Ice Road Truckers - The History Channel

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
not necessarily - it's actually based on a one-hour special that ran earlier this year.

these aren't stupid men; these are hard working fellows who drive the ice roads in order to keep small settlements and businesses alive during the winter. It's a tough job, but it pays well - but dangerous.

I disagree with you about the demographic - if you ever venture into the north, you'll understand about the type of people who have to live and work there and how dangerous something like this is - but it's got to be done. Much along the same lines as "Deadliest Catch" - if you like that one, I think you'll enjoy this one.

I'll be watching. And no, I'm not a redneck or a country hick or trailer park trash nor a monster truck fan.

just a Canadian.

:D

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
not necessarily

I have no idea what it is you're not-necessarilly-ing. :Huh:

- it's actually based on a one-hour special that ran earlier this year.

Good to know.

these aren't stupid men;

Who said they were?????? (Not I.)

these are hard working fellows who drive the ice roads in order to keep small settlements and businesses alive during the winter. It's a tough job, but it pays well - but dangerous.

Sounds great.
icon14.gif

I disagree with you about the demographic

You disagree that blue collar types will want to watch this show?

Okay. Whatever. I can't make you NOT disagree.

- if you ever venture into the north, you'll understand about the type of people who have to live and work there and how dangerous something like this is - but it's got to be done.

Me thinks you are assuming I don't appreciate the dangers of this job already. Your choice of the words "if you [do this]" only then will I understand. Like I'm somehow not understanding already.

Much along the same lines as "Deadliest Catch" - if you like that one, I think you'll enjoy this one.

I missed that one.

quote=Sheryl Nantus;1409199]I'll be watching. And no, I'm not a redneck or a country hick or trailer park trash nor a monster truck fan. [/quote]

Neither am I. I wanna watch 'cuz it looks cool. :cool:

just a Canadian.

:D

Pfft! That explains it! :D

j/k

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd give it a shot. Looks kind of interesting.

Though I'm not blue collar, I'm a bit redneck. I love Deadliest Catch but hate monster trucks.

Am I still allowed to watch?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ice road

I saw teh one hour special, and enjoyed it. I think this show will appeal to anyone who has a sense of adventure, blue collar, white collar, or no collar.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Gah, I forgot it was on tonight. I fully intended to check it out but work was so busy it just completely slipped my mind...blarg. I might have to stay up late tonight to watch it when they air it again at 2 a.m. I used to do that when I didn't have Tuesdays off for Deadliest Catch.

~DragonHeart~

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Good show...those guys are nuts. I don't know if I'll add it to my list of "must watch" shows i.e. the ones I DVR, but definitely worth watching if I remember it's on.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see ice road truckers, but i've seen other special about the construction of the trucking highway that goes up into northern alaska. Harrowing driving conditions!

I did however watch Modern Marvels: The American Truck Stop this week!

I'll watch just about anything on Modern Marvels.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Hubby DVR'd it. I don't think he's watched it yet though. Looked interesting.

Plot, I think Sheryl was just trying to say that blue collar workers aren't the ONLY demographic that would be interested in the show.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
It's sort of like driving dog sleds across an endless field of white on white for hours and hours on end. It can hypnotize the driver, and 'drive' him a little looney. How can they remain alert in those conditions?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I didn't get the ads. Men who drive on ice? Why? And is that enough to sustain a series? I don't get it.

If I remember correctly, they deliver supplies to mining towns way up in northern Canada during the winter, and part of the route involves driving across a couple of huge frozen lakes. Sort of like driving an 18-wheeler across Lake Erie. I saw the 1-hour show awhile back, and it was actually fascinating.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it, and thought it was pretty good. In some ways, it's a lot like Deadliest Catch: big money, short season, lots of danger. They're driving 10,000 lbs over 20 inches of ice, and they have to drive slow to keep from crashing through. The road can only be made in winter over the frozen lakes and spongy permafrost, and they're lucky if it lasts 2 months. At the end, they're driving those massive loads through slush, and, just like the Bering Sea takes lives, people have died making the road, and driving it. Like they said on the show, if your truck cracks the ice and falls through, you'll plummet over 200 feet to the bottom of the lake, and the surface will refreeze in minutes due to the negative 40 degrees, so a survival suit wouldn't do you much good. My hat's off to those guys, because it takes a lot of guts to do that job.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
We watched it the other night. My husband used to be a truck driver and wanted to watch. It was pretty interesting.