A couple of questions, help appreciated.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I've got a novel-length WIP underway, but want to ocassionally take a diversion by way of the odd short story, and I'm toying with different themes. I'm curious whether anyone has any information regarding... (Note, I'm skeptical there is anything so precise as I've indicated, but if anyone even has a gut feeling from experience in wriiting erotica, that would be useful).

(1) The approximate male/female ratio of readers of erotica in general (which I suspect would be very dependent on specific themes)

(2) I doubt it, but is there any reasonably accurate data collated anywhere (accessible by web) that would give some indications of frequency of specific kinks or fantasies (better still by gender). I suspect that is a silly "if only" question, but who knows?

(3) A specific, the degree to which M/M play within the context of mixed-gender group sex (i.e. bi or bi-curious play as opposed to gay relationships) appeals to readers. And a slight variation on that, where the M/M is in the context of sumbmission to F.

It may be a bit optimistic on my part expecting get very clear answers to these, but you never know what research may have been done already. And I am speaking in the context of short fiction. Hope these questions are not too ridiculous in terms of my asking for such "pat" answers, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a clue about any statistics, but, in a sense, you could sort of create your own, by checking the archives at cleansheets.com or the erotica readers & writers site's fiction archives or some of the other sites like .... oh, heck, I've forgotten the name, but there are a few other free erotic fiction sites listed at the ERWA site. I would assume that the subgenres and kinks represented in those archives are a fairly representative cross-section, and would at least give you somewhere to start.

I believe they're all sites that draw both male and female readers, and it would probably be possible to see some patterns in the stories they publish, which might carry over to other readerships. Ruthie's Club (quick plug for self here -- they ran a short story of mine back in February) has some sample stories, and they market to both men and women, so that might be another place to check.

Beyond that, there's a lot to be said for just getting a bunch of samples from potential markets and reading them. I did that a couple years ago, not in a truly scientific/statistical manner, but by reading several books (anthologies) by a given publisher, back to back, it didn't take long for me to sort the publishers into two piles: those that fit my style and were potential markets for my stories, and those that didn't fit. The thing is, though, that another writer who also writes erotic romance read the exact same books (I sent them to her after I was finished studying them), and came to an almost diametrically opposite conclusion about which ones were a potential market for her. I think there was only one publisher we both said we'd be reluctant to send anything to, not because it was a bad publisher, but b/c there was something intangible about the stories that just didn't mesh with our styles.

JD