PDA

View Full Version : 5 minutes to show/tell how to use a gun. What do you say?

JoNightshade
06-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Okay, let's say you had to show someone how to use a handgun, something like what the police use. Someone who has never shot a gun before. What would you show/tell them? (Without actually firing the gun.)

I have in fact used a gun before, but I am not very experienced and I am wondering how someone with know-how would do it.

Thanks!

Little Red Barn
06-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Safety off--site, squeeze.

alleycat
06-22-2007, 12:46 AM
How to (for an auto) . . . take out the clip, load the clip, insert the clip, chamber a round (the slide), put the safety on or off, how to hold the gun (both hands), squeeze the trigger, warn about recoil so they don't drop the gun . . . and point the part with the big hole towards the target.

JoNightshade
06-22-2007, 12:50 AM
How to (for an auto) . . . take out the clip, load the clip, insert the clip, chamber a round (the slide), put the safety on or off, how to hold the gun (both hands), squeeze the trigger, warn about recoil so they don't drop the gun . . . and point the part with the big hole towards the target.

Ah, great. As far as the clip goes, does it just pop out when you push a button or something? Do you load bullets from the top or bottom? And when you chamber the round, to clarify-- this is just pulling back on the sliding thing on the top of the gun? Can you see the actual bullet when you pull it back?

awatkins
06-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Check this out: How to Load and Fire a 9mm Pistol (http://www.wikihow.com/Load-and-Fire-a-9mm-Pistol)

Sassee
06-22-2007, 01:16 AM

For some reason this made me think of Ranger giving Stephanie Plum instructions on how to use her gun.

JoNightshade
06-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Check this out: How to Load and Fire a 9mm Pistol (http://www.wikihow.com/Load-and-Fire-a-9mm-Pistol)

Oh, perfect. THank you!!!

awatkins
06-22-2007, 04:09 AM
You're welcome. :)

Kentuk
06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Can you teach me to swim in five minutes or would the results be about the same.
The mechanics of working a gun are often simple but when, how, where and who to shoot simply can't be done adequately in five minutes.

ideagirl
06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
First, Safety:
#1: never, ever point the gun at anything you would hate to see destroyed. Even if you know it's unloaded because you just unloaded it yourself, NEVER let it point towards anything precious (people, pets, etc.) or dangerous (gas tanks, etc.). In other words, always treat it like it's loaded. That way, if it ever IS loaded and you fire it when you didn't mean to, it won't harm anything precious.

#2: never, ever hold it with your finger on the trigger. Rest your index finger alongside the trigger, on the trigger guard. Only put your finger on the trigger when you intend to fire the gun.

Second, Using It:
* Loading the clip: the clip pops out when you press the button, which is generally at the top of the grip. You put bullets in from the top and they move downwards as you load each new one--there's a spring mechanism in there that compresses more each time you add a bullet. This is a little hard on the fingers, by the way; gun shops sell little plastic doodads that help you do this. It would be quasi impossible to load a clip in the heat of a fight, so you need to do this in advance--load one or more clips, carry one in the gun and maybe a spare someplace else so if the one in the gun runs out you can pop it out and pop in the spare.

* Racking the slide: this chambers a bullet. You could see the bullet if you were looking, but that's an awkward position to be in when racking the slide. The gun is now ready to fire. Some pistols (e.g. some Berettas) also have safeties that you have to disengage before firing.

Summonere
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Something like the police use? Let's say it's a Glock. Very popular law enforcement pistol. What to say in five minutes? That depends on how dire the situation is, I suppose, and what you're up to, storytelling-wise.

So if the zombies are trying to break down your hero's door, goes like this:

1. If it's loaded, it will fire.
2. Point at zombie.
3. Pull trigger.

If you run out of ammunition, push this button (magazine release), dropping empty magazine, stick a loaded magazine in there, bullets forward, and rack the slide. Resume zombie killing.

From there it can get more technical. How much you need?

If you really want to be sure you hit what you shoot at, make sure the front sight is on target (in this case, the caseating cranium). If you want to be slightly more precise, line up the three dots, front one between the middle two of the rear sight, and put that front dot (middle one) on what you want to hit. Pull trigger. Repeat as necessary. (But if the sights are Glock's standard ones, you only get one dot, the front sight, while the rear sights are a square-ish U-shaped white outline against black. Same thing applies, though. Drop the dot in the middle of the U and put the dot on what you want to hit. Now, if you really, really want to be nitpicky, you'd "set" your target atop that front sight, and go BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! -- dead zombies! come get some you lurching fiends! -- BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! -- except at most pistol-shooting distances, this textbook sighting produces merely negligible differences.)

Got a little more time than that? Okay.

1. Here's the magazine release button. Press that, the magazine pops out.
2. Here are your bullets. Load magazine this way: Pointy end to the front. (Depending on model and caliber of our sample Glock, it may be anywhere from six to seventeen rounds. *Oh, and yeah, I forgot, there are 33-round magazines as well, particularly useful for the zombie-matic Glock 18.)
3. Insert magazine firmly into pistol until it locks in place.
4. Rack the slide fully and smartly to the rear, letting it fly forward on its own. (If it doesn't go fully into battery -- that is, fully forward -- give it a swift rap on the back.)

Pistol is now loaded and ready to fire when you pull the trigger.

1. Here is the front sight and here is the rear sight. Line these things up, centering the front sight between the notch of the rear sight, keeping the tops of those sights even-steven. Set what you want to hit right above that front sight.
2. Pull trigger.
3. BLAM! BLAM! -- die zombies! die!
4. If you experience a failure to fire, 1) tap magazine base firmly to assure proper seating, 2) rack slide smartly to rear, letting it fly forward on its own, 3) pull trigger -- BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! -- dead zombies!
5. If you experience a stovepipe jam (empty shell sticking up through ejection port), rake it out of there with a swift sweep of your hand from front to rear. If this doesn't work, the zombies will eat you.
6. When you run out of ammunition, this thingy here, the slide lock lever, will hold the slide open, in which case you, 1) press magazine button, ejecting magazine (and if it doesn't fall, just grab it here, through this little notch at the base of the grip, and rip it out), 2) grab a loaded magazine and shove it smartly into the grip, 3) a) press that slide lock lever to let the slide fly into battery, loading the pistol, in which case you can go -- BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! -- some more, or, b) after slide lock, eject empty magazine, insert loaded one, pull slide fully to rear with free hand (it won't move much) and let it fly into battery, resuming zombie killing with fresh ammo. [The "a" and "b" here represent differing training methods taught by competing schools. Some say "a" is faster, some say "b" is more reliable.]

Oh, but if you experience a double-feed failure ... zombies will likely eat you. Still, if you have time while they're gnawing on your leg:

1. Press magazine release button.
2. Rip that empty magazine out (it will likely be stuck).
3. Rack the slide (three times if you're going all textbookey, and those cadaverous teeth on your shin-bone don't hurt too much).
4. Insert fresh magazine.
5. Release slide to load pistol.
6. Evacuate skull of zombie gnawing at your shin bone.
7. Save one bullet. You'll need it for when you start to change.

Oh, and possibly most important of all: Don't shoot friendlies. In this case, that would be whatever character gave this other one a gun and a quickie "here's what you do."

RumpleTumbler
06-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Forget center mass if your target might be wearing a vest and go for the BRAIN.

Tsu Dho Nimh
06-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Aiming is simple: you "point your index finger" at the person you want to shoot, and aim for the middle of the torso. Even novices can be fairly accurate that way if the gun is anywhere close to accurate.

Your chances of hitting something that will kill or severely disable the target are quite good ... heart, guts, spine, lungs.

Rabe
06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Okay, let's say you had to show someone how to use a handgun, something like what the police use. Someone who has never shot a gun before. What would you show/tell them? (Without actually firing the gun.)

I have in fact used a gun before, but I am not very experienced and I am wondering how someone with know-how would do it.

Thanks!

In the 'heat of the moment' kind of thing?

Though it was a horrible movie, I *still* remember the line from 'Fair Game' on how to shoot. The police character (Stephen Baldwin) is telling the photographer character (Cindy Crawford) how to shoot a gun:

"It's just like a camera - you just point and shoot."

Seems like that'll be a quick way to do it.

However, if it's not a 'heat of the moment' thing and there's time...why would I take *only* five minutes for something as dangerous as using a weapon?

Rabe...

shakeysix
06-28-2007, 09:46 AM
my father, nicknamed jug, was an ex-marine, a hunter. we always had guns around the house and we all learned how to shoot as kids. later, when i was married, there had been a string of rapes in our small town. people were buying guns. my new york husband was plenty brave but he stood five foot five and had never held a gun in his life. i asked my dad for a gun. he said i could have one if i promised to file the sites off the barrel. i asked why. he answered "so when the intruder takes it away from you and sticks it up your butt it won't hurt so much."--s6

The_Grand_Duchess
06-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Aiming is simple: you "point your index finger" at the person you want to shoot, and aim for the middle of the torso. Even novices can be fairly accurate that way if the gun is anywhere close to accurate.

Your chances of hitting something that will kill or severely disable the target are quite good ... heart, guts, spine, lungs.

See but that won't work on zombies. Everyone knows you need a headshot to take them down completly.

Summonere
06-29-2007, 03:43 AM
See but that won't work on zombies. Everyone knows you need a headshot to take them down completly.

And there's that salt thing, if you can get one to take a nip.:)