Ratatouille!

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
There are advantages to getting the newspaper at home (even one like the AJC - thank you, newspaper, for that time you ran that front page story about the woman who battled Wal-Mart over paying tax on $3.00 headbands during a tax-exempt holiday for school supplies - /sarcasm).

One of them appeared yesterday, while I was scanning the movie reviews - a advertised sneak peek at Pixar's latest. Last night, I went early and managed to get in and catch Ratatouille.

I thought it was a knockout. I know it's Pixar, so I really don't even have to say anything - you're pretty much assured something quality. Still, everyone in the theatre was laughing and cheering, and there was one moment involving a food critic (no spoilers, but you'll know it when you see it) that had me more than misty-eyed.

I'd put it high my personal Pixar scale, and set it right up there duking it out with 'Hot Fuzz' for my favorite summer movie. Go! See!

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
One of my best friends from back home is an animator for Pixar. They were working crazy hours to get that movie out. They all bought pet rats (he's grown rather attached to his) so they could study their movements while making the film and brought them to work everyday.

It sounds like one of those dream companies to work for (not because of the rats). They sit around with wine and cheese and watch movies for inspiration. You can bring a beer to your desk. Ah, the elusive treat-your-employees-like-royalty creative environment.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I went to the sneak preview, too. Great movie. Amazing animation. Wow. I think it may suffer in the box office though because it's more adult and less kiddy. The kids in the theater were quiet! But they didn't seem to be bored (you'd know when kids were bored) -- maybe they were quiet because they were so stunned by the beautiful animation?

And yes, the moment with Anton Ego (the critic) near the end had me kind of all choked up. Great moment.

I, too, think it's one of the best films this year so far, alongside Hot Fuzz. Unfortunately, most people are going to continue to flock to other mediocre "blockbusters" like Shrek the Third...

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope its box office doesn't suffer. It's so damned *good* compared to the other kiddie fare being offered (the biggest complaint I had last night was that I had to sit through a preview for 'Daddy Day Camp' - geez, Cuba, I know jobs are hard to find, but dignity, man, dignity!).

I think the other big movie opening against it is 'Live Free or Die Hard.' I think that could work out, because the little'uns can go see the rat movie while the parents go see John McClain (sp?). My father cannot get over the preview - "That car! It hits the helicopter!" He's like a geeked-out third-grader. It's really cute. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The stunts in Live Free and Die Hard are so over the top I wonder if I can really suspend my disbelief...

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I saw the first trailer so far this season for 'Live Free or Die Hard' and I agree, Ray. Only the luckiest guy alive - or someone with a personal force field - could survive even those 30 seconds.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been really looking forward to Ratatouille. And I could die happy not seeing another Die Hard movie. The stunts in the trailer look so over the top as to be ludicrous. So, long live the Rat!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The thing about the original Die Hard is that it was believable -- it could happen. And McClain was flesh and blood; we could really root for him. This one seems to make him out as a cartoon, with over the top superhero stunts. I'm sorry -- you've lost me there, big movie studio!

Trust me, CC, you will LOVE Ratatouille -- arguably one of the best Pixar films, even by Pixar's standards. It also harks back to Disney's golden age of animation (Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc.). Wonderful stuff.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It also harks back to Disney's golden age of animation (Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc.). Wonderful stuff.

I'll still waiting for Disney to return to 2-D animation (yes, I know, a pipe dream). I enjoy the computer animated films, but there is just something about hand-painted backgrounds and animation cells.

I got all nostalgic yesterday and watched two childhood favorites: The Secret of NIMH and Watership Down. It made me realize that no one produces animated dramas anymore. They are all comedies.

Le sigh.

*feels a blog rant coming on*

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I love Patton Oswalt - anything he does is hillarious. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably take my kids to see this on Friday.

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
I'll still waiting for Disney to return to 2-D animation (yes, I know, a pipe dream). I enjoy the computer animated films, but there is just something about hand-painted backgrounds and animation cells.

Disney's coming out with a new 2-D one in 2009, I think, called the Princess and the Frog. It takes place in New Orleans in the 1920s, and Randy Newman is composing the score. So I have pretty high expectations for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Frog

As far as Ratatouille goes, I am now really excited to see it. Thanks for all the recs, you guys!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Oh gawd, I am so jealous you all got to see a sneak preview of Ratatouille! This is the movie I've been waiting for ever since I first heard about it, and I'm all whipped up into a frenzy of excitement after seeing the nine-minute sneak peek online.

Those of you who've seen it--my incredibly uptight and overprotective sister-in-law doesn't want to take my nephews to see it until she's previewed it, which will probably be never. Is there anything at all in the movie that could upset her? Keep in mind she was upset that we took them to Cars last summer because they used the word "sexy" and said "hillbilly hell" twice. Her boys are (now) 10 and 5.

I can't wait to see the movie, myself. I love animation. If I had it all to do over again I'd be an animator now.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Keep in mind she was upset that we took them to Cars last summer because they used the word "sexy" and said "hillbilly hell" twice. Her boys are (now) 10 and 5.

Lordy, don't tell me your SIL is one of those. FWIW, Cars was rated PG and Ratatouile is rated G.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Lordy, don't tell me your SIL is one of those. FWIW, Cars was rated PG and Ratatouile is rated G.

Ah, thanks, I'll point that out to her! I was thinking Cars was G also because it's SO innocuous, although the way my SIL acted you'd think it was rated R.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Ah, thanks, I'll point that out to her! I was thinking Cars was G also because it's SO innocuous, although the way my SIL acted you'd think it was rated R.

Maybe she accidentally rented the unrated director's cut version with the infamous "pumping" scene.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

She's gonna flip when the two main characters kiss! Goodness, such filth!

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a BIG Disney/Pixar fan, so I've been really anxious to see this movie. I'm glad you guys liked it! :) Can't wait till it's released!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread makes me extremely happy! I can't WAIT to see this. Soccer Dad and I have a date to see it when it comes out. And then we'll probably see it again and take the kids. :D

Still haven't seen Drek the III.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I can't wait to see it! I was wondering how good it would be when the trailer came out. I mean, it sounds good and all, but sometimes these things don't turn out as well as I would have hoped from the previews. But the praise here is encouraging.

I can't wait for that to happen, as well.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Saw it yesterday. Superb film.

Gosh, I can't wait to see it! I was wondering how good it would be when the trailer came out. I mean, it sounds good and all, but sometimes these things don't turn out as well as I would have hoped from the previews. But the praise here is encouraging.

I can't wait for that to happen, as well.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. And I see a LOT of movies. I think they should give Oscars for voice works because the guy that voiced Linguini did an incredible job. And just the night before I saw Surf's Up which is also really good. Loved both of them. How exciting to see two high-quality animated movies in a row. SO much better than Shrek 3. Hopefully everyone will see that too.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I just saw it! It was so sweet! I loved it! The scene where they prepared the meal for the food critic was awesome. That was coming together as a team.

FYI, they're supposed to making a return to 2-D animation soon. The film is the Frog Princess. I think it's due out in 2009. I know this becuase she's supposed to be the first black princess.

zpeteman

Natural born...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thefiddlersgun.com
Just saw this and loved it. Unfortunately there were only about eight other people in the theatre (prime time, Sat. night) and several of those walked out in the middle of the movie and didn't return. What the hell is wrong with people! The irony!