Making a big decision here.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
And for those of you who don't know me, I hatehatehate making big decisions -- would much rather prefer that they made themselves for me.

In any case. I've been saving a lot of money since I moved to BaChina. I've never saved a friggin' dime before I came here --in fact, I've enjoyed quite a bit of debt in my time-- but because everything's cheap here and because, relatively speaking, I make a ton of money (oh, and because I've been working three jobs) I've managed to stash away a decent sum of good ol' RMB.

Thing is, I've been so busy here that I haven't had a chance to write anything in forever. With the exception of a couple of poems that flopped, I've written next to nothing, and've actually completed less. So, looking at my little savings account mcpaper-jiggy yesterday, I realized that I have more than enough money to live on this summer, and then BAGLOOMYTRON! it came to me: I should take the summer off to write.

And that's what I'm trying to decide on now. Should I?

There're a couple of problems to take into account, however:

1) I know myself; in the course of these three months, that money'll be completely spent and my savings account'll be dry. No exceptions.

b) I'm a lazy motherfucker and it's possible that I'm only making this decision so I can have a break from work, and that I'm using writing as an excuse. I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to write for three months.

4) I've never seriously attempted to write a novel before, so I don't even know how to go about doing it. I'd hate to waste three months and all my savings to find out what I fear the most: that I'm really not cut out to be a writer.

Whattya' think, folks?

Should I go for it?

I need a bit of a push.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, man. I only do my best work when I'm supposed to be doing something else, so I'm no help.

But you're too bloody good a writer not to write.

Big question: Whatchagonnawrite? That's my bete noire. Words, but no direction. So I write a bunch of half-assed stuff - a plain littered with small piles that I can't shift into a single mountain. That's actually my life, pretty much.

Stuff it. You're young and handsome; the world's your slimy shellfish-thing. And you can save again. Do it now. Gather ye rosebuds, and dare to eat a peach, I say.*

Report back every week with what you've written, so we can give you some motherguilt and check your eyes for bloodshots.

*: But maybe take an accounting course, just to be safe. :D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm thinking this is like one of those signs you see on doors giving access to top secret military areas in the movies:

AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY.
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, YOU AREN'T.

If you have to stop and ask, if your writing isn't calling to you in the dead of the night like a nymphomaniac lover, demanding you take time off and hit that keyboard until it comes apart under physical stress, then maybe "you aren't" applies.

I vote keep working, keep saving. Write your novel in your head and on scraps of state-issue toilet paper. When it's ready to flood out, that's when to see about taking time off.

-Derek

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
These are q's you might ask yourself:
Why does this need to be a BIG decision?
Given your own arguments, could you be
trying to trap yourself?
If you're working three jobs, why not quit just one or two, instead of all of them? - you'll have time to write, and keep some income for other cool things you could do while you're not working.
DO you have a story you are ready to write?
You strike me as someone who doesn't let obstacles get in your way, really now...when you're ready to write, you'll write. And if you don't have a story, how much of the summer will be spent dancing with an idea, only to run out of money and then not finish anyway?

OK, enough Devil's advocate .
But seriously, you moved far away to another country- you can make big decisions.
I think you need an ego feed (in a good way)
We want you to write. We miss your work. Please, oh please, pleasepleaseplease, find a way to write something!!!
(but why add the pressure of a diminishing bank account in a foreign land????)

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Well, I've got an idea, and I think it's a good idea. I just have commitment issues, I guess, and I'm afraid that once it begins to pan out I'm not going to like it anymore.

I've thought about keeping one of my jobs. I work as a college professor during the day -- that one's already gone 'cause school just ended. Otherwise, I just teach English part-time during the evenings, and tutor students in English literature when I can find someone whose English is good enough.

You're right, I can make decisions -- but potentially irresponsible decisions are hard as winter-nipples for me to make.

I'm just good at talking myself out of things, especially things I'm sensitive about, like writing. I don't want to talk myself out of this, but at the same time I do.

It comes down to: you have to write to be a writer. And that's difficult.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know you well enough to say one way or the other, but it sounds like, for you, it could easily turn into a wasted three months.

You might think of using your creativity to come up with another option, or at least to insure that you use the time to accomplish something. Saying, "I'm going to take time off and write" can easily turn into "I'll get started . . . tomorrow."

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know very well what I think of your writing, and I'd very much like to see a big, fat chunk of words under your byline, but I'm thinking splitting the baby on this one might be the way to go.

Knowing that you're not entirely reliable to use this time to write is the key. I have the same issues (the last three chapters of my novel have been sitting open for three days, because as soon as I'm done with _____, I'm gonna get cracking.) I'd spend all the money and maybe have a high wordcount to show for it, or maybe I'd just have a rash, a hangover and five pounds to lose.

Scale back and find time to enjoy yourself and write. You, my love, can do it all.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since you asked:

MHO - don't do it. keep working and saving your money. wait til you have a Gnormous amount of cash and go somewhere really cool to write - like Tahiti or some place - YOWZA -

eom

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Will you have a job to go back to in the fall? If yes, then imo you should do this because while you may be broke of the end of the summer, you will not have the stress of thinking about having to look for a job sitting at the back of your mind. Just treat writing like a job and put in x number of hours a day dedicated to nothing but your work, and perhaps check it off on the calendar to give you some visual incentive.

You can do this, so give it a go.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've always tried to write in avoidance of having to lie on my death bed some day, thinking, "I could've been great... if only I'd given it a decent shot..."
Or worse, you could be lying on your death bed some day thinking, "I've been shot... I only wish I could have avoided being decent."

...Uh, never mind, that seemed a lot funnier when I was typing it.

-Derek

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
If you have to stop and ask, if your writing isn't calling to you in the dead of the night like a nymphomaniac lover, demanding you take time off and hit that keyboard until it comes apart under physical stress, then maybe "you aren't" applies.

:roll: What a load of bullshit! It was funny though.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Zach, you're what, 23 years old? Live! Travel. Do something for fun for the summer. There'll always be work when Fall comes. And so what if you are using "writing" as an excuse to waste away your summer and money? You're not 45 years old with a bunch of kids to feed -- it's okay to be a bit irresponsible. But you won't know until you do it. You may even write something, start on a novel, write about your experiences in China (and I sure will be the first to want to read that), etc. etc.

One suggestion - if you really don't want all your money to be gone, stash half of that away into a savings account that you will NOT touch no matter what. That way, you set yourself free to do whatever with the other half -- maybe that will alleviate some of your guilt if you do spend it all.

But seriously, man, you're in China, one of the most beautiful and fascinating countries in the world, plus there are nearby countries like Japan or Vietnam or Thailand where you can visit. Go. And write something while you're on your way. Have fun, and live life to the fullest.

When I was 23, I had only $2000 in my name. I worked full-time but I did take long summers off to travel, etc. I went everywhere, staying at youth hostels, taking buses, etc. No, I wasn't a writer then so I didn't have that kind of ambition. But the truth is that I was very happy doing what I liked. And that's the key. Doing what you "LIKE." There's so much to experience and learn and see.

I see the dilemma of saving money -- on one hand, we need money. We need to be "responsible" and think about the future, etc. On the other hand, it can be a trap. When I was 23 and had only $2000 in the bank and made $30,000 a year, I was still happy. I lived on almost nothing, and I didn't need much. I got to travel and have fun and had lots of friends. Now fast forward a few years later when I started to save -- I had more money saved, made twice as much, but had less time and fewer friends, and traveled only for work. I got a 3-week vacation every year; that's all. I know it was about growing up, and it was time for me to grow up.

But you're 23. No big hurry to grow up yet.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't you just pare the three jobs down to one more manageable job and find more time in your life to write?

I'm thinking there is a happy medium between work all the time and write all the time.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hot damn, Zach, you're getting some first-rate advice here. My piddling little addition is nothing much.

A simple linear novel is a huge and complex beast and may require a lot more time for planning, researching, and writing than you have funds to cover, NaNoWriMo notwithstanding.

The skills sets for novels and short stories overlap substantially. Perhaps you should consider writing shorter fiction during your time off, knocking out a 2500 or 3000 word short story every two weeks or so. You can attempt to market each one, or put 'em up at the appropriate SYW board to see what your flaws as a fiction writer might be, before you tackle the beast.

That's fully doable, and allows you time to do other things, too, while testing your mettle about whether you can sit down and write as promised. You could even pick up some publishing credits and/or spare cash.

If you do decide to take time off to write and need an uberMom to shame and goad you into writing (and/or eating wisely, cleaning the pigsty where you live, and sitting up straight), you know where to find me.

Maryn, whose own son is pretty much inured to all prods, after all this time