Need to synchronise watches before we go over the top

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
OK, the shortest thread in history, cause I just need to know one thing please.

Just in case I decide on doing that flash fiction thingey sometime, I'm checking what time I need to be on here, and I think at this time of the year EST is 19 hours behind us, but not sure. Some of the web sites giving this info seem inconsistent. Can some kind soul tell me here just their current EST at time of post so I can compare with the time of post I'm seeing. Pretty please.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Mountain time. It's 3:15 on Sunday afternoon here. Eastern Standard Time would be 5:15 Sunday afternoon (we're two hours behind them.)

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks Bard. Yes, it's California that's 19 hours, daylight savings makes it all confusing. Looks as though EST is 16 hours behind NZ.

Many thanks.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Can someon explain this flash fiction to me?

And remember: Whatever happens, they have got, the Maxim gun, and we have not.

Last edited:

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Can someon explain this flash fiction to me?

Well I've never done it, but the jist seems to be that at 9:00pm EST Sundays a topic is posted and you have 90 minutes to write a story. It's a forum under "Writing Exercises Prompts and Games" or whatever it's called. Looks kinda fun.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I see.

Thank you.

Eastern Standard Time. I wonder what that is in real money.

Is that American EST or Australian EST?

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
OK, the shortest thread in history, cause I just need to know one thing please.

Just in case I decide on doing that flash fiction thingey sometime, I'm checking what time I need to be on here, and I think at this time of the year EST is 19 hours behind us, but not sure. Some of the web sites giving this info seem inconsistent. Can some kind soul tell me here just their current EST at time of post so I can compare with the time of post I'm seeing. Pretty please.
I'm in EST, your first post in the thread shows 4:48PM, so to get to 9PM it starts four hours and 12 minutes after the first post in this thread. Does that clear it up? My EST is 6:15, so I have 2 hours and 45 minutes until the start.

Well I've never done it, but the jist seems to be that at 9:00pm EST Sundays a topic is posted and you have 90 minutes to write a story. It's a forum under "Writing Exercises Prompts and Games" or whatever it's called. Looks kinda fun.
I've done it (and ended up posting stories) perhaps half the Sundays in the past several months since it started. It's been lots of fun to me, and the most amazing thing is some people actually like some of my stories!

But it's even less restrictive than you give. You have 24 hours from the start time to do it. Just don't read the prompt (that also means don't read "New Posts" or posts in the FF challenge forum during this time, as the story threads show up with the prompt in the thread titles), and when you're ready, read the prompt and then you have 90 minutes from the moment you read the prompt to write and post your story. But most of us do it when the prompt first becomes available, because I suppose it's just more fun that way, doing it all together. Also, many of us "hang out" in the chatroom before, during and after the event.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Nope, just a time limit. 90 minutes to write, edit, and post from the time it starts (or, if you start later from whenever you read the prompt.) If you're in the AW chat room, there's always a reminder post by one of the OP's to let you know the prompt is up, etc.

I've participated a few times and had fun. Join us! (in a little over 1 1/2 hours from the time of this post.)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
33 minutes for anyone still figuring out when to start.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
:rant: Nope, I'll have to do it later. Urgent calls for work just when you don't need them!

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Well that was a cock up. Started it, got halfway through it and the phone went again. Think I'll have to wait till our evenings to do it in future. Sheeesh.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
For next time, akiwiguy: world time server. You can check just about anywhere in the world. :)

Yes thanks, I went on, I think that one and some other, and the times weren't the same. That one did look the more official site, but I thought I'd better check. One looked as though daylight saving was wrong or something.

Is it right though that you can do it (not looking first of course, and using only 90 mins) within 24 hours? It just ends up screwed for me trying to do it during work hours.