PDA

View Full Version : That ever-important platform...

pollykahl
06-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Is there any definitive info on which platform-building components work and which don't? I write one blog on relationships for a newspaper, I am building a web page so people can see my professional services related to my counseling & consultation practice and on which I can promote the memoir I'm writing, I am starting another blog related to my work- and memoir-related interests of forensic psych/victimology, and I plan on opening a MySpace page. Meanwhile last week I had a windfall: A book publisher has requested a proposal on a self-help book I started years ago but hadn't planned on doing anything with right now, so I'm frantically (altho happily!) getting that together. The self-help book, based on a counseling technique I have developed in my practice over many years, could be part of the platform for the memoir. But something's got to give because I'm also a mom of two busy boys and I have a large property to take care of. Furthermore, I haven't worked full time for the past few years due to health concerns but now I'm OK and I told my hubby that I'd get a "real job" by the end of the year if something doesn't look promising with my writing. I'm dancing just as fast as I can! Of all of this stuff that I am doing, which parts are actually going to help me get my memoir accepted by an agent or published? Thanks.

ResearchGuy
06-20-2007, 06:52 AM
. . . which parts are actually going to help me get my memoir accepted by an agent or published? Thanks.
Excellent writing and a clearly defined market that you can articulate to an agent or publisher, plus demonstrated qualifications that make you credible.

IMHO.

--Ken