PDA

View Full Version : Can we just say, best title ever?!

Toothpaste
06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes I know, you start a thread with that and it had better darn well contain the best title ever.

Well fear not my friends. My German publisher has come through for us all. I swear to you you will not be disappointed.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I present to you:

Die halsüberkopfundkragendramatischabenteuerliche Katastrophenexpedition der Alex Morningside

Folks this is not a drill. This is the actual title of my book in Germany. Truly. Isn't it just wild!!?? The cover is also totally cool, check it out: www.ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com

RG570
06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I admit I was sceptical at first.

But that is the awesomest title ever.

aruna
06-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Shall I translate?

"The head-over-heels-and-collar dramatically adventurous catastrophic expedition of Alex Morgenside"

Yep, fantastic title! Good luck with it... that should run fast over here!

RLB
06-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow.
Just the sheer amount of letters in a row screams greatness.
Would you mind if I used that title too?

WordGypsy
06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm floored by the sheer awesomeness of that title. I have never seen it's equal.

aadams73
06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Wowza! That's quite a mouthful. :D

Also that's a really fantastic cover.

Calla Lily
06-19-2007, 03:39 PM
I was not disappointed. Great!

janetbellinger
06-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Very, very cool

aruna
06-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I think German kids are just going to love rolling this over their tongues.

scarletpeaches
06-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Well spank my ass and call me Charlie if that's not the mutt's nuts. :D

Saundra Julian
06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Great cover, toothpaste! The title? Well, let's just say I'm glad I speak English because I would never ever get all that out!

A big congratulations, how proud you must be...

CaroGirl
06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
That is truly the BEST title EVER! Well done. The cover art is amazing and I'm sure those German kids are gonna buy your book by the thousands. Whoo-hoo!!

Congratulations, Toothpaste; Canada goes international once again!!

maddythemad
06-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Oh, wow. That is just... too cool for words, actually.

And I love the cover!

Ziljon
06-19-2007, 04:59 PM
What a coincidence. That's the exact same title as my novel!

Chumplet
06-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh. My. That is really something. Awesome! My tongue hurts.

Calla Lily
06-19-2007, 06:03 PM
forgot to say:

AWESOME! CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ROCK!

Toothpaste
06-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Isn't it insane?! I just love it, and I love the cover too! Now I must learn how to actually pronounce it!!

CaroGirl
06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Isn't it insane?! I just love it, and I love the cover too! Now I must learn how to actually pronounce it!!
Must you? Oh dear. My neighbour, Dieter, could probably help you with that. He's 6'7" of solid German.

MidnightMuse
06-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Can I buy a vowel?

Pretty awesome, I must say. Luckily, one of my coworkers IS German, so I'll find out what this really sounds like this morning :)

Pisarz
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Now I have two goals: to get published in the U.S. and to have the rights sold to Germany so that my someday-novel might end up with a title half as cool (or shall I say "kuhl"--where's that umlaut?) as yours.

III
06-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Well spank my ass and call me Charlie if that's not the mutt's nuts. :D

Is that your comment on Toothpaste's title or is that your entry for best title ever?

AWESOME TOOTHPASTE!

WriterInChains
06-19-2007, 07:31 PM
That is absolutely the coolest! Love the title & the cover! Congratulations! :)

scarletpeaches
06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Is that your comment on Toothpaste's title or is that your entry for best title ever?

AWESOME TOOTHPASTE!

My first novel is out soon. Look out for the sequel, "Well shove my face in a blender if that's not the dog's bollocks." :D

BenPanced
06-19-2007, 08:18 PM
My first novel is out soon. Look out for the sequel, "Well shove my face in a blender if that's not the dog's bollocks." :D
And after that Well Shave Mah Legs and Call Me Puppy!

Okay, that cover is fekkin' brilliant. (And I thought that kid's book called The Amazing Thumbtack, Railroad, Dollhouse, and All-Around Surprise Book was a mouthful...)

aruna
06-19-2007, 08:18 PM
OK, here we.go, German is pretty phonetic so it;s not as difficult as it looks. All you do is break it up into its separate words.

Die hals-über-kopf-und-kragen-dramatisch-abenteuerliche (this is the adjective) Katastrophenexpedition (this is the noun) der Alex Morningside

Die = dee ..... the
hals = hals ... neck
über - over (the umlaut changes the sound of the you; you have to purse your lips to say it)
kopf - head
und - and
kragen - collar
dramatisch - dramatic (the dr- sound is more precise than in english. You have to separate the d and r)
abenteurliche - adventurous (the -teur- ro ryhme with "lawyer"). "Ch" in "abenteurliche" is almost a hiss. You have to practice this!
Katastrophen - catastophic (the o as in no)
expedition - expedition. the last syllables are pronounced "-tzion"

PattiTheWicked
06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
That's just fun to say. You could get it printed up on pencils and stuff.

Awesome title, awesome cover, and awesome blurb from Artemis Fowl's dad!!

III
06-20-2007, 12:52 AM
OK, here we.go, German is pretty phonetic so it;s not as difficult as it looks. All you do is break it up into its separate words.

Die hals-über-kopf-und-kragen-dramatisch-abenteuerliche (this is the adjective) Katastrophenexpedition (this is the noun) der Alex Morningside

Die = dee ..... the
hals = hals ... neck
über - over (the umlaut changes the sound of the you; you have to purse your lips to say it)
kopf - head
und - and
kragen - collar
dramatisch - dramatic (the dr- sound is more precise than in english. You have to separate the d and r)
abenteurliche - adventurous (the -teur- ro ryhme with "lawyer"). "Ch" in "abenteurliche" is almost a hiss. You have to practice this!
Katastrophen - catastophic (the o as in no)
expedition - expedition. the last syllables are pronounced "-tzion"

Ohhh, can you translate ScarletPeaches' title into German? I could definitely see that phrase coming in handy while traveling abroad - particularly if I have a good meal in Germany and wish to compliment the chef.

ChunkyC
06-20-2007, 01:29 AM
Wow, Adrienne! Are you going to be giving readings over there? ;)

Del
06-20-2007, 01:53 AM
It looks like the title says it all. Is there anything between the covers?

oarsman
06-20-2007, 02:33 AM
halsüberkopfundkragendramatischabenteuerliche

That's a super adjective! I don't think I've ever seen a word that long on a book. It looks like another great book cover!! :)

RitrChick
06-20-2007, 05:01 AM
At first glance, I thought that was one of my husband's Polish ancestor's names...but then I noticed there were far too many vowels--oh, and an umlaut. ;)

So, instead I think you're about neck and neck with Supercalifragilistic...

A HUGE congrats to you, Adrienne. Lots of great stuff going on for you! Yay! :hooray:

Soccer Mom
06-20-2007, 06:45 AM
That's a great title!

And I want the German cover! Mine is gonna have the U.S. cover. (which is pretty sweet but I don't remember an octopus on it.)

kristie911
06-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Wow...now I know why I never learned German! That's quite the intimidating word.

Btw...great cover! Congrats. :D