PDA

View Full Version : Your "Dream" Writing Environment

skelly
06-20-2007, 02:46 AM
This has probably been done before, but I don't care. I'm thinking about my "dream writer's space." It has nothing to do with whether or not I think it would make me more productive, or creative, but where--in a perfect world--I would like do my writing.

I always picture myself outside of a log cabin near a lake at the center of a vast forest. Obviously, since it is a dream, I have a never-ending supply of food, water, interesting books, and beer (not necessarily in that order). Usually it is winter. There is a big, broad, flat-topped promontory that thrusts out into the lake, and from it, in one particular direction, you can see a vast gathering of mountains all blue and purple and hazy in the distance, the white tops of which are reflected in the pond through a gap in the tall trees.

I guess I forgot to mention the infinite supply of legal pads and sharp pencils. Also, I have this tiny little computer--about the size of an Ipod Nano--that has (non-Internet) access to everything ever written since the dawn of writing stuff, for when I need to do research.

That's about it, really. It's almost always winter, and I can always smell wood smoldering in the fireplace back in the cabin as I write.

There is this cute faerie girl who stops by occasionally, but I won't go into that.

I doubt that I'm the only writer who has entertained such wild fancies.

Claudia Gray
06-20-2007, 03:14 AM
All I need is a reasonable temperature, a good chair, a working computer and no loud salsa music from the neighbors. The rest is gravy. :D

skelly
06-20-2007, 03:22 AM
All I need is a reasonable temperature, a good chair, a working computer and no loud salsa music from the neighbors. The rest is gravy. :D
Sure. But when you dream....

Isn't there some REALLY cool imaginary place that you would love to write in, or at? I would love to write a poem while looking through the porthole of a rocket ship on it's way to Mars in some Golden Age SF adventure.

Maybe I'm too far out on the limb. I can definitely hear wood cracking.

:)

Will Lavender
06-20-2007, 03:27 AM
This has probably been done before, but I don't care. I'm thinking about my "dream writer's space." It has nothing to do with whether or not I think it would make me more productive, or creative, but where--in a perfect world--I would like do my writing.

I always picture myself outside of a log cabin near a lake at the center of a vast forest. Obviously, since it is a dream, I have a never-ending supply of food, water, interesting books, and beer (not necessarily in that order). Usually it is winter. There is a big, broad, flat-topped promontory that thrusts out into the lake, and from it, in one particular direction, you can see a vast gathering of mountains all blue and purple and hazy in the distance, the white tops of which are reflected in the pond through a gap in the tall trees.

I guess I forgot to mention the infinite supply of legal pads and sharp pencils. Also, I have this tiny little computer--about the size of an Ipod Nano--that has (non-Internet) access to everything ever written since the dawn of writing stuff, for when I need to do research.

That's about it, really. It's almost always winter, and I can always smell wood smoldering in the fireplace back in the cabin as I write.

There is this cute faerie girl who stops by occasionally, but I won't go into that.

I doubt that I'm the only writer who has entertained such wild fancies.

I actually know of a place like that.

My great aunt owns a home on Lake Cumberland in south central Kentucky. We call it "Turkey Creek," named after the bend in the river below where the house sits.

It's a beautiful A-frame literally in the middle of nowhere. Yet all the amenities are there: three refrigerators, pool table, air conditioning, running water, Star Wars pinball machine.

This place is, as they say, SWEET.

I went there recently to write. Stayed the night by myself. The silence was just...immense. Loved it.

Unfortunately, since my family and I live in Louisville, which is 3 hours away, I only get access to this place once every month or so.

Shadow_Ferret
06-20-2007, 03:33 AM
I really can't think of any place cool I'd want to be to write, because if the place was really cool, I'd never get any writing done, I'd be enjoying the coolness of it all.

So I guess the best place for me to write is some place totally uncool that has absolutely nothing to hold my interest, thus forcing me to write because there wouldn't anything else to do.

skelly
06-20-2007, 04:10 AM
The silence was just...immense.
Sweetness.

ap123
06-20-2007, 04:17 AM
My fantasy writing space would include a room just for writing, with glass doors that opened onto the beach. Somewhere warm, and beautiful, that included someone to clean, cook, shop, and take care of the children. And a great stereo system.

Shady Lane
06-20-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm pretty happy here, honestly, in the basement, laptop on my crossed leg, TV on, preferably a House rerun....

But my dream place is definitely in Oxford, on the steps of this building...I don't even know what it was, but when I was 11 I wrote in my journal in this one spot, and I would love to go back there....get a little flat, live by myself, eat kraft dinner, be poor as dirt and write all day. I could do that for awhile.

PattiTheWicked
06-20-2007, 04:26 AM
My first choice would be a log cabin somewhere in the woods, on a mountain where no one could bother me.

My second choice is a drafty Scottish castle.

Both scenarios include ruggedly handsome dark-haired men to cater to my every whim.

RG570
06-20-2007, 04:32 AM
My dream writing environment is anywhere that's fully paid for. Bonus if the fridge is full.

Ziljon
06-20-2007, 04:47 AM
I'd like to live in the alps with a little writing shack at the edge of my property, like Mahler had.

http://p.vtourist.com/114685-Mahler_House-Europe.jpg

kristie911
06-20-2007, 05:10 AM
My first choice would be a log cabin somewhere in the woods, on a mountain where no one could bother me.

That would be my choice! With a beautiful view and no one around to bug me.

Both scenarios include ruggedly handsome dark-haired men to cater to my every whim.

But then I'd definitely never get any writing done...I'd be WAY too busy! <evil grin>

Danger Jane
06-20-2007, 05:24 AM
My room in the apartment I share with my best friend, or else My Room in my house that's next door to my best friend's house. Location unimportant; people imperative. All I really need is my iPod to write...well and my laptop, or paper, or whatever.

Higgins
06-20-2007, 06:03 AM

As an old man (more or less)...I find that many of my dreams are of the past.

I remember one place I did some very good writing:

An old house a block from the university in a very strange town that I had just returned to....where I had grown up and was now in Graduate School.
I rented the back half of the house and the garage and the backyard was apparently all mine.

The air was clear and clean (it was a long time ago)...life was cheap. I made a documentary movie about a co-op. I bought all my clothes and books and records used. I even bought the most beautiful all vacuum tube amplifier the world has ever seen.

For the two years I was there...all the thunderstorms were perfect. It was before global warming. Sound travelled farther and the air was unbelievably clear. The breezes were always cool and refreshing. Visitors would come to town and we would go to the mountains.

In those days I was a poet and every good poem resulted in one more totally unexpected seduction of a series of progressively taller girls. One wondered how that particularly surreal sequence could go on or reach some point of relative absurdity. I had to stop writing and leave town obviously before my perceptions were distorted or something.

It was before starbucks (which I worship)...but there was a sort of protostarbucks a few blocks away.

Anyway...wrote a lot of poems. Some were good. After that one run of poems, I never wrote poems again.

AS for a writing environment: I had a desk and a portable typewriter and nothing to do but go to graduate school. I had a job in the library finding materials for visiting scholars.

Claudia Gray
06-20-2007, 06:55 AM
If I were dreaming big -- well, I took a short vacation in Paris this year and stayed in the most beautiful little apartment, just one block from the Eiffel Tower. If I could afford it, I would go there and write -- quiet, comfortable, in beautiful surroundings and with a bistro just down the street for good wine and beef after the day's labors were done. :D

Ziljon
06-20-2007, 07:03 AM

An old house a block from the university in a very strange town that I had just returned to....where I had grown up and was now in Graduate School.
I rented the back half of the house and the garage and the backyard was apparently all mine.

The air was clear and clean (it was a long time ago)...life was cheap. I made a documentary movie about a co-op. I bought all my clothes and books and records used. I even bought the most beautiful all vacuum tube amplifier the world has ever seen.

For the two years I was there...all the thunderstorms were perfect. It was before global warming. Sound travelled farther and the air was unbelievably clear. The breezes were always cool and refreshing. Visitors would come to town and we would go to the mountains.

In those days I was a poet and every good poem resulted in one more totally unexpected seduction of a series of progressively taller girls. One wondered how that particularly surreal sequence could go on or reach some point of relative absurdity. I had to stop writing and leave town obviously before my perceptions were distorted or something.

It was before starbucks (which I worship)...but there was a sort of protostarbucks a few blocks away.

Anyway...wrote a lot of poems. Some were good. After that one run of poems, I never wrote poems again.

AS for a writing environment: I had a desk and a portable typewriter and nothing to do but go to graduate school. I had a job in the library finding materials for visiting scholars.

Damn, that was fine, Sokal. Wish I could read more!

bunnygirl
06-20-2007, 09:02 AM
My dream environment is an attic room in a beach house on Cape Cod. It would be a Mid-Cape town, like Dennis or Brewster (ideally with the lower population of my childhood), and the house would be on the bay side so I could look out my window in the evening and see the lighthouse lights all up and down the coastline. I would know each light by its color and timing, and they would be like old friends.

I wouldn't get much writing done, since I would spend all my time gazing out the window and daydreaming, but hey-- it sounds nice, doesn't it?

Sean D. Schaffer
06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
My dream writing environment would be an oversized closet with an outlet and loads of privacy. I would, of course, have wooden slats on the walls and the outlet would be brown in color. I would have either my typewriter or my laptop hooked up in there, and in the case of the computer I would likely be using a program such as DarkRoom as my word processor -- I love the old monochrome look of the word processor that reminds me so much of the computers I used in High School.

I would have plenty of insulation in the room, so as to keep outside noises out and inside noises in. And when I use a typewriter, it would be an Underwood No. 6 upright manual.

Everything would smack of antique, with the exception of the computer. My desk would be an ancient oak one, with the typewriter neatly tucked away in a drawer or a fancy cubbyhole in the desktop.

I would be sitting in an old wooden office chair, and wearing my pajamas and slippers for comfort. The chair, of course, would have arms, and a cushion on the seat so my rear end would not hurt after a while.

I might have a single light fixture hanging overhead, like those in my Grandma's old house, from a wire and boasting a single incandescent bulb. I would, of course, also have a desk lamp.

The floor would be bare wood, and I would have a cork board for assignments on the wall above my desk.

All in all, a pretty spartan situation, but boy would the privacy be good for my soul!

skelly
06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Sokal, that was a great read! Sean...you know what, I actually wrote in a closet for awhile, many years and one wife ago. We lived in a little one-bedroom apartment and I emptied out the bedroom closet. It was a largish closet, but not a walk-in. It was nice and quiet, but rather stuffy. I only lasted a few days, then it was back to the kitchen table. Make sure your dream closet has some good air circulation :)

Stijn Hommes
06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I would like to write in a library with all the reference books (and fiction) I could wish for built in some rural place with a stunning view in case I want to go out. For the writing itself. A state of the art computer, a good chair and an endless supply of food and drinks.

Saanen
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd like a little office in a sleepy rural town, preferably someplace above street level so I wouldn't be too distracted when looking out the window. No internet access, but I'd have a good laptop and a desk under the window. I'd go there every morning early to do the day's writing, leaving my afternoon and evening free--because of course I'd be successful enough in my writing that I'd have quit my day job!

The scary thing is that I believe I'm describing an office over the post office in the small town where I grew up. Not that I'd mind moving back there, as long as the office was still available. :)

Higgins
06-20-2007, 03:19 PM

Sokal, that was a great read! Sean...you know what, I actually wrote in a closet for awhile, many years and one wife ago. We lived in a little one-bedroom apartment and I emptied out the bedroom closet. It was a largish closet, but not a walk-in. It was nice and quiet, but rather stuffy. I only lasted a few days, then it was back to the kitchen table. Make sure your dream closet has some good air circulation :)

Thanks!

Interesting topic. There's a lot of Oxford associations (not for me, but for the thread)....Shady Lane's mysterious building, the Alice Avatar and the Lewis Carol dreams of such things as good places to write.

Other things peope seem to include: mountains and libraries. I would add: a lot of natural light and coffee shops and used clothing stores.

Plot Device
06-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Saanen, you just described my second or third-choice fanatasy. I've always loved the idea of a sleepy little town and a second-story studio in a mom&pop storefront merchant district.

As for my first choice, it also involves a second-story perch.

About five years back I used to frequent a small collection of country village shops all built into what used to be a barn along the side of a major road (one of those major roads that is now a single-lane state highway).

There was a yoga studio, a deli, a pottery shop, and a bakery. The barn still looked pretty much like a barn. The deli was located in the taller section of the barn (the other shops were all crouching in a one-story attachment building that was once a cow shed I believe). So when you walked into the deli, there was a hay loft way up above to one side. All the walls were the original wood from the barn. The floor was the original wood from the barn. Little cafe tables everywhere. Lots of windows. As for that hay loft, I used to sit at a cafe table by the deli counter, eating my sandwich, writing my manuscript, and I would sometimes look up at the loft. There was a window up there. And a nice rustic ladder leading up to it. The ladder had a little sign reading "No Adimittance." I wanted to so much to climb up that ladder, set up a table beside the window, and do my writing from up there.

I became a frequent enough customer that they all knew me. And I almost braved asking if I could go up there. But I knew better. Insurance regulations. Injuries. Law suits. I didn't even bother. But I wished so hard.

I eventually began to fantasize about buying the entire business and becoming a silent partner with the current owner.......... with this one stipulation: "You handle the business, I just sit here and write. And I can go up into that loft anytime I feel like because I own the joint."

Since then I have relocated further north, and a local Starbucks is now my regular writing haunt. And they have a huge two-story foyer. To try and describe it--this Starbucks is located in a strip shopping center, and the store is situated on the end/corner of the building. So the corner of the building itself has a castle-like turret built into it. The turret is the entry for the Starbucks, and that turret is two stories high. There is no actual second floor, but if they wanted to, they COULD build a balcony or a loft of some kind up there. (And I have been to some Starbucks that have such lofts). So my loft fantasy has transferred itself to the Starbucks now. My latest aspiration is to become independently wealthy, buy a Starbucks franchise, and custom design the Starbucks so that it has just such a loft in it. And a fireplace (gotta have a fireplace in a Starbucks). And that second-story loft would be MINE exclusively. No customers allowed up there, just me.

Don't know what it is about a second floor, but I find it a very attractive situation for writing.

Some of you might say I should just go to the second story of my own house. And, truth be told, I already do write in the second story of my house. BUT ..... there's something about being in a PUIBLIC place, or at least looking down at the public from a second floor window (be it a mom&pop second floor apartemnt, or a Starbucks loft), there's something MORE there that I can't quite describe. I'd be in the midst of the public, and yet in my own exclusive spot of privacy that the public can't get to where I can see and hear them and just watch life in general. So many here are describing solitude in the woods. I like solitde also, but my fantasy is a sort of an "ammended solitude" where I am still with people, but they cannot reach me.

I would have a little office up there, with scriptwriting books and several flatpanel computers, and my headphones, and my window looking outside would be MASSIVE. I'd have my own restroom up there too. Maybe even a fridge. Oh and coffee. LOTS of coffee and croisants. And I don't have to do any dishes because my Starbucks employees would be doig it all for me. And when Stephen Spielberg comes to visit, I would usher him upstairs where we could chat in private over capuccinos.

::EDIT::

Here is what the shopping center with the Starbucks kinda looks like. Notice the SUBWAY shop on the end and the turret up above. THAT is what the design of my local Starbucks looks like (except there are actual windows up above in my Starbucks--windows located at the correct height for a second story, even though there is no actual second story, just a VERY tall foyer that soars upward with open space when you first walk in).

http://www.cityofthornton.net/business/IMAGES/136_colo/htv_shops_0604_700.jpg

heyjude
06-20-2007, 06:24 PM
My dream involves no children screaming in the background.

I don't need much :).

ccarver30
06-20-2007, 06:36 PM
All I need is a Starbuck's (the shop, not just a coffee), a laptop and my memory stick. :)

Saundra Mitchell
06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
My inner me has a two-room cabin on a cliff, overlooking the Atlantic from a little island called Daggett's Walk. There are other islands in the chain, this is just the only one big enough for a town. Nobody bothers the writer who lives "up on the rock", but they're generally friendly, if a little distant, when I go down into town to restock on groceries. I can chop wood when I'm blocked, and warm myself by the fire when I'm on a streak, and when the nor'easters blow through, I can drink up the terror and pleasure of being lesser than the elements.

Being realistic, though- these days, I'd just kill for a quiet room with the kids out of the house. What a fantasy!

janetbellinger
06-20-2007, 07:26 PM
To be published by a reputable publisher and gain a good literary reputation, also for marital happiness until the end of my life and happiness and good fortune for both my children.

Plot Device
06-20-2007, 07:46 PM
To kpmcneil22,

You struck four chords with me:

1) I also favor having a rocking chair of some kind, or a lounge chair. A "reading chair" that's not a straight-backed desk chair. I currently have TWO desks in my office (one for the computer and office type work, and one for old fahsioned letter writing) and one lounge chair. I typically use the lounge chair for my laptop so that I can literally have the laptop on my lap.

2) Having a pub within walking distance. I am very adamant about the need for sidewalks in the USA, and the LACK of sidewalks here is disturbing (down with suburbia!). And when I write I prefer to be disconnected from my car. It's more organic to leave the house on foot and stroll to the corner store while I have a story on the brain. Driving can sometimes disrupt that flow of thought, so abstaining from the car while in a writing mode is a tremendous aid. If only more neighborhoods of today truly were neighborhoods and not just mushroom communities.

3) I also have dreamed of being on the top floor of a big city highrise. And in keeping with what I said in my previous paragraph about walking, when you live in a large city like that, you have no need of a car. So it's easy to live the solitary life of a writer while in a big city and to keep "the groove" happening by never having to resort to a car.

4) The freight ship. I have heard about this and have been passingly interested, but never actually looked into it. If you find out anything, can you let me know? BTW--I am a female, and if that poses a danger to me, then I'll pass. But I'm curious about the price and any legalities that might go along with it. And I carelessly allowed my passport to expire, so I'd need to know if that's a consideration also.

Plot Device
06-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Here's a link to a company that books these, with prices, etc.

http://www.freighterworld.com/#destination%20map

Awesome! Thanks! :cool:

Southern_girl29
06-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't really want much. I love the fact that I live in a rural area in a very quiet neighborhood. I wouldn't want to live or be anywhere else. However, I want an office. Right now, my desk and the computer are in the living room. I tend to write only when everyone is gone or asleep. I'd like to have an office where I could close the door and be by myself. Floor to ceiling book shelves would line the walls and be filled with all of my favorite books, both the ones I loved as a child and the ones I love as an adult.

One wall would have a cut-out for my desk. It would be the type with lots of cabinets and drawers, where I could store stuff. I like my chair I have now, leather and lots of padding. It rolls very easily, too. I would need a window to let in light and let me see the rural view outside. A recliner is necessary so that I could relax while I'm reading and editing. I would also need a television for background noise. I can't write while it's completely quiet. The floor would be hardwood and the walls a nice deep blue. I will have this office one of these days.

skelly
06-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Absolutely fascinating. Thanks for sharing, you guys. I hope some more folks pop in. Southern Girl...I've had one room set aside for my "office" for about the last ten years or so. Sometimes it is neat and organized, sometimes it is an utter wreck. ALWAYS it is a wonderful space where I can be the real me, a writer. I hope you realize your dream soon.

Sokal...you are, I think, the only person who recognized Alice Liddel as the little girl in my avatar...AND that she was the basis for Mr. Carroll's Alice In Wonderland. I'mma go back and rep you for that :)

Death Wizard
06-21-2007, 02:35 AM
My dream writing environment has to include at least a laptop, because I can't hand-write more than a sentence or two without my hand getting worn out. There's no way I could write an entire book by hand. I'd be insane by page 20.

Otherwise, sitting on a high balcony overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, with no responsibilities other than taking care of myself, would be pretty damn cool. The crashing of the waves would make excellent background music.

Siddow
06-21-2007, 02:55 AM
http://www.luxuryrealestate.com/sharedImages/props/446/lre_stnd_559446_9.jpg

Little Red Barn
06-21-2007, 03:04 AM
My inner me has a two-room cabin on a cliff, overlooking the Atlantic from a little island called Daggett's Walk. There are other islands in the chain, this is just the only one big enough for a town. Nobody bothers the writer who lives "up on the rock", but they're generally friendly, if a little distant, when I go down into town to restock on groceries. I can chop wood when I'm blocked, and warm myself by the fire when I'm on a streak, and when the nor'easters blow through, I can drink up the terror and pleasure of being lesser than the elements.

Being realistic, though- these days, I'd just kill for a quiet room with the kids out of the house. What a fantasy!
anyplace by the water sounds real good--this especially :)

Sean D. Schaffer
06-21-2007, 05:51 AM
http://www.luxuryrealestate.com/sharedImages/props/446/lre_stnd_559446_9.jpg

Ooooh! My mouth is now watering...

The only problem I would have with a desk like that would be fear of marring its surface with the feet on my typewriter. That would not be all that good.

However, I can just sense the quiet of that room. Very, very conducive to a proper writing atmosphere.

Don Allen
06-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Wherever I'am, I must have a picture of John, Paul, George, and Ringo to look at to remind me of their collective genius and the immense joy their music has given me. Aside from that, Man, can I write in a thunderstorm.
Sokal-- Unreal... I re-read your post 3 times finding something new each time...

DamaNegra
06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
On the bell towers of this cathedral:

http://hollandimac.chem.rochester.edu/jv/zocalo.jpg

And after a day of writing, hopping off into the subway and going to eat some tacos or play pool with my friends beside a couple of cold beers. That always boosts me up for writing. Staying at home is such a turn-off....

jhtatroe
06-21-2007, 08:15 AM
i would like a studio over the garage, not easily accessible from the rest of the house, but close enough that I could take a break and wander over for lunch or a break with the family. It would have lots of light, a fireplace for the winter and AC for the summer. A minifridge and coffee maker. Some open space with mirrors for dancing.

Ziljon
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Earlier, on page one of this thread I posted Mahler's house in the alps:
http://p.vtourist.com/114685-Mahler_House-Europe.jpg
here's a link to get those little houses for your own property: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Saundra Mitchell
06-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Ziljon, I want one of those so much, I ache. Ohhhhhhh, tinyhouse!

Higgins
06-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Wherever I'am, I must have a picture of John, Paul, George, and Ringo to look at to remind me of their collective genius and the immense joy their music has given me. Aside from that, Man, can I write in a thunderstorm.
Sokal-- Unreal... I re-read your post 3 times finding something new each time...

Yeah...that was a lucky time for me. I suppose I'm just as lucky that I was moved to go do something else.

On the topic of music, though...in those days I always had a lot of Brahms and Beethoven on the stereo, especially piano stuff. These days on the computer: no Beethoven at all, and only sextets and Quintets from Brahms. An accident? Or does solo piano have too many associations? Or does it sound bad off of MP3s and into headphones? And for that matter, most of what I listen to while writing Sci Fi novels is minimalist and/or electronic.

Legionsynch
06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
My dream location would probably be somewhere remote, on a lake somewhere. A log house with big bay windows everywhere. There'd be enough room in the place for my roommate and I to enjoy comfortable seperation.

There'd be several desktop computers around the house, a memory stick for easy transport of manuscript, and one of those really fancy coffee/expresso makers. My writing room would be fairly simple, with a lot of blank walls for me to post pictures of the novel or the characters. Or maybe one of those dry erase boards covering the entire wall so I could write down whatever I needed to.

It must also be silent, so I can open the doors outside or the windows (I'm not picky!) and listen to the sounds of the lake, or the animals in the nearby woods. When I'm blocked, or struggling for a scene, I can take long walks along the beach, or through the woods to clear my head.

Needless to say, if I ever get rich and famous, I'll be looking into this. ;)

davids
06-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Pinky's whore house-you think I am kidding don't cha?!?!?!?!

L Anne
06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I want to write...while riding in a subway train with no one else in it. Oooh, and it'd be so wonderful if they replaced the dirty sets and stuff with a nice, wall-to-wall mattress. And a sound system that alternately plays Queen and Prince.

chartreuse
06-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Well, I used to dream about having an oceanfront home in Cannon Beach, OR, with an office with a gigantic picture window and a huge river rock fireplace. However, now when I picture that all I can see is a giant tsunami swamping the house thanks to a Cascadia Subduction Zone quake.

These days my fantasy runs more towards a house on a lake (a very cold lake with clear water and lots of rocks on the bottom), very quiet with only a few other houses in sight. And I'd have no day job to go to, so I could just spend my days communing with nature and being creative.

AndreaGS
06-22-2007, 02:56 AM
I guess I'm pretty easy to please. For me it's just a cafe with plenty of trees outside, not too loud music, decent coffee, and my bf there writing with me. He's got such an amazing work ethic that I'm inspired to keep up with him. And if I run into trouble, I can bounce ideas off of him. I love the idea of being in a mountain cabin by myself just to write, but I know I'd get lonely, and I'd freak out fairly easily.

I'd write at home, but I have one cat that likes to crawl over my keyboard, and another VERY vocal, noisy cat. Love 'em, but NO CATS!

Higgins
08-05-2007, 05:27 PM

More...well...I was obviously mocking my compulsively depressive self (or so I think now)...so, my new ideal spot for writing is relatively recent and relatively dull:

View of the Ocean, after a swim, after a few drinks, half an hour typing on the laptop...

The writing is not as good (I suspect)...but at least it is not poetry, and I am happier....or at least less depressed.

reigningcatsndogs
08-05-2007, 06:53 PM
We have an acreage 10 minutes from our small town, with a long lane and lots of trees for added privacy. Next year, we have plans to build a 14' gazebo in the far corner of the property, under the willowtree, beside the creek, with a view of the pond and the flower gardens, and totally surrounded by fruit trees. I can hardly wait!! That will be my haven for nine months of the year.
I also just finished the plans for a sunroom on the front of the house, separated from the rest of the house with large french doors, filled with plants, with a view of the pond. As far as places to write, I should be covered for the next many years!!!! I can hardly wait. It's so hard to just look at it all on paper, but we will start prep for it this fall when we re-roof the house.
For now, though, I'm perfectly content with the swinging chair on the veranda or the desk at the bay window for my work. I guess I have it pretty lucky, and very quiet (considering the number of kids, dogs and cats running around the place!!)

Croque Madame
08-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Ooo, tiny house! I want one!

My ideal space would have some rolling white-boards and cork-boards mounted to one wall, the way they do in some classrooms, so I could scrawl notes and pin up time lines and move things back -n- forth. I'm a very visual person, and I suspect this would be easier than taping a zillion things on the wall, which is what I do now.

Lots of bookshelves, an enormous desk with an obscenely comfortable chair, skylights to let in natural light.

Good quality speakers/docking station for my iPod.

There would also be a wet bar with an electric tea kettle and espresso machine. :)

And . . . this might sound off, but a large bathtub with a nice selection of bath oil, bubble bath, etc. For some reason, a nice hot bath with expensive bath goodies often cures my writers' block! Can't tell you how many times I've jumped out of the tub and pulled on my bathrobe, only 5 minutes or so after pouring $10 worth of bath oil in!

Higgins
03-05-2008, 01:56 AM

Not entirely true since I have now returned to writing the occasional poem or two.

Appalachian Writer
03-05-2008, 03:35 AM
My dream writing environment, like skelly, would be a log cabin (with electricity and indoor plumbing, of course) in the middle of the woods (with access to a town, say 30 or 40 miles away) and NO telephone! I'd have my computer, my bassett hound, and a years supply of chocolate. It wouldn't matter if it were winter, fall, or spring...but not summer. I'd be writing in front of a big picture window and occasionally glancing at the deer feeding on the front lawn.

Gray Rose
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
My ideal writing space is so tiny it is claustrophobic. I had this setup twice, once an impromptu office in a tiny breakfast nook, another time a nook even tinier, so tiny it could only fit a table and a chair, and a narrow tall bookcase.
There is no door on one side, so you're not completely walled in, you are looking out on a larger space, a living room perhaps.

Another variant of the same is a sofa in a small room which also has a table. A sofa by a fireplace perhaps.

It must be relatively dark, and quiet, with a single light - from a lamp, or, since we're dreaming, from a fireplace.

It does not really matter though. Writing takes me to where I want to be. When I work, I tend not to notice anything.

lucky8
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
My ideal writing environment would be an office with a big old desk, facing a window that overlooks mile upon mile of snow covered rolling hills. A big comfortable chair and a log fire. As now I would do the majority of my writing on my 12-inch PowerBook but, for when the desire to write long-hand strikes me, I would have sheets of luxuary writing paper and a quality fountain pen. On the walls I would have large prints of my previously published book covers.

My most productive environment, however, would probably be a small, cell-like, room without any windows and certainly no access to the internet and for furniture just a chair. And maybe a timed lock on the door.

sheadakota
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Since right now all I have is my couch and my laptop- this will be fun-

obtainable dream- my very own office- ALL MINE- with a big beautiful hard-wood desk with lots of drawers and hidey holes I don't need. A real chair- leather- a computer that never breaks down, freezes or loses files- a LASER printer and a cool place to put it. It would have hardwood floors, wrap around windows that open up to a deck with a hot tub- you know to loosen up those cramped neck mucles from feverishly bending over the keyboard.

The room would also be big enough to hold my exercise equipment- I think best on the treadmill. It would be soundproofed and someone else would attend to the all the 'emergencies' that happen every two seconds.

OH_ and a built in Bose sound sytstem-

Unabtainable- An airy hut somewhere in the tropics where it is never cold complete with a cabanna boy that supplies me with what I need to survive. Lots of yellow legal pads and pencils and since this is a dream-my laptop and electrcity and an unending supply of coffee.

Mr Flibble
03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
A nice old brick building ( converted outbuilding / stable what have you) at the end of a nice big garden.

It will be mine ALL MINE. Weenie ones and their eternal questions will not be allowed. I'll have all my books in there, and a great big stereo, a beer fridge and a teamaker, and a big picture window to stare at the garden. Out the back there will be a hammock, for those moments when you have to daydream and can call it 'I'm working.' I will have a cowboy hat to put over my eyes, so no one will realise I'm actually sleeping.

Sonneillon
03-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I have yearned, and will probably always yearn, to return to Kenya. I want to go back to the conference center where my Missions troupe stayed and sit on the porch behind the dining room, next to the breaker wall. I want to work my toes into the sand and drink passionfruit Fanta while I work on my laptop. I want to smell the salt blown in off the Indian ocean and smirk at the tourists who think they're doing a successful job of bartering with the Maasai. I want to wear nothing but sarongs, sandals, and peasant blouses and wake up in the morning to the call to prayer from the mosque further inland.

TrishD
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure if it's a dream writing location, but I've always wanted to take a writing vacation to San Francisco. It's my favorite city, so I envision renting a studio apartment for a couple week (or a month) and just writing. When I'm hungry, I'd go out to eat. When I need a break, I'd explore. At night, I'd go in search of good live music.

And I'd leave the family at home! :D

ascribe
03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd settle for anywhere hot, overlooking the sea with not too many people around to distract me. The only things it must have are a decent bar and a post office within walking distance.
I've got the last two, but I'm still working on the others.

mmurphy
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
A two room cabin...somewhere. One main room with a kitchenette and writing space, other a bedroom. Lots of shelves to pile my junk on.

A broadband internet connection so I keep keep tab s on AW ;)

inkkognito
03-06-2008, 01:30 AM
I sorta-kinda could go to my dream spot (I love being near water, and our town's downtown has rocking chairs over by a lovely lake), but when I tried it, it was way too freakin' hot and the sunlight's glare preventing me from seeing my laptop screen. So much for a dream becoming reality!

Barring that, I like my space in my house to have life around and to have decorations that remind me of why I enjoy life so much. Right now our family room is almost ideal; I have three cats and a quaker parrot to keep things lively plus lots of Disney Cruise Line momentos hanging and on the shelves (cruising is a borderline obsession for me). The only thing missing is my comedy and tragedy collection, which is still at our old house in another state. I have over 100 different sets of comedy and tragedy masks, and for some reason I love having them around and they are very inspiring to me. Hopefully I'll get them down here some time this year. I plan to hang them in the area going up the stairwell, so some will be visible while I am working.

DWSTXS
03-06-2008, 01:40 AM
I have a Dunn Brothers coffeeshop, which is far far superior to any Starbucks. They serve sandwiches, bagel and a schmeer, beer and wine, and coffee. THere are 6 restaurants within walking distance. There are lots of beautiful young things to ogle at as I write.
I open my laptop, plug my headphones in (20 GB of music on the HDD) and from the minute I start writing to the minute I leave, it's fantasy-land and I am God.

Everything outside of that is TV

JacobWorld
03-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I would be in Laos . I have seen some photos of it and I love it
And they dont speak English so no one will disturb me.