PDA

View Full Version : Ratatouille!

Novelust
06-17-2007, 06:55 PM
There are advantages to getting the newspaper at home (even one like the AJC - thank you, newspaper, for that time you ran that front page story about the woman who battled Wal-Mart over paying tax on $3.00 headbands during a tax-exempt holiday for school supplies - /sarcasm).

One of them appeared yesterday, while I was scanning the movie reviews - a advertised sneak peek at Pixar's latest. Last night, I went early and managed to get in and catch Ratatouille.

I thought it was a knockout. I know it's Pixar, so I really don't even have to say anything - you're pretty much assured something quality. Still, everyone in the theatre was laughing and cheering, and there was one moment involving a food critic (no spoilers, but you'll know it when you see it) that had me more than misty-eyed.

I'd put it high my personal Pixar scale, and set it right up there duking it out with 'Hot Fuzz' for my favorite summer movie. Go! See!

RLB
06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
One of my best friends from back home is an animator for Pixar. They were working crazy hours to get that movie out. They all bought pet rats (he's grown rather attached to his) so they could study their movements while making the film and brought them to work everyday.

It sounds like one of those dream companies to work for (not because of the rats). They sit around with wine and cheese and watch movies for inspiration. You can bring a beer to your desk. Ah, the elusive treat-your-employees-like-royalty creative environment.

maestrowork
06-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I went to the sneak preview, too. Great movie. Amazing animation. Wow. I think it may suffer in the box office though because it's more adult and less kiddy. The kids in the theater were quiet! But they didn't seem to be bored (you'd know when kids were bored) -- maybe they were quiet because they were so stunned by the beautiful animation?

And yes, the moment with Anton Ego (the critic) near the end had me kind of all choked up. Great moment.

I, too, think it's one of the best films this year so far, alongside Hot Fuzz. Unfortunately, most people are going to continue to flock to other mediocre "blockbusters" like Shrek the Third...

Novelust
06-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I hope its box office doesn't suffer. It's so damned *good* compared to the other kiddie fare being offered (the biggest complaint I had last night was that I had to sit through a preview for 'Daddy Day Camp' - geez, Cuba, I know jobs are hard to find, but dignity, man, dignity!).

I think the other big movie opening against it is 'Live Free or Die Hard.' I think that could work out, because the little'uns can go see the rat movie while the parents go see John McClain (sp?). My father cannot get over the preview - "That car! It hits the helicopter!" He's like a geeked-out third-grader. It's really cute. :)

maestrowork
06-17-2007, 07:43 PM
The stunts in Live Free and Die Hard are so over the top I wonder if I can really suspend my disbelief...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I saw the first trailer so far this season for 'Live Free or Die Hard' and I agree, Ray. Only the luckiest guy alive - or someone with a personal force field - could survive even those 30 seconds.

ChunkyC
06-19-2007, 04:49 AM
I've been really looking forward to Ratatouille. And I could die happy not seeing another Die Hard movie. The stunts in the trailer look so over the top as to be ludicrous. So, long live the Rat!

maestrowork
06-19-2007, 06:10 AM
The thing about the original Die Hard is that it was believable -- it could happen. And McClain was flesh and blood; we could really root for him. This one seems to make him out as a cartoon, with over the top superhero stunts. I'm sorry -- you've lost me there, big movie studio!

Trust me, CC, you will LOVE Ratatouille -- arguably one of the best Pixar films, even by Pixar's standards. It also harks back to Disney's golden age of animation (Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc.). Wonderful stuff.

ChaosTitan
06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
It also harks back to Disney's golden age of animation (Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc.). Wonderful stuff.

I'll still waiting for Disney to return to 2-D animation (yes, I know, a pipe dream). I enjoy the computer animated films, but there is just something about hand-painted backgrounds and animation cells.

I got all nostalgic yesterday and watched two childhood favorites: The Secret of NIMH and Watership Down. It made me realize that no one produces animated dramas anymore. They are all comedies.

Le sigh.

*feels a blog rant coming on*

III
06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
I love Patton Oswalt - anything he does is hillarious. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably take my kids to see this on Friday.

PenTeller
06-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I'll still waiting for Disney to return to 2-D animation (yes, I know, a pipe dream). I enjoy the computer animated films, but there is just something about hand-painted backgrounds and animation cells.

Disney's coming out with a new 2-D one in 2009, I think, called the Princess and the Frog. It takes place in New Orleans in the 1920s, and Randy Newman is composing the score. So I have pretty high expectations for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Frog

As far as Ratatouille goes, I am now really excited to see it. Thanks for all the recs, you guys!

Saanen
06-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh gawd, I am so jealous you all got to see a sneak preview of Ratatouille! This is the movie I've been waiting for ever since I first heard about it, and I'm all whipped up into a frenzy of excitement after seeing the nine-minute sneak peek online.

Those of you who've seen it--my incredibly uptight and overprotective sister-in-law doesn't want to take my nephews to see it until she's previewed it, which will probably be never. Is there anything at all in the movie that could upset her? Keep in mind she was upset that we took them to Cars last summer because they used the word "sexy" and said "hillbilly hell" twice. Her boys are (now) 10 and 5.

I can't wait to see the movie, myself. I love animation. If I had it all to do over again I'd be an animator now.

maestrowork
06-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Keep in mind she was upset that we took them to Cars last summer because they used the word "sexy" and said "hillbilly hell" twice. Her boys are (now) 10 and 5.

Lordy, don't tell me your SIL is one of those. FWIW, Cars was rated PG and Ratatouile is rated G.

Saanen
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Lordy, don't tell me your SIL is one of those. FWIW, Cars was rated PG and Ratatouile is rated G.

Ah, thanks, I'll point that out to her! I was thinking Cars was G also because it's SO innocuous, although the way my SIL acted you'd think it was rated R.

III
06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Ah, thanks, I'll point that out to her! I was thinking Cars was G also because it's SO innocuous, although the way my SIL acted you'd think it was rated R.

Maybe she accidentally rented the unrated director's cut version with the infamous "pumping" scene.

maestrowork
06-20-2007, 08:49 PM

She's gonna flip when the two main characters kiss! Goodness, such filth!

Deadbeat 007
06-21-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm a BIG Disney/Pixar fan, so I've been really anxious to see this movie. I'm glad you guys liked it! :) Can't wait till it's released!

Soccer Mom
06-21-2007, 11:11 PM
This thread makes me extremely happy! I can't WAIT to see this. Soccer Dad and I have a date to see it when it comes out. And then we'll probably see it again and take the kids. :D

Still haven't seen Drek the III.

maestrowork
06-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Bump.

My review has just been picked up by Advance.net and Boston.com. You can read it on multiple sites (Michigan, Jersey, PA, Mass.), including here at Cleveland.com (http://blog.cleveland.com/movies/).

ChunkyC
06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Way cool, Ray!

NiennaC
06-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Gosh, I can't wait to see it! I was wondering how good it would be when the trailer came out. I mean, it sounds good and all, but sometimes these things don't turn out as well as I would have hoped from the previews. But the praise here is encouraging.

I can't wait for that to happen, as well.

childeroland
07-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Saw it yesterday. Superb film.

Gosh, I can't wait to see it! I was wondering how good it would be when the trailer came out. I mean, it sounds good and all, but sometimes these things don't turn out as well as I would have hoped from the previews. But the praise here is encouraging.

I can't wait for that to happen, as well.

nevada
07-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. And I see a LOT of movies. I think they should give Oscars for voice works because the guy that voiced Linguini did an incredible job. And just the night before I saw Surf's Up which is also really good. Loved both of them. How exciting to see two high-quality animated movies in a row. SO much better than Shrek 3. Hopefully everyone will see that too.

The_Grand_Duchess
07-01-2007, 07:59 AM
I just saw it! It was so sweet! I loved it! The scene where they prepared the meal for the food critic was awesome. That was coming together as a team.

FYI, they're supposed to making a return to 2-D animation soon. The film is the Frog Princess. I think it's due out in 2009. I know this becuase she's supposed to be the first black princess.

zpeteman
07-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Just saw this and loved it. Unfortunately there were only about eight other people in the theatre (prime time, Sat. night) and several of those walked out in the middle of the movie and didn't return. What the hell is wrong with people! The irony!

The_Grand_Duchess
07-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Just saw this and loved it. Unfortunately there were only about eight other people in the theatre (prime time, Sat. night) and several of those walked out in the middle of the movie and didn't return. What the hell is wrong with people! The irony!

I had the complete opposite. Bunch of kids. They were good though :)

maestrowork
07-01-2007, 09:12 AM

Where do you live? LOL. Walking out of this? Wow. I bet they hate rats.

I went again and the theater was packed with a mix crowd -- lots of young people (teenagers, college age), couples, and families with kids. The kids were very well behaved -- no screaming or crying... but not a lot of belly laughs either so I am not sure if they liked it or not. But the adults -- wow, you should have heard them. And everyone clapped afterwards -- it's rare when I hear people applaud after a movie, so that was pretty cool.

Toothpaste
07-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I saw it! I loved it! Man it was just so beautiful to watch, and what a great story! And the voice work was totally awesome! I still think adults are going to like it better than kids though, there was one little girl towards the end of the film who asked loudly if it was over yet lol!

Can't wait to see it again!

tourdeforce
07-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Just saw it yesterday.

Wonderful movie with incredible animation, a great story and, at times, edge of your seat slapstick.

Another triumph for Pixar, not a homerun at the level of Toy Story 1/2 or The Incredibles, but a definite success.

And I walked out of this movie starving!

childeroland
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
The film will probably take in about 50 mill this weekend, very good, though not 'Finding Nemo', 'Incredibles' good. Brad Bird, the director, has been getting better and better since 'Iron Giant'.

maestrowork
07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
According to showbizdata, they made $16.5 million on Friday. Saturday and Sunday takes should be a bit higher... and that would put them in the $48-55M range. Not as good as the Incredibles... not even as good as Cars, but still would put them at the top (Die Hard 4 made about $10M on Friday). Pixar would have a perfect record for their 8 features -- how do they do it?

childeroland
07-01-2007, 10:59 PM
They're turning out to be the American Studio Ghibli -- consistently creating charismatic characters and great, rollicking stories to wrap around them. It's interesting to compare Ratatouille to Flushed Away, a good movie that didn't get the attention it deserved (like the Wallace and Gromit feature).

There's a great article about Disney's struggle to market the film at the Jim Hill Media site. I'm so glad quality animation is doing this well. Leaves hope Miyazaki's next film will get better marketing in the U.S.

maestrowork
07-02-2007, 04:01 AM
Yeah, how do you market a "mature" animation about rats in the kitchen?

childeroland
07-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Most of the people at the theater I went to were families with kids, but the kids seemed to enjoy it.

JoNightshade
07-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Okay, people, convince me. I so did not want to see this movie at all but now everyone's saying it's fantastic and I'm having slight second thoughts.

The reason I didn't want to see this was because of the preview. Every single frickin time I have been to the theatre in the past 6 months, they played the preview for this movie. I found it SO INCREDIBLY annoying that I wanted to scream. I couldn't stand the voice-over narration that basically just explained the entire plot and then said "Hey, this is funny." Argh. Just grated on my nerves.

So if I hated the preview this much, any chance of me liking the movie?

maestrowork
07-03-2007, 06:46 AM
The preview is the least part of the film... wait, some of what's in the preview wasn't even in the actual movie.

I remember watching the preview to Cars and thought the movie was going to suck... the preview was awkful. Okay, it wasn't the best thing that came out of Pixar but it still wasn't half bad... And I didn't think Finding Nemo's preview was any good either, until I saw the movie... WOW.

eldragon
07-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I watched this movie yesterday. It was excellent. I really enjoyed it.

I also love rats, and used to have a special pet rat named Sparky. Unfortunately, Sparky had to be put to sleep last year because she had heart disease and wasn't responding to her meds.

She was a very special rat.

Unfortunately, most of the world seems to really hate rats. I have tried to incorporate rats into therapy at a nursing home I volunteer at, and people are just grossed out by them.

It's too bad rats aren't given a chance, because they really can be perfect pets. They take up little space and are very intelligent.

RLB
07-07-2007, 10:24 PM
And I walked out of this movie starving!

I saw it last night and walked out hungry as well!

I chatted with my friend at Pixar afterwards and told him this. He laughed and said while they were working, the art director would remind them that the goal was to make the viewers hungry. Every scene the food had to look delicious. I told him to pay her my compliments!

TheIT
07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I saw this movie yesterday and loved it. Excellent story and animation, and the voice casting was great. Peter O'Toole was perfect as the voice of the food critic.

I also liked the fact the rats and humans could only communicate through gesture. The story had a couple of twists I didn't expect, which is also gratifying.

Deadbeat 007
07-09-2007, 02:08 AM
And everyone clapped afterwards -- it's rare when I hear people applaud after a movie, so that was pretty cool.

Yeah, there was applause after I saw it on Wednesday, as well. It was packed, but then again, it was the 4th of July. I enjoyed this movie so much! The CGI was incredible, and the characters were highly likable. The story wasn't too bogged down, but I wasn't able to predict some of the little plot twists, so it seemed just right to me. And it was funny! I wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I did. =]

Mom'sWrite
07-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I took the kids to see it this afternoon. Although I love everything little thing that Pixar does and really dug the message of living your dream no matter what the circumstances and the kids really enjoyed it, I have to admit I squished down in my seat a little harder every time there was a rat shown in the kitchen. The ick factor is just too deeply ingrained. Somehow, if I ever find myself in Paris, eating at the finest restaurant in the city, I know my demented mind will toy with the idea of making sure a rat was not involved with the preparation of my dinner.

The short that they showed before the film was inspired. I adored it.

Toothpaste
07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Yes but at least the rats were steam cleaned!

Mom'sWrite
07-11-2007, 06:27 PM
It wouldn't have mattered if they had been marched through an autoclave, rolled in Purell and topped off with a thorough misting of Lysol, they are still rats in the kitchen, around food, that's being served to humans. They must have searched through my unconscious, found the door marked "Things Most Feared by Carol" and helped themselves to what was there. I fully expect a movie showcasing the delights of being trapped in a car that's underwater. Won't that be fun!

clockwork
10-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Fantastic film. Pure joyous entertainment. And the Peter O'Toole character... I hung on every word of his dialogue.

**Spoiler**

This film really appealed to the bohemian in me and, I'm sure, in all of us. I thought the humour was quite broad which was fine and I expected that but I have to say, when the critic Ego tasted the ratatouille and had a flashback to his childhood, eating the same food cooked by his mother... dammit, I teared up. One of the best films of the year.

maestrowork
10-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Definitely. Too bad some people were repulsed by the idea of rats...