Should Humor Proposals Be Humorous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraperJC

Registered
Reaction score
On the town square, at dawn, with sword or pistol.
I normally write F&SF and queries/proposals are straightforward and businesslike. However, lightning struck and I wrote a humorous piece. Now I'm looking to publish it and I'm wondering what your opinions are on the proposal. I'm thinking the proposal should be reflect the humor in the work proposed. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since you say "proposal" I'm assuming it's a novel. I've never written a humorous novel, (or any other type novel) but if I had I wouldn't get too "cute" on the proposal.

But you called it a humorous "piece," which gives me the impression that it's a shorter chunk of prose than a novel.

I'm fermished.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you write humorous SS's, Articles, essays, there are no queries. If that's what you're asking.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
If you're talking a short piece that you'd submit to a magazine or humor ezine, then I do have experience in that and treating it like any other submission seems to work just fine. I write a short, professional cover letter, listing the piece, the word count, and where I've been published before, and thank them for their time.

I don't think they want to see a funny cover letter; I think they want to see a funny submission from an author who is professional.

In terms of a funny novel, there you'd need to do research into what your particular targeted agents would want to receive -- some seem to prefer business-like, some want the hook as the first sentence, etc.

Q.Rious

Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh. I always write a funny cover letter.

Maybe it wasn't so funny...that would explain it being returned, torn into 11,928 pieces, wouldn't it?

sgtmrb03

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Q. I have the gene that doesn't allow me to write a straight cover letter (or bibliography, whatever that is). Probably explains why I'm unpublished. That, or my horrendous writing.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
In short, yes (assuming it requires a proposal at all; if you're talking about a humor essay for a magazine, you're expected to just submit it on spec, no query needed).

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I have some publishers interested in a humor book I've written, and the proposal I sent them opened with a humorous line. If they're looking for humor, the best way to "hook" them (IMHO) is to get them laughing right up front.

I'll let you know if it works for me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.