Status
Not open for further replies.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
And editors and publishers and agents and storytellers and illustrators and translators and GREAT restaurants and pubs even. How about we meet up socially once a month where we can park for free and maybe get free appetizers with a cash bar.
I'm thnking Cavatorre's on Ella and TC Jester( 1 light off 610 and Ella)-a 100 year old barn with original wood plank ceilings and floors moved in from Navasota.with alcoves and 5 separate dining rooms and bar. We could have our own room or meet at the bar. I'll be happy to schmooze the owners into pampering us if there is some good interest.
Do we have a go?
Talkwrite

below

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm! Sounds fascinating. I'm down in the Bay Area though, and not a native, so I don't even know where that spot you mentioned is. But I'd probably be game.

below

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Talkwrite!

I hope some more come about this way! I suppose we could both change our signatures and see if we can lasso some folks...

KPFT, that's an interesting idea. I know they do air occasional "Skip Thruster" plays. Do you know anyone over yonder?

seven41

Registered
Reaction score
I'm game. Cavatorre's or anywhere within the area. I'm presently five miles north of Cavatorre's, but would be willing to go to the east side to accomodate others who are not so close. Let me know when.Seven

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
And the numbers are growing.
There's a few more people I know are from Houston on this site and I'll tap them on the shoulder.
I picked Cav's because if we get it started and grow the owners will support us. And it's free parking easy access. And there's lots of writers already here in the Heights/Oak Forest/ Garden Oaks area.
Below, what do you write? Interesting thread you have on the case in Canada.
I see from your profile you are coming into Fiction, 7, Do you have a WIP ?
Talkwrite

seven41

Registered
Reaction score
Talk,

I actually have three things going at one time. One is a western fiction, one is a spiritual fiction, and the third is a book on dream interpretation.

cooltouch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelmcbroom.com
Hey Talkwrite,

Cavattore's sounds great. Never been there before, but it sure sounds interesting.

So, what days and times are good for y'all? I'm assuming early evenings are probably most agreeable? My schedule is pretty flexible, so I'll just toss this out there: second Tuesday of the month at 7pm.

Best,

Michael

Last edited:

seven41

Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow at 7 sounds fine to me. How do we identify each other?

Seven

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Update- The gathering is a regular eventnow: every second tuesday of the month. You'll find AW'ers and creative types from all the professions listed below. It's relaxedand unstructured. BYOM-Bring your own Muse.
In the 1920’s there was the Algonquin Roundtable*. Houston has
The White Oak Writers
A social gathering of Houston authors, editors, illustrators, storytellers, literary translators, journalists, critics, screenwriters, publishers and our admirers. Held in a relaxed atmosphere with no speakers, no agenda and no mass promotions.
Second Tuesday of each month 7:00 p.m.
Cavatore Italian Restaurant at 2120 Ella Blvd (713) 869-6622 www.cavatore.net

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquin_Round_Table

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
According to my calendar it would be Tuesday Aug 14th.
Hope to see you, we have a lot of interest from journalists and naturally writers. And now 8 writers groups, ( one did a story on it in their newsletter) a nearby independant book store, two university literature professors and one FBI agent. How he got in there I don't know, but we will be able to tell him how the story ends....
Talkwrite

Last edited:

seven41

Registered
Reaction score
It's still going on. In July we had three attendees and in August there were seven. We're still spreading the word and hoping anyone in Houston who might be interested will join us on Sept. 11.

We look forward to seeing you.

Seven

kellytijer

What the hell is going on?!
Registered
Reaction score
i'll be there at 7...where do i find you guys? do i need to bring anything or is it just general discussion? thanks.

seven41

Registered
Reaction score
Go to Cavatorre's Restaurant on Ella at E. T.C. Jester. Ask for the White Oak Writers group. That's it. Bring yourself and a willingness to talk about anything. Attendees include editors, writers, interested parties, reporters, and we have even invited a psychic. Subject matter is wide open, but usually something in the field of writing.

Last edited:

below

Registered
Reaction score
Hi White Oak Writers! I hope you all have fun tomorrow. I don't think I'll be able to make it -- we have an evening vet appointment. (yeah, one of our cats is sick and this was the earliest we could get him scheduled. last month I was sick. I'm feeding my husband lots of vitamin C so he won't be sick in October!!!). Is there anyone else down in the Bay Area?

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
We'll miss you Below- Have you heard of Bay Area Writers League? Tell them I sent you. How far are you from Sugar Land? There is the Fort Bend Writers Guild- which I belong to. Both are multi genre and supportive. FBWG has excellent workshops and contests and a newsletter and a weekly critique group.
But no one, absolutely no one has a social gathering like WOW.
Stay in touch

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
i'm so upset that i couldn't make it, wouldn't you know my daughter's open house was scheduled for the same night. my husband said, "go to your writing thing, i'll get the kids." then i told my daughter i wouldn't be going and she almost cried, i couldn't disappoint her. :e2bummed: guess there's always next month...

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Kelly;
The good thing about WOW is we plan to always be around. We have decided to help the restaurant owner out by writing the description of the special for him. Of course we get to taste it. And if favorite patrons are celebrating an anniversary or special date we will all collaborate on a piece of prose or poetry commemorating the event for them. We are having a unique evening and oh by the way, you may not have made it but your muse was there...

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
oooh, cool. okay, will try again this month. have placed it at the top of my list of things to do.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
Any chances of ever having a get-together on a Friday (evening), Saturday, or Sunday? Weekends are better for me, but I will see if I can get to one of these Tuesday night WOW meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.