Invent a creature (Urban Fantasy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Vampires are dull and werewolves apparently are too. Mages, witches and ghosts. Zombies are boring us and it seems it's hard to come up with something new in the Urban Fantasy realm.

So let's see what we can come up with, folks. We've got to strain our brains to the max and think up something neato and weird. Let me start with two...come up with as many as you want, and lay them out vaugely like this.

Name: Rythe.

Nickname: Sheets

Description: Sort of like a cross between a jellyfish and a bag of leaves, a Rythe floats through the air in the same way a jellyfish does, with lots of tendrils that flair out behind it. The bag of leaves comes in due to it's lumpy body, which glows from within. Rythe's are capable of speech, though it is normally slow and dull, plodding even. Rythe's are not the best conversationalists. And they don't think very fast, either. This, coupled with the fact that they suck the life energy out of people just through physical contact, makes it hard for them to hold down a desk job. Most Rythe can be found floating through sewers, tool box in hand, fixing broken tubing. A few rouge Rythe plague abandoned houses, feeding illegally off the life energy of hobos.

How to kill it: Really, it involves a lot of shooting at it's vaguely defined center. Eventually, one of the bullet'll hit the brain and it'll explode.

Name: Mindrender

Nickname: Slivers

Description: Mindrender's stand at about six feet, normally, and have a width of about half a foot. Incredibly thin, Slivers have elongated heads (like the Alien from Alien) and mouths that open vertically. They are vicious, predatory and often emerge from their hiding place, grab children off the streets, then vanish. Mostly the children are found years later...or at least pieces of their skeletons are. Sliver's also have long claws attached to their pointer fingers, claws that can retract when necessary. They only have a basic intelligence, enough to open doors, hide and vocalize like a parrot. They are hunted down mercilessly when they are found. The name Mindrender comes from their high pitched voices that only children, dogs and other animals can hear. Cases of young children being driven to hysterical fits by a nearby Sliver's constant voice are common place.

How to kill it: Guns. Lots of guns. Or a flamethrower, if you're some kind of paramilitary nutcase!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Name: Insurance agent

Nickname: Varies. Bob, Kyle, Kevin, Jo Beth, etc. have been recorded.

Description: It nests in paper-lined cubicals, emerging often to feed off prudent types. Using fear of loss and scary statistics, they are able to drain off cash.

How to kill it: You can't.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Telemarketer? Able to get through even if your phone is unplugged?

Seriously, if you want some truly inventive creatures, read the wonderful Silver John stories by Manly Wade Wellman. I guess you could call them Rural Fantasy.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Name: Bulgers (named after Dane Bulger, the first person to discover -- and get killed by -- these strange animals)

Nickname: Yips

Description: Yips are vaguely dog-like creatures. Their skin is covered with dull, mottled scales and they have a ridge of quill-like spines along their upper back and shoulders that puff out when angry. They stand at about four feet tall, five with spines, and can sprint faster than a car at short range. Their front feet only have two prominent toes with large barbed claws, and one thumb-like toe that hangs at the side of their wrist/ankle. By barbed claws, I mean that each claw has a lining of very small, tightly grouped, poison-tipped barbs, which give the claws a rough rather than smooth appearance. Their back feet hold three large toes for better traction and balance and have smaller claws than the front feet. The tail is more lizardlike than anything, and the tip has another ridge of quill-like spines that usually lay flat, but can quickly become a pincushion and be swung like a club. Their heads are shaped like a cross between a cat and a dog. Short whiskers line their muzzle. Like their claws, their bite is poisonous and can kill within minutes. Their eyes are solid black and glow voilet in the dark. They usually hunt in packs and are known to pick off stray animals or any lone human. The guess is that they are smarter than dogs, but not quite as smart as chimps. Sightings have occured in and out of city limits. They are called "Yips" because of the hyena-like yips used when chasing prey.

How to kill: any method as long as it's at a good distance. There is no chance of survival at short range.

DracoMerest

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.iinet.net.au
I have had this very thought over the past few days after reading comments from several people about their dread of reading a fantasy with vampires or zombies. (no offence) However, the task seemed daunting for one person. Especially one whose preference is laser beams and time travel. And having said that, may I present an alternative to everything you expected? (You thought I’d offer anything different?)

Name: Glyxelplik

Nickname: Glytch/Glitch

Description: Being the psychic emanation of latent magical energy from two or more people in close proximity who have opposing natures, these forces have no physical presence. Their generation often coincides with future eddies where the people present will come into conflict or, through interaction cause one of them to regret an action. Where there will be conflict, unexpected accidents may occur where neither party will accept responsibility (a glass falling to the floor) or an indefinable tension will be felt.

Often termed ‘cupboard blindness’, where an object cannot be seen although it is actually present, the delay caused can lead to either prevention of a future tragedy or be the cause; in both cases, the outcome of would have been different had the object been located as expected. An example would be looking for keys which are overlooked even though plainly visible.

How To Kill: This is a phenomena which can be avoided but not completely subdued.

Draco Merest...
[o]

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Name: The Geolfer.

Nickname: Bob

Description: At first appears to be harmless, just one of the fellas. Often wears pastels in a nice stretchy knit. Has a nice tan. At his most dangerous on Monday mornings. Kills by repeatedly telling what he shot, what the greens were like, how he played that dogleg on hole 3, how it barely missed the putt on 14, and other stories from The Links of the Damned until his victims want to kill themselves. He has been known to stalk his intended victims through meetings, deadlines, office parties, and even . . . yes, 401K meetings! The devil!

How to kill it: Have his wife divorce him and take all his money . . . and his clubs.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Name: Insurance agent

Nickname: Varies. Bob, Kyle, Kevin, Jo Beth, etc. have been recorded.

Description: It nests in paper-lined cubicals, emerging often to feed off prudent types. Using fear of loss and scary statistics, they are able to drain off cash.

How to kill it: You can't.

*snort!* That's the scariest critter I've ever heard of, seconded by the omnipresent an eerily omniscient do-gooder with an agenda.

DracoMerest

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.iinet.net.au
Name: Tuberage

Nickname: Tube/Pipe Worm

Description: A worm like creature with a distended central orifice enabling it to expand to fill the interior of a pipe. Primarily found in sewers, it filters organic matter from the water flowing through it. Its internal walls are coated with a poisonous substance similar in nature to snake venom which need not be injected. The muscles in its body are both flexible and strong enabling it to collapse into a long thin worm when moving and allowing it to anchor itself to the walls of a pipe with fast moving contents. Holding and strangling creatures which venture inside it until the poison takes effect is another purpose for the strength of its body. They can grow to any size.

How To Kill: Localized wounding, as with a gun, will cause no great damage. Cutting a Tuberage into small pieces ensures its death.

Draco…
[o]

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Name: Illy

Nickname: m%#&@*f&$#**##!!!

Description: A pint-sized, invisible demon whose only goal in life is to eff you up as much as possible. Knocks the soap out of your hand in the shower. Causes the refrigerator door to swing around and bang you in the head while you're putting away the groceries. Slides the coffee table out an inch or so so that you'll bang the hell out of your toe. And why? Just so that he can laugh hysterically while you're raging over it.

How to kill it: laugh along with it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Name: Dragon-eatting Virgin

Nickname: Broomhilda

Description: A pimple packing wanna-be nerd who sits in the corner reading fantasy, especially any book with a dragon on the cover. After finishing the novel she will try to convince the next ten people she sees how wonderful the book was. Unfortunately her conversation skills are akin to that of a medieval stable hand. She also has the same hygine ethic. Reality escapes this poor creature, especially when she picks up her next book.

How to kill it: Best to avoid this creature, and head for anywhere with sunlight instead. If you find yourself cornered, cover your face to avoid contracting disease and nod vigourously as the beast assults you with bold discussional points like "Wouldn't it be kewl to ride a dragon?"

(PS- not meant to offend, I just took an idea and rolled with it)

Cheers,
Christina

DracoMerest

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.iinet.net.au
Name: Staphylofungi

Nickname: Staphlo (infected people: Stapher/Staphler)

Description: Thought to have originated from an irradiated strain of Staphylococcus infecting a homeless person suffering Adenovirus being x-rayed for spinal damage who later ate fungi/mould infected food. All three of these elements can be found when dissecting the brain of an infected person. This hybrid bacteria/fungus feeds on any organic material within the body and excretes a combination of endorphins and dopamine to form a poisonous cocktail which over stimulates the limbic system. Infected people become irrational and suffer symptoms ranging from rage and anger to fear and panic. In all cases they are unaware of their actions and will seemingly blindly attack others which invariably leads to injuries or death. The infection is easily transmitted to a victim through an open wound as most sufferers exhibit infected self inflicted wounds. A sufferer will experience a limited lifespan however, their increased strength and energy cause them to roam far in continuous search of food.

How To Kill: Incineration.

Draco...
[o]

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The Chupachobbit.

A small, 2 1/2 foot alien being naturally fat around the waist with hairy feet and tough soles, fond of smoking alien weeds, eating 6 times a day. Terrorizes cattle and steals jewelry.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, well I'll point out something- evil creatures are rarely birds (oh there's the occasional Eagle-oid... griffins, so forth... but still). Mammals, reptiles, reptil-oids (-oid means 'like' btw)

Name: Grumoa

Nickname: Fangbeak

Description: Roughly the shape of an emu, but taller, with a thicker neck and more streamlined body. Able to run down even the fastest werewolf, Grumoas enjoy feasting on all manners of flesh and carrion. The skin is thick, more typical of a dragon. Under all those feathers, scales form a chain-oid armour. If it's not coming at you with it's beak, it will snap bones with a swift kick from those powerful legs. Keep your distance from this beast.

How To Kill: Arrows with very narrow tips, shot at the jugular, is the best bet as the jugular is large and near the surface*. Piercing other areas only irritates Grumoas. Forget mortal wounds to the heart, it's near impossible.
*Sturdy cover is needed while the enraged monster bleeds out from the jugular puncture. Hint- medium trees can be reduced to splinters with one kick, don't hide in the branches of any of these

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Alright, well I'll point out something- evil creatures are rarely birds (oh there's the occasional Eagle-oid... griffins, so forth... but still). Mammals, reptiles, reptil-oids (-oid means 'like' btw)

Name: Grumoa

Nickname: Fangbeak

Description: Roughly the shape of an emu, but taller, with a thicker neck and more streamlined body. Able to run down even the fastest werewolf, Grumoas enjoy feasting on all manners of flesh and carrion. The skin is thick, more typical of a dragon. Under all those feathers, scales form a chain-oid armour. If it's not coming at you with it's beak, it will snap bones with a swift kick from those powerful legs. Keep your distance from this beast.

How To Kill: Arrows with very narrow tips, shot at the jugular, is the best bet as the jugular is large and near the surface*. Piercing other areas only irritates Grumoas. Forget mortal wounds to the heart, it's near impossible.
*Sturdy cover is needed while the enraged monster bleeds out from the jugular puncture. Hint- medium trees can be reduced to splinters with one kick, don't hide in the branches of any of these

A few days ago there was an emu running wild on my property in the mountains. Big sombeech!

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever it is ... where ever it came from ...

What you call 'brushing your teeth' ...

It calls 'coitus' ... :eek:

motorizedtoothbrushmodernm.jpg

Kristiina

In the land of frost, volcanoes, and well-armed wo
Registered
Reaction score
Er, how about just using the cryptozoology critters? Well, I suppose somebody must have done that by now, but at least I haven't read any urban fantasy with them yet. Bigfoot, canids, thunderbird and so forth.

I am right now reading the two books by Linda S. Godfrey, 'The Beast of Bray Road' and 'Hunting the American Werewolf', and some of the things people claim they have actually seen would do just great. And something else one doesn't see often in fantasy, urban or otherwise, is going back to the source, meaning folklore, when designing the monsters. If anybody has already written a story where some vampire wannabes go looking for one after hearing rumors of something being seen and people being attacked near some cemetery, and instead of finding some really good-looking and very sophisticated man or woman with an foreign accent get attacked by something which looks more like a walking, stinking and pretty mindless zombified old guy I would really like to read it.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I'm not wanting to post some of my urban fantasy creatures because they're being fleshed out in a novel I'm working on. (Yes progress is slow but I need to finish an editing pass on a completed work that's going out very soon).

One thing I do like doing is mixing some modern folklore (think MIB and the like) with historical folklore. It's provided some interesting ideas for various creatures. I also spent the time to work up an explanation behind everything paranormal which helps me when it comes to designing my urban fantasy creatures.

The cryptozoology idea is a very good one; and thanks for mentioning it Kristiina. It works right into my story.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
The DILEMMATRON-an evil machine that cannot be destroyed-it injects an unsolvable dilemma in your brain which causes the brain to explode-although it cannot be destroyed if you can solve the dilemma it will kill it-therefore an immortal evil machine for as you see it injects an unsolvable dilemma which of course insures its immortality-it is also known as the Nucular Bushmobile Library Card Unnecessary creatur- but that is a state secretion.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Urban fantasy... urban fantasy... hmm...

How 'bout this:

• Name: Homo Electrophagus
  • Nickname: "Bob"
  • Description: The beasts' perfect camouflage makes him appear as a completely mundane human. In fact, it has human origins, at one time being human – though it's current metabolism is no longer powered by chemical calories but rather electroytes. It exudes a chemical that causes its victims to exude excess metabolytes through sweating, depleting the nervous system. Attack normally goes unnoticed and normally does not result in death. With enough sustained depletion, though, death can occur. These creatures can be found in extreme environments, usually nesting in a very cold area, but hunting in very hot areas. The one confirmed sample of the species was a trainer for the UA (Crimson Tide) football team in Alabama. Others are expected but unconfirmed. They can be detected with simple EKG/EEG and are unable to wear electrical-powered equipment (like a battery-operated watch).
As I think about it, tho, it reminds me of an old Star Trek episode where the creatures sucked all the salts from their victims. Hm. I'll have to come up with another one.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I remember that Salt Monster.

Name: Deamon
PC Name: Living Impaired
Description: A normal individual who's had their soul mostly sucked out by another Deamon. Quite dead, the person undergoes a verity of physical changes. The most obvious is they grow horns, all their teeth become very sharp and their eyes turn red. Food and drink are inedible and semi-poisonous to them and they subside on souls. In this modern day and age, most of these souls are donated by a large group of kindly elderly, but only if the Living Impaired individual only nibbled on it. I mean, taking the whole soul, that's a crime. But just nibbling on it can be tolerated. Living Impaired tend to keep their old personalities, which can cause some of them no amount of distress. But a surprisingly large amount of them are chipper and happy, just willing to get along with their Death, as demonstrated by Death Day parties, Necromancy raves and occasional flying contests.

How to kill: Not only is this classified as Murder and a federal offense, but also it's very hard. People who have mistaken Living Impaired for vampires for some bizarre reason, tend to try a stake through the heart...which is normally just amusing to the said Living Impaired. More technology inclined people have tried guns and found that silver tipped bullets don't quite work. However, it has been found that any holy symbol causes uncontrollable sneezing in the Living Impaired, which has lead to the creation of new churches for Living Impaired, where the priests recite their holy texts from memory, and uses imaginary crosses. The only sure fire way is to dump one in a pit of acid, shove one in a woodchipper, light one on fire or nuke them.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Name: Lateris Creatura

Nickname: Brick Critters

Description: A famously slow moving and stubborn animal (to the point of total immobility), an individual of the species will typically grow to 8 inches in length and sport a reddish coloured coat. But these animals are rarely seen individually, preferring the safety and support of large numbers, their flocks sometimes numbering in the thousands or even tens of thousands. When on the alert for predators they form in close-knit 'walls', huddling up side by side and on top of each other, and, for extra support, sometimes two rows thick. Like the garbage-tip werewolf and the storm-drain mermaid, they have adapted well to built-up urban environments, often living side-by-side with humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.