The use of Grow. And other pet peeves...

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I guess I first heard the "new" use of grow about 3 years ago from a politician. He wanted to "grow the economy". Not a beard, not an additional lobe in his brain by which to filter language usage, but the economy. Soon this "want" became a "need" as in the need to "grow the support for the war in Iraq" I have since heard it and had to translate it in annual reports and even interpret it in testimony give by manufacturer representatives.
Does this usage bother anyone else?
Are writers using it in their work as narrative ?

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Oh language

I guess I first heard the "new" use of grow about 3 years ago from a politician. He wanted to "grow the economy". Not a beard, not an additional lobe in his brain by which to filter language usage, but the economy. Soon this "want" became a "need" as in the need to "grow the support for the war in Iraq" I have since heard it and had to translate it in annual reports and even interpret it in testimony give by manufacturer representatives.
Does this usage bother anyone else?
Are writers using it in their work as narrative ?

Hmmm....not me. I write narratives to put language in its place. No substantard usages employed even as a way of having a character have characteristics. The periodic sentence is the worst offence I allow and that usually results in nearly instantaneous decapitation.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves is parent used as a verb. Nails on a blackboard! :(

cooltouch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelmcbroom.com
Yeah, we all have them.

"Gender" instead of "sex". "They/their/them" used in a singular context to avoid "gender" issues. Ack! English doesn't have gender, for pete's sake!

Uh. "Decimate" used instead of "destroy" -- what, they think it sounds better cuz it has an extra syllable?

"I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

I wonder if anybody anymore realizes that to "beg the question" does not mean what they think it does? "Begging the question" is a form of logical fallacy in which an argument is assumed to be true without evidence other than the argument itself. In other words, it is circular reasoning.

Best,

Michael

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Uh. "Decimate" used instead of "destroy" -- what, they think it sounds better cuz it has an extra syllable?
Or else, as the Romans meant it, they actually wish to execute 10% of the soldiers for insufficient zeal in battle. I think Cheney might go for that. (Oops -- gratuitous policital jibe in wrong forum.)

cooltouch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelmcbroom.com
Or else, as the Romans meant it, they actually wish to execute 10% of the soldiers for insufficient zeal in battle. I think Cheney might go for that. (Oops -- gratuitous policital jibe in wrong forum.)

Not even. The context you're most likely to hear it used in is with some empty-headed fluffy-haired talking head on TV trying to sound like he knows what the hell he's talking about. Or she, as the case may be.

Best,

Michael

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I once was released from jury duty for the reason that the defense lawyer made so many grammatical errors in his voir dire that I lost respect for him and his client. The judge, interestingly enough, allowed for those of us who wanted to present our reasons in private, for not being able to provide an unbiased review of the facts,to do so in judges chambers and I was apologetic to both attorneys and the judge. But after I explained my feelings- the judge looked over at the lawyer and said, "See? I told you so." And I wanted to serve- so I was reassigned to another panel. But I believe correct language usage does reflect on the speaker. I hope I didn't make any errors in this post...

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
May I add a couple of my own?

Different than, rather than different from. Bigger than, yes. It's comparative. I know there can be argument about this, but than always turns me off for some reason. I tend do do an end run, such as "not the same as," "Differs from."

I won't bother you with "like" and "as."

My mother always told me, "The reason is not because, the reason is."

I am still old-fashioned about such things as nouns becoming verbs: impact for one. Adjectives becoming nouns: "It was a fun party." etc. I know, usage changes, and new words and meanings are added to the dictionary, I just cringe from time to time. I worked for Encyclopaedia Britannica for several years, where grammar and usage was paramount. So it goes.

"In composing, as a general rule, run your pen through every other word you have written; you have no idea what vigor it will give your style" Sydney Smith

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I'm growing more and more to hate "stake holders" as collective noun for those with an interest in something.
The business world is responsible for most of the language "innovations" that drive me insane (like the aforementioned "impact" as verb). Of course, it only serves to make me doubly crazy when one of those idiocies is then modified further (e.g., "impact" as verb becoming "impactful" as adjective).

Thank god I don't do editorial work anymore. I'd have hung myself long before now. And wouldn't that have been impactful?

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
"I like verbing words. It weirds language."
--Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)

(It drives me nuts, but I'm only sharing this quote to grow this thread.)

My biggie is those damn yard signs that say something like "The LaRocca's." Um, his what? No wait, don't answer that!

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Outfit.

It. Is. A. Noun.
I don't know about that one, Rob; my shorter OED says it was used as both a transitive and intransitive verb by the late 19th century. Are you still back in the early 19th sipping tea with Lord Grey?

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I don't know about that one, Rob; my shorter OED says it was used as both a transitive and intransitive verb by the late 19th century. Are you still back in the early 19th sipping tea with Lord Grey?
Any usage differing with that of the later 17th is bullocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Eddie Bauer moans from inside his mummy bag.

Last edited:

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Benchmarks
It's everywhere. I am translating it in lots of power phrased memo's and Board of Director's minutes. It is not truly understood either-allowing for so many misinterpretations.
On this date, I hereby predict that it will be a verb by the end of the year.
"Have you benchmarked today"? :Soapbox:

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the misuse of "graduate". As in "I graduated high school".
No, you didn't. You graduated FROM high school.