Erma Bombeck

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I've heard great things about Erma Bombeck's skills at humor, so I started to read When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home. I got through approximately 50 pages before I had to quit. Not only did I not find it funny, I found it boring.

Is it just this book, or is her style of humor not for me?

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I think back in the day, (thirty-some years ago) Erma was funny. She was a trailblazer. But times have changed. When her first book was published (1967) we were watching Lassie, The Flying Nun and Bewitched. Now we have Desperate Housewives. Even Passport Photo was published 15 years ago. Long-time Erma fans or those of Erma's generation might have enjoyed it more.
I like Erma because she reminds me of a simpler time, when things weren't so crass, crude and "in your face".

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely loved Erma Bombeck, um, twenty or maybe twenty-five years ago. She was fall down funny. Humor rarely ages well.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I like Dave Berry, but I like him better when I read him as a weekly column. He's better in small doses.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read her since...yeah. I was just thinking the other day what her work would be like since I found it fall-down funny in my early teens (I'm 42 now, so there's a gauge). Think I should hie me hence to the library.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read her since...yeah. I was just thinking the other day what her work would be like since I found it fall-down funny in my early teens (I'm 42 now, so there's a gauge). Think I should hie me hence to the library.

Same for me. I'm 43 and thought her columns were hysterical when I was a teen. I read one of her books recently (last year or so) and her humor was very dated. But I still love her the way I love Bewitched-- not funny, but reminds me of a different life. Kind of comforting.