Shot in Head

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I've been shot in the head with a nailgun.
3 1/2 inch nail decided to miss the board of a deck we are building on to the back of our house and ricochet off my right eyebrow. About a once inch gash, bled profusely, but ER doc says ok. Barely missed my eye and I was like 20 feet away from the nailgun so it could have been much worse. My hubby did it. Needless to say there was high laughter throughout the hospital at the time, I couldn't stop grinning at the story.

But I'm going to be resting for a bit. No writing as I type letters a bit backwards and retyping them is a bit annoying at the moment. Will have pics of deck and face soon I'm sure. Posting this to AW and to Myspace for those who wonder.

And the story we learn today children is that nailguns are scary beasts, especially in the hands of a younger spouse. But he was very apologetic. After a few towels of blood and a ruined shirt and pants of mine especially so.

Adam, my bestest friend, was there helping and I was most crushed that he didn't "take one for the team" and step into its path. Hmprh, and he calls himself a best friend;) Anyhow. going to lie and relax now. The whole right side of my face just aches right now.

Peace and caramel.

Reaction score
Damn you all - why do you keep getting injured, fellow A-Dubbers? Why can't this be all about me and my razor-in-the-hand incident?

:D

Get well soon tina, you loon! ;)

Last edited:

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
We are all glad that you are all right.

On it's own, this 'hubby accidentally shot me with a nailgun' thread seems just like bad luck but taken in context with your 'hubby almost dropped the hair dryer into my tub but it bounced off the edge' thread and your 'somehow my brake line got accidentally cut' thread, I see a disturbing pattern developing.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Tina- I strongly urge you to cancel your upcoming hunting trip.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
The running joke currently seems to be "She broke a nail helping build the deck".

Its funny that one thinks one has had a headache until something like this happens, then you REALLY know what a headache feels like. just some swelling, black skin, gaping hole, and a headache today. It happened last night around 5pm or so I'd say. I can't really remember precisely, imagine that.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
...But what he doesn't know is that you've secretly been taking lessons from a rogue circus performer who teaches you how to catch nails between your teeth. Next time he'll think he's got you for sure in a "freak nailgun accident," but after your apparently lifeless body is washed downriver you skip town and change your name and start over. I saw that film, I think.

-Derek

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Geez-Louise! But you know, you'll be able to milk this one for years. When you're in your 90s and the nursing home aides aren't paying you enough attention to improve the quality of your life, you'll be able to regale them with this story. By then, it should probably be at least 3 nails, though.

I hope you feel better real soon. BTW, this has bought you all the credit you'll ever need not to participate in any deck refinishing, ever.

Maryn, with you on the "real" headache (having shattered the bones above the nose years ago while exercising for her health--hah!)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
You were very, very lucky. Co-worker of Ol' Boy's got a nail from a nail gun right dead center of the eyeball. They carried him out on a stretcher with the nail still embedded in the socket. Ugly.

Get well quick!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Feel better, Tina!

And OFG, that's funny. An old friend of mine (Jack) got a ricochet nail in the eyeball once, and ended up losing the eye. We had a lot of fun calling him "One-eyed Jack", to which he always replied, "You know one-eyed Jacks are wild!" hehe.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
You see, this is why I still favor the hammer. You might hit your thumb but no blood.

Why do I get the suspicion that nail gun weilding nutcases will now start appearing in my work?

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
A riveting story. Sorry Tina, you know me.... rest up and take care.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I'm so glad you are ok! Thing is, when I read your post, it sounded familiar.

nail-gun-brain.jpg

Btw, the guy in this x-ray was ok back in 2005 when the story was published in USA Today online:
A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dr. Google-Dawno, you have a call in post 3. :tongue

I actually saw a story on tv where a guy was shot in the head and it missed vital parts of his brain.

Way to take a nail in the head, Tina!

Whew glad you're okay.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Edited to add: The coolest part was that the nail was found,while it was still bloddy and bits of eyebrow and flesh attached. Now thats just cool.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Edited to add: The coolest part was that the nail was found,while it was still bloddy and bits of eyebrow and flesh attached. Now thats just cool.

ew! tina.
I'm glad you're all right.

(there's gotta be at least one story in there)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
2.gif
I can just see all these short stories being published within the year about being nailed in the head. And the protagonist's name is: *drumroll* Tina.

Whew! Glad you're all right!

One of my husband's friends thought it'd be great fun to see if my husband would jump if he put a staple gun to his back. The friend thought it was empty. Not. They got it out with a staple remover. Handy things.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'm so glad you are ok! Thing is, when I read your post, it sounded familiar.

nail-gun-brain.jpg

Btw, the guy in this x-ray was ok back in 2005 when the story was published in USA Today online:

Geez. If this guy was unaware of having a nail in his head, he should have shot himself in the 'nads to remove himself from the gene pool.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Your hubby thought you needed a deck like you needed a hole in your head?

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Glad you're going to be all right. And tell your husband no more at-home piercings from now on.

I once put a staple through my thumb with an electric stapler. Any other moron would have at least unplugged it before trying to unjam it, but nope, not me. Perfect Tim Taylor moment.
And yeah, staple removers are very nice things, indeed...

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Man today sucks.
I thought that it'd hurt more the day after but turns out today is the day for that

Thanks for the well wishes. Its just funnier as the moments pass now... once you realise its all ok and you've escaped what could have been a VERY bad moment, its just the butt of every joke.

Thanks all, for your humor and your ability to let me smile through this;)