Feeling nervousy

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm off to a job interview this morning. Eeps, this stuff makes me nervous. I have my portfolio ready and I've researched the company. Now, most importantly, what should I wear?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
It's always better to be slightly better dressed than slightly worse, according to your perception of the work environment. Smart trousers, a nice shirt, great shoes? From my experience in HR and hiring, don't wear shorts.

Good luck!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm wearing an peachy-orange top, cream skort and brown heels. Earlier I had on a charcoal skort, a purple satin blouse and black sling-backs. Both skorts look like skirts from front and back, btw. Well?

And thanks for the luck!!!

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you! Remember to wear a smile too! :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to you! You'll do fine :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I think you'll wish you'd worn anything from here. You want to make a certain kind of professional impression, right? Hard to make a wrong move when you're dressed for success and confident because of it.

Maryn, giver of appalling advice

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh heavens, this is probably too late with time differences and all, but best of luck to you !

Dress smartly, be confident, shake hands, look them in the eyes, etc etc.

And tell us how it went.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back!! It went well. The senior writer loved me and my experience and wondered why they hadn't snapped me up (who are they? where can I find them?). I'm going back for a test on Friday (for more startled nervousness and clothing conundrum), and then, I hope, a final interview with the big-shots. The only question is salary. They want to pay me as an intermediate writer and I'm a senior writer. Ah well. Maybe there are more important things than money(?).

Thanks for all the luck. It obviously worked. And I did not wear a black vinyl miniskirt and fishnets (thanks anyway, Maryn). I went with the orange top, cream pin-striped pants (trousers for you brits) and brown strappy heels.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Sick!

You should've worn these:

CCH%20Skirt-R%20Legs%20III.jpg

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say go with the outfit you're wearing right now. It's better to err on the side of conservatism than on the side of fashion. Besides, I think pastels are the latest this year, anyway. Good luck, Caroline.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
The only question is salary. They want to pay me as an intermediate writer and I'm a senior writer. Ah well. Maybe there are more important things than money(?).

Something that immediately caught my attention, and a big big caveat to what I'm going to say, namely do run this by some of the people with HR experience on AW, as I'm talking from my own experience in New Zealand where the culture and typical ways contracts are negotiated could be entirely different.

It is simple fact that we end up valued the way that we value ourselves, and although the position is for an intermediate position, is there any possibility of negotiating a guaranteed elevation to senior after a specified time, obviously based on performance?

It's just that after time, once a job is just a job, I've always found that it's nearly impossible not to feel resentful when you know that you're working above your job specifications. And once we've set the bar at a certain level, it seems to become much more difficult to raise it.

Incidentally, most employers I've struck would actually consider that sort of assertiveness a plus.

But again, it's probably one for people with the right backgrounds on here, and closer to your own locale, and who understand the exact position you're talking.

But all the best with your next interview. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Oh, I think you'll wish you'd worn anything from here. You want to make a certain kind of professional impression, right? Hard to make a wrong move when you're dressed for success and confident because of it.

Maryn, giver of appalling advice

Oh. My. Gods. The SHOES! The SHOES!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Something that immediately caught my attention, and a big big caveat to what I'm going to say, namely do run this by some of the people with HR experience on AW, as I'm talking from my own experience in New Zealand where the culture and typical ways contracts are negotiated could be entirely different.

It is simple fact that we end up valued the way that we value ourselves, and although the position is for an intermediate position, is there any possibility of negotiating a guaranteed elevation to senior after a specified time, obviously based on performance?

It's just that after time, once a job is just a job, I've always found that it's nearly impossible not to feel resentful when you know that you're working above your job specifications. And once we've set the bar at a certain level, it seems to become much more difficult to raise it.

Incidentally, most employers I've struck would actually consider that sort of assertiveness a plus.

But again, it's probably one for people with the right backgrounds on here, and closer to your own locale, and who understand the exact position you're talking.

But all the best with your next interview. :)
Thanks akiwiguy! The job is for a 6-month contract that could become f/t permanent if both parties are amenable. In that case the woman assured me I'd be bumped to senior writer and paid accordingly. If they didn't offer me enough at that time, and I didn't love the job, I'd walk away. I also asked her to check with hr about allowing me to work a shorter work-week as compensation for the drop in pay.

We shall see! But thanks for your concern!