Your Favorite Distraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
What pulls you away from writing? What do you enjoy <gasp> almost as much as writing? To clarify: this is not about what annoying distractions you have (the dog, the TV, the kids), but about other hobbies and interests that 'compete' for your time.

Here are some of mine:

- golf
- photography
- the kids (sometimes annoying, but they're my favorite people ever) ;)

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
I really struggle sometimes trying to find a balance between dance and writing. They both take a lot of creative energy and, despite the fact that some of my first favorite novels were about dance, I don't always have enough in me to do both.

I'm also a roleplayer and that can eat up a good deal of time, especially on precious weekends.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Belly dance. Actually, it's less of a distraction than an aid to opening my creative flow. When I can't write, I get up and dance for a while. I'll practice whatever choreography I'm being taught at the time, or improv to some of my favorites...it doesn't matter. I get moving, and suddenly my brain explodes with ideas.

Movement is good.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A trip to Cold Mountain Ice Cream and the Bookstore

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Meerkat, Stormie, and Maestro. This place is my biggest distraction. :Hammer:

Ab_Normal

Registered
Reaction score
Video games (at home) and teh intarwebs (at work). My current nefarious plan to make myself concentrate is to use the family laptop, upon which there are *no* games installed... doesn't help with the internet problem, though. ;)

(I have to avoid gaming anyway, for health reasons. Darn thumbs.)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
What pulls you away from writing? What do you enjoy <gasp> almost as much as writing? To clarify: this is not about what annoying distractions you have (the dog, the TV, the kids), but about other hobbies and interests that 'compete' for your time.

Here are some of mine:

- golf
- photography
- the kids (sometimes annoying, but they're my favorite people ever) ;)

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is AbsoluteWrite. ;)

However, I think I like my music a bundle, and if I could ever get a model railroad built up again, I would probably spend a lot of time operating it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My fav. distraction would have to be taking my dog for long walks in the woods. We sometimes go for hours at a time. It's very therapeutic, but sometimes a day will go by while we're there. That's a lot of missed writing.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That box of moving light and sound, with the miniature people singing and dancing and trying to make me buy their miniature cars and furniture, making me laugh at their mishaps (oh, will those seven miniature people find their way off that teeny, tiny island?). You know. Telev Izion. It's Russian, isn't it?

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I like to look at the luxury real estate online and in the local estate agent magazine, and indulge in stupid daydreams. If I have a good book on, it does tend to get difficult to wait til bedtime to read it.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
LOST. Watching LOST. Trying to work out the mysteries of LOST. Thank goodness it's summer and there's not as much going on in that arena.

jmindigo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeantatro.com
The internet distracts me from my writing most often, but it's not my favorite distraction - my favorites are watching tv(usually either the History, Discovery, Sci-fi or Cartoon Network channel, depending on the time of day), and playing video games.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Reading, going to the bookstore, playing with my dog, cuddling with my Husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.