

FBI SWAT agents are issued the Springfield Bureau Model. As far as I know (and I don't know everything), they are the only Feds allowed to carry 1911, although I do know the US Marshal SOG gets Springfield Operator .45's, so maybe I'm wrong. Also, I think FBI HRT operators are allowed to choose whatever sidearm they want, though most choose that Springfield Bureau model. They used to be issued .45. cal Para-Ordinance 1911's, and before that it was Browning Hi-Powers in 9mm.

Long arms. FBI agents also have access to MP5 SMG's, which I believe are/have been phased out in favor of M4 style carbines (I think they might use the DEA Model Rock River carbine). They also have access to Remington 870 12 gauage shotguns. And of course, SWAT Teams, Regional Enhanced SWAT Teams, and the HRT have everything from Remington 700 sniper rifles and P90 submachineguns to grenade launchers, Barret .50 cal anti-materiele rifles, and yes, even Squad Assault Weapon Machine Guns.

Local cops carry virtually every sort of mid to full size 9mm, .38 caliber, .40 cal and .45 cal handgun under the sun. I think by numbers the front runners are Glock, SIG Sauer and Heckler & Koch. Maybe Smith and Wesson is in there.

All of my information has been gleaned from open source, so much of it may be wrong. Anyone who knows better, feel free to correct it. (I'm looking at you Kimmi)

Also, if you're curious about other federal law enforcement agencies, let us know.

Doug Johnson

Registered
Reaction score

The smaller model 23 is often recommended for women, although there's some debate about whether that's necessary. Secret Service uses the Sig. Some FBI agents have them too.

I understand that the Secret Service studied all the models pretty carefully and lots of police department are adopting Sig's based on the Secret Service's conclusions. I guess Kimi and I could both be right. If we're not, I'm sure someone will let us know.

Last edited:

Doug Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Using Google, I found the FBI agent in charge of making the decision talking about it, on a firearms message board. I believe he said they've never had an official weapon, and even though new agents get Glocks now, that's still's not the last word on the issue and it might change.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Using Google, I found the FBI agent in charge of making the decision talking about it, on a firearms message board. I believe he said they've never had an official weapon, and even though new agents get Glocks now, that's still's not the last word on the issue and it might change.
Agree with you guys--S.W.A.T a total different baby as well as personal weapons of law enforcement. They are allowed to buy when they retire of if an issued gun is discontinued so to speak.

And you need to look at the Dept. Our PD is large so they have the funds to upgrade yada yada, keep up with the bad boys.

The FBI agent--friend, she has been issued a Glock and can only carry what is issued to her--holstered that is. Vehicle is different matter as well as off duty.

Now hubby must have a gun on him at all times--if found in public off duty w/o he's suspended--yep even at church :)

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
The FBI agent--friend, she has been issued a Glock and can only carry what is issued to her--holstered that is. Vehicle is different matter as well as off duty.

Now hubby must have a gun on him at all times--if found in public off duty w/o he's suspended--yep even at church :)

Well, there ya go... I was wrong. I was under the impression there was a list of approved weapons that the agents could buy on their own to carry on-duty (not just off) if they did not want to carry their issued weapon. Learn something new every day.

What does hubby do? If PerSec isn't an issue...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there ya go... I was wrong. I was under the impression there was a list of approved weapons that the agents could buy on their own to carry on-duty (not just off) if they did not want to carry their issued weapon. Learn something new every day.

What does hubby do? If PerSec isn't an issue...
police commander.

Selimthegrim

Ottoman Sultan
Registered
Reaction score

You're actually right, Grift, at least according to Joseph W. Koletar's book "The FBI Career Guide." According to him, the Bureau allows agents to purchase an alternate weapon to be carried on-duty as well as off-duty. However, the weapon must be chosen from an approved list of guns and calibers. Koletar notes that most agents do this when they want a lighter gun for off-duty purposes, but don't generally replace their service weapon when on-duty. Those who do tend to be in managerial positions, again, according to Koletar. Unfortunately, he doesn't provide a list of the guns and their calibers, which I'd be very happy to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.