My New Computer

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I just acquired a new computer last week and I love it :) It's a Compaq with Windows Vista (which i'm not really happy about) but the company I ordered it from only puts Vista on their computers... Still, I'm slowly getting used to it and haven't had any problems... Just thought i'd share my happiness.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I just acquired a new computer last week and I love it :) It's a Compaq with Windows Vista (which i'm not really happy about) but the company I ordered it from only puts Vista on their computers... Still, I'm slowly getting used to it and haven't had any problems... Just thought i'd share my happiness.

Congratulations! Compaq is a pretty decent brand. I used to use Compaqs all the time, and they're reliable enough.

Best wishes with the new machine.

:)

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks...:) Yeah i've heard Compaq's are reliable..and so far I LOVE it :) It's got one of those widescreen monitors...I compared this screen with the one on my wife's computer...talk about night and day :) It's sooo much smaller :)

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Go on, tell us the specs. RAM, graphics, CPU, these are the things I wanna hear about.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
It's an AMD sempron, 80GB hard drive.. 2.0GHZ, NVIDIA graphics card..512RAM...so forth and so on...It's a powerful laptop that's for sure. :)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
It's an AMD sempron, 80GB hard drive.. 2.0GHZ, NVIDIA graphics card..512RAM...so forth and so on...It's a powerful laptop that's for sure. :)

AMD? Good chip. My first machine had an AMD K6-2, which was about the equivalent at the time to a very slow P-3. I like AMD's stuff.

I have a friend with a Compaq laptop that is just about the same as yours, except I think his processor is an AMD Turion. His is a bit sluggish to work with, as I usually help him figure things out on it -- he's totally new to computers and has a lot of learning to go through -- but it's still a pretty good piece of equipment. If I get another laptop in the next few years, I might just get one of the Compaq or HP models. I like them a bundle.

:)

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted a MAC but can't afford one of those just yet...still i'm happy with it---no problems with Vista either... It recognizes and automatically installs drivers like flash drives and such :) Pretty cool.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you finally got your computer and it's working great for you!

Vista, for being as young as it is, is working out great on my new Dell and I'm really happy with it.

:D

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats aw, I got one too a laptop Compac--but I do not know how to use vista, and I dare not try... ;)

Just jump in the windows start up and it will walk you through. It's really easy to run! You'll enjoy it once you've got it running!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Once you've spent about an hour or so with it, you'll pick up on it. I didn't even go through the walk-through/tutorial thing. If you've used XP, Vista is similar in some aspects.

I like it :)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but this is an Office Party topic. Goals and Accomplishments is for things of the writerly variety. So, I've moved it.

All the same, my FIL insists Vista is fantastic. I'm glad you're enjoying the new gear!

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
Is it the C500?

I have not been a fan of Compaqs but when the C500 was on sale at Best Buy memorial day I ran out and grabbed one for a "kick it around" computer. It was $350.00 and I had a GC so I paid $342 cash!

Bought two 1GB memory cards on ebay, installed them in like-- five seconds-- and now it's maxed out at 2Gigs... BLAZES! I stripped out Norton and all the Office nonsense that bloats it and installed Open Office, AVG, and have fallen in love. A lot of people seem to dislike the keyboard, but I like the gaps and springiness.

Congrats!! If it's the same one it's a bargain and you'll LOVE it!

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck. ^_^ Sometimes computers are a pain in spine.

Deleted member 42

I wanted a MAC but can't afford one of those just yet...still i'm happy with it---no problems with Vista either... It recognizes and automatically installs drivers like flash drives and such :) Pretty cool.

If you've got a monitor, USB keyboard and mouse, just buy a Mac mini.

:D

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Aiiiee! Vista! :D

From what I've heard, the big problems with the new OS come from trying to upgrade an older Windows system to Vista. As long as the computer came installed with it, there shouldn't be any problems.

Enjoy your shiny new computer! :)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score

From what I've heard, the big problems with the new OS come from trying to upgrade an older Windows system to Vista. As long as the computer came installed with it, there shouldn't be any problems.

I found the same thing to be true when upgrading from 98SE to XP. My old machine would have been better able to handle XP if I had taken 98 completely off and installed XP on it.

The problem was, I had this nasty desire to have all my old programs on the machine.

But now I have a machine that's actually slower in some cases than my previous machine, and it has XP Professional installed on it. It's actually faster and more efficient with its use of the the OS than the old machine was with the upgrade to XP from 98SE.

Upgrades, I guess, are a waste of time. Better to have the OS installed using the OEM version than to have it installed via an upgrade.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Just make sure to upgrade your memory to at least over 1GB, and Vista will run fine. Otherwise, it's dog-slow.

And if you don't use a web browser-type e-mail setup (you use Windows Mail), make sure not to let it install the latest auto-update...yikes, that was a pain in the ass.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com

I am happy for you. Getting a new computer gives you a great buzz and I remember when I bought my XP 2 years ago. I would like a new computer now but I can't afford it yet. One day!

Enjoy your computer and treat it kindly.

Barbara

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody using Vista with a TV tuner? We're on the market for a new laptop and it would be nice to make it do some tricks...

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score

The only friend I have who has Vista upgraded his computer to it and he had no problems...but then he's good with computers. I'd probably end up with smoke coming from the stupid box thing.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
If you're doing Vista, get a new computer, like aspiring did. (And I did, too, a few months ago.) Unless you're like CC or Fahim who are techies and can install over XP. The more RAM you get, the better. I got 2 Gig Ram, 256 video card, and Vista Home Premium. I love it.

Enjoy, aspiringwriter!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Anybody using Vista with a TV tuner? We're on the market for a new laptop and it would be nice to make it do some tricks...

Buddy of mine got a Dell with an external HD/Cable tuner (USB2). Works great for him.

I don't remember the exact model.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I got this new desktop (that I put on the floor) a few months ago, it's my first XP machine, but it works just like NT4 from long ago, only with more things running around in the background...
The only friend I have who has Vista upgraded his computer to it and he had no problems...but then he's good with computers. I'd probably end up with smoke coming from the stupid box thing.
Most of the people I know who are "good with computers" have NOT upgraded to Vista...