View Full Version : Basketball: Form for Passing the Ball

06-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I want to liken a movement a character is making to passing a basketball in a way I've seen amateur players do. What's distinctive about it the elbows are up and out, defensively (inviting fouls)
the ball is gripped with both hands kind of upside down, the thumbs more or less pointing toward the floor and the backs of the hands toward the players body, usually the upper abdomen or the chest (inviting players to steal the ball)
the ball can be snapped quite hard, often for distance, moving it downcourt to an open player

Is this an acceptable form at the college level and in the pros, or something only kids who haven't been taught any better use? If it's a real 'move,' does it have a name?

My story is a little gotcha in which the reader is allowed to assume the narrator is female, but I'm dropping in a few clues that in hindsight will add to the I-should-have-known reaction.

Maryn, actually writing (!)

06-22-2007, 05:31 PM
What you've described (very well) is the basic 'chest pass' position. I'd also add the foot movement, stepping forward and "into" the pass. Though basic, it is used regularly by pros. It allows for ultimate control and power.