PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATULATIONS, johnrobison!

Cathy C
06-16-2007, 12:09 AM
This seemed a good (and inspiring) place to post this, rather than in Announcements.

I just picked up my June 11th edition of Publisher's Weekly and what is the cover story but "Fall's Big Bets." I gotta tell ya, I was :hooray: to see that our very own johnrobison is plugged under a section called "Memoir on the Rebound." If I may be so bold . . . ahem:

Memoir on the Rebound
...18 months after James Frey imploded on Oprah, readers may be ready to turn back to more intimate stories. Goldin and Kashkashian were buzzing about Look Me in the Eye: My life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (Crown, Sept.), which Robison's brother Augusten Burroghs, will help him promote.

"Goldin" being Daniel Goldin of Harry W. Schwartz Booksellers in Milwaukee, and "Kashkashian" being Arsen Kashkashian, buyer at Colorado's Boulder Bookstore--two of the leading "trend-watchers" in books.

YOU GO, BOY!!! When you hit the NYTimes list, you will remember us poor wannabe slobs at AW, right? :D

Sakamonda
06-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Many, many congrats John. May you debut on the NYT list at No. 1. And, perhaps, spread a little of that glory around to us pathetic wannabes here on AW.

Jill

awatkins
06-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Wonderful! :hooray: :hooray:

Ziljon
06-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Give you joy, Sir!

MajorDrums
06-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Congratulations! :D

Susan B
06-16-2007, 01:47 AM
congratulations, John! How exciting!

Susan

Claudia Gray
06-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Woohoo!

Pat~
06-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Way to go, John! :snoopy:

pollykahl
06-16-2007, 03:46 AM
As usual you continue to buck the odds! Congrats and may the glory continue to enfold you.

Sury
06-16-2007, 06:52 AM
That's awesome news. CONGRATULATIONS, John! :D

Sury

johnrobison
06-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Well, thank you for your support. I was at Crown's BEA kickoff dinner right before BEA opened, and Arsen was talking to me then, and he was very enthusiastic.

My experience with the world of publishing has certainly differed from what my reading and study had led me to expect.

The enthusiasm shown by people at all levels has been, well, just remarkable. Publishers, editors, sales reps, and now book retailers. And educators.

Kadea
06-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Can't wait to buy your book! Congratulations!

AmyBA
06-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Congratulations!

MelodyO
06-18-2007, 05:21 AM
Best wishes to you, John, and what a terrific cover on your book!

Chumplet
06-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Way to go, John! I feel so happy for you. I hope you can keep up with this celebrity whirlwind.

johnrobison
07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Look Me in the Eye is in this week's issue of Kirkus Reviews. You can see it online but you need a subscription to read the whole thing. I've posted it on my blog for those who want to read it.

http://jerobison.blogspot.com/

Shwebb
07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Such wonderful, wonderful news, John. Hooray for you! And thanks for keeping us posted with news.

johnrobison
07-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, here's the latest news on Look Me in the Eye . . .

Thorndike will be publishing a Large Print edition of my book in October.

The Times (over in London) will be serializing parts of my book in September. They say that's a big deal because the Times is England's paper of record, and it reaches several million readers worldwide in print and online editions.

And Library Journal will be publishing both a review of my book and an interview shortly - so stay tuned.

Twizzle
07-25-2007, 08:14 PM
:hooray: John, that's so incredible!!! congratulations!

MajorDrums
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the update, john! And again, CONGRATULATIONS!:D

Hillary
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Huge congrats John... This is all such amazing news, and you're such a class act guy. It couldn't happen to someone more deserving.

aruna
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
It feels like family!
Congratulations, John, and may this be just the start of great things to come!

CaroGirl
07-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Congratulations on all your success, John. Well deserved, and I can't wait to read your book!

All the best.

johnrobison
08-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Well, a week has passed, we sacrificed a goat beneath the full moon, and the Library Journal review and interview is online at www.libraryjournal.com .

I've posted the interview on my blog, here:

http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2007/08/conversation-with-library-journal.html

Some of their questions were, well, unusual.

Mom'sWrite
08-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Congratulations. What a great moment for you.

You want to hear something funny? I went to Amazon this morning looking for ORION's new book The Lottery and at the bottom of the page it said that her book and your book were better together. Did you guys plan that or was it serendipity?

Very cool either way.

johnrobison
08-02-2007, 06:40 AM
The Amazon system pairs my book and Lottery automotically based upon ordering patterns. Some might call that serendipity. It is neat. I do feel if you like my book, you'd like hers, and vice versa.

Mom'sWrite
08-02-2007, 06:47 AM
The Amazon system pairs my book and Lottery automotically based upon ordering patterns. Some might call that serendipity. It is neat. I do feel if you like my book, you'd like hers, and vice versa.

Looks like destiny to me. I'll just have to order them both!

Sakamonda
08-02-2007, 11:23 PM
I plan to purchase both of those books together myself! Now if I could just get my memoir paired with those two books when it becomes available for Amazon pre-ordering----now THAT would be serendipity!

johnrobison
08-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Jill, the pairing happens by one of two means:

First, if there is a pattern of buying two books together, the Amazon computers will see it and pick it up. So, for example, if 50 people ordered your book and my book on the same web visit, there is a good chance the computer would pair them automatically. If that resulted in people clicking "buy both" it would stay in place.

The second way books are paired is when publishers pay co-op money to pair specific title. For example, your publisher might pair your book with another Hazalden title.

So it's either controlled by market forces or publisher co-op money. In the case of Lottery and Look Me in the Eye - it's a market driven pairing.

Citizen Rob
08-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Mine got paired with some totally random music CD. I don't know if that will change once the book is actually released.

Sakamonda
08-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Yes, I figured it was a market-driven thing. Makes sense, since you and Orion frequently post here and on one another's blogs. I'm planning to read both your books based on that myself.

I know Hazelden does have pairings of its similar memoir titles on Amazon, so I'm willing to bet they'll do that with mine, too.

johnrobison
08-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Jill, I don't know how much a "better together" pairing really matters in terms of sales. I wouldn't read too much into it. It's one of many little things that sell books. Good reviews. Recommendations by library groups. Endoresement by organizations. They are all worth a look.

michelle25
08-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Congrats John - I just read the LibraryJournal interview. I read your brother's memoirs too but never made the connection of your relation til I saw your blog (sorry if I've been living under a rock!) I'm eager to read yours when it comes out - way to go :)

calamity
08-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Fantastic news, John! I look forward to reading it.

johnrobison
08-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Well, Look Me in the Eye appears in Publisher's Weekly again this week:

Crown - Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's (Sept., $25.95) by John Elder Robison, foreword by Augusten Burroughs, describes the author's struggle with this high-functioning form of autism.

250,000 first printing.

That's a lot of books to sell by Christmas. We're also going to press in Australia at the same time. The Amazon.UK site will have all the international editions for sale.

Sakamonda
08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Awesome, John. I have placed my pre-order!

jdkiggins
08-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Congratulations, John! That is such wonderful news.

Kudra
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Congratulations John! To many more.

johnrobison
09-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I had the Today show here yesterday filming a segment on Look Me in the Eye. I've written a short essay on it at my blog here:

http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-shoot-network-tv-in-your-own.html

In addition, the hardcover books arrived today. Two and a half weeks till we're on sale!

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I'll be back in the states for Thanksgiving so I'll pick up a copy then. BIG Congratulations on all your success!

Jongfan
09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
John, very well done.
I've pre-ordered my copy, looking forward to reading it.

I'm going to give it a try to be in Brookline for your booksigning.. otherwise, I will catch you at UMass in November.

Hillary
09-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey John, I just wanted to add my "I'm so excited to get my hands on a copy of your book" comment to the hoards of others. I'm also excited about your Massachusetts appearances. I'm going to see if I can make it to Brookline in November, but it might have to be the December signing.

Many congratulations, and I'll be watching Weekend Today when we get an air date.

Renee Russell
09-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Awesome stuff John!!! Mega Congrats!!!

johnrobison
09-09-2007, 06:44 AM
The media train keeps rolling along. Yesterday I did an interview for People Magazine, which will run in 2 weeks. The Times of London's book magazine has their feature coming out this next week, I believe.

Both Pat Wood's Lottery and Look Me in the Eye are Booksense notables this month, too.

benbradley
09-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Well, Look Me in the Eye appears in Publisher's Weekly again this week:

Crown - Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's (Sept., $25.95) by John Elder Robison, foreword by Augusten Burroughs, describes the author's struggle with this high-functioning form of autism.

250,000 first printing.

That's a lot of books to sell by Christmas. We're also going to press in Australia at the same time. The Amazon.UK site will have all the international editions for sale.

The first printing is a quarter of a MILLION copies??? Wow! I can only wonder what percentage of titles get that many copies for the first printing. Perhaps I should read through a few issues of Publisher's Weekly to get a current idea of these things. I recall printing figures for many books (from years and decades ago, perhaps things have changed) of perhaps 5,000 or 20,000 copies for the first (and often only) printing. Looks like the publisher REALLY believes in your book! Congratulations once again, John.

kdnxdr
09-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I am so excited for you johnrobinson!

More than than, I'm excited for all the people you represent, including my son and grandson. I'm looking forward to giving a copy of your book to my 19 year old son for Christmas.

I believe your story will be an inspiration for him. He loves to work on cars, too!

kid

johnrobison
09-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Ben, it's true, my publisher really does believe in my book. And so, it seems, do all the interviewers who come to write about it and me. It's the most remarkable thing, really. The Today show's producer just wrote me to say she's really excited, and she thinks viewers are really going to connect with my story.

Just two more weeks to wait.

pollykahl
09-09-2007, 11:39 PM
I had lunch with John the other week and blogged about it on 8/31 and 9/1. http://victimologyblog.blogspot.com/ I thought we would talk about Asperger's and didn't plan to bring up my writing because I thought that might be a bit presumtuous, what with him being published and me not. However, after we talked about Asperger's he asked me about my memoir. His challenging questions helped me by forcing me to consider various aspects of the project such as my writing goals, and then he offered lots of good advice which really helped me focus. It was like attending an excellent writers workshop, only in a restaurant with a nice person who enjoys food as much as I do. He's a sweetie and deserves every bit of success he has earned.

johnrobison
09-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Polly, I'm glad you found our conversation helpful.

SHBueche
09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
John, et al. This is exciting news, I posted in another area of AW forum that I happened to read a review in People magazine. This is gonna be huge! I've already pre-ordered my book and I am waiting for it to arrive.

Prevostprincess
09-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of John’s book, LOOK ME IN THE EYE. Wonderful is too weak a word. Read it and you’ll understand why (as we’ve often discussed in these forums) his book deal happened to fast for him, and now it's already a bestseller before even being released!

What I love most about it (other than his stories which are both funny and heart-rending) is that his unique voice is strong and steady, throughout. He makes the reader really feel what he is going through, what it is like to be in his world – the world of an Aspergian. I can understand then, why this book will be so popular for families of Aspergians and Aspergians themselves. But, it will also touch anyone who has ever felt awkward, unloved or unwanted. In other words, we can all relate. And for that, thank you John. From the very first page, your book moved me in the way I always hope a book will, although few live up to that hope. This one’s a keeper.

johnrobison
09-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Doreen, I'm glad to hear it's a keeper.

Are you going to be able to come meet in person at the Tattered Cover?

And for the rest of you . . . come on out!

We've finished out first week as an Amazon bestseller, and sales are rising. Woof! You can get a sense of the action by typing "john elder robison" in quotes. That returned 800 hits two weeks ago, now it's 16,600

ChaosTitan
09-26-2007, 04:07 AM
I was flipping through the latest Entertainment Weekly a little while ago (September 28 issue with Hiro on the cover). I always check out their "Books" section first. I found a small review of a memoir with a very familiar cover, and I thought, "Dude! He's on AW!"

A- review, and a little red "EW PICK" seal! :D

melaniehoo
09-26-2007, 04:27 AM
I saw a banner ad on a gossip website today. You're everywhere! Huge congrats again - I can't wait to read it!

SHBueche
09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I can't wait to read my copy, it was pre-ordered and I believe it is on the way.

Sunnyside
09-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I said this in the Nonfiction forum, but I'll say it here, too: John, the youtube video of you and your brother--interviewing you while you're on the lawnrake--is pretty darn informative and entertaining. Good stuff.

C.bronco
09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Way to go! That's excellent!!!

johnrobison
09-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Those of you who watched the video . . . .my brother and I did my opening night reading at the B&N flagship store in Union Square in Manhattan. Had close to 1,000 people and B&N corporate filmed us for webcast on B&N.com.

You'll see it online next week. I'll post a link as soon as I have it. I'm pretty sure you'll see it on the page for my book:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780307395986&itm=1

Last night I was at R J Julia where I read for a very engaged crowd, many of whom were parents or educators. Tonight my reading at Brookline Booksmith is sponsored by the Asperger Association of New England ( www.aane.org )

pollykahl
09-29-2007, 04:53 AM
Hey John. The copy I bought at amazon.com finally came today, two days after I saw you at B&N. I'll have to get you to sign it next time around.

johnrobison
09-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Tomorrow morning, you'll be able to see me in lurid color, on Weekend Today.

pollykahl
09-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey John, did you see yourself on tv, and how was it?

johnrobison
10-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Here are some videos.

This is my first-ever book reading and signing, at B&N Union Square
http://media.barnesandnoble.com/index.jsp?fr_chl=dffcb6f80ab19f65d2e40ae1fb7a9dc44 9458c38&z=y&cds2Pid=17097&linkid=1018874

Here I am on Morning Blend, a midwest NBC talk show:
http://www.themorningblend.com/NewsArticle/tabid/1474/xmid/15000/Default.aspx

My blog has links to CBS news and some others

brokenfingers
10-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I just now noticed this thread and have to say:

You go, John Robison! :)

A hearty and sincere congratulations, sir. May this be the least of your successes.

rnning2wn
10-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I was at the doctor's office last week reading People magazine...turned the page and there you are, John on a full page spread with the cover of your book! (I know this is old news, but I didn't know!) I actually got teary-eyed and am so happy for you! It's strange how something like this forum can bring writers together. I began reading posts you wrote before you were published and here you are now -- a star shining for all of us to see! Thanks for all your inspiration and for sharing your experiences here on AW.

p.s. i ordered your book. can't w82 read it. i know it will inspire me and help me thru the pages of my own memoir.

johnrobison
10-11-2007, 03:17 PM
That's the good thing about People Magazine . . . it has a long life in places like waiting rooms. That was a great piece of publicity, for sure. They really liked the book.

rnning2wn
10-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Look Me In The Eye just arrived - about a week early and I can't tell you how thrilled it is to see it...knowing your face and who you are. I can't fathom what it must've felt like for you to see your name in print -- on a hard-back book?! Wow. I feel like it's mine! HA! So, I'll give feedback later; got 6 other books still coming that I'll be reviewing ;)