Two proposal requests -- each for a different book

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I'm not sure how to handle a situation that's come up with my agent. Here's the background (I apologize about the length):

For book idea #1, I signed with an agent and she sent proposals to 12 or so publishers. After that was unsuccessful, she said she would keep the book on her "available list." (I didn't like how passive that sounded, but it was better than nothing.)

Months later, I started on book idea #2. I thought this idea was far more marketable than idea #1, but my agent wasn't interested in taking it on. She said she'd help me with the contract if I could land a publisher on my own. (Another idea that didn't exactly sit well with me, though I do see the benefit here.)

More months go by. I don't hear anything from my agent, but I begin sending queries about book #2 directly to publishers.

So this week, I've had two requests: one from my agent for an updated proposal for book #1 (I guess there's been some interest), and one directly from a publisher for the proposal for book #2.

In my mind, book #2 is the top priority. It has a bigger audience, it's more practical, it's far more interesting, and it just makes more sense overall. In keeping with this thinking, I'm not really enthusiastic about updating and submitting a proposal for book #1. In fact, I sort of dread the idea of possibly getting an offer on that first book (as it would mean I would have to stop working on book #2 for a time, and I see this as a big opportunity cost).

So I'm wondering: How should I respond to my agent's request? Would I be an idiot not to just send the proposal for book #1, or should I tell her that I'd prefer to focus entirely on book #2 right now?

Any ideas or thoughts on how to handle this would be appreciated!

-Nancy

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
How much could you possibly "update" the proposal for book 1 when it's already written? Doesn't seem like that would take very much time. Sure, if the book get's accepted then you might have to do some changes, but wouldn't that be months away?

I say, freshen up the proposal to book 1 and forget about it. Let agent work on that and don't even involve her in book 2 until it's contract time. Isn't that what she aready told you to do?

Wouldn't it be great to have two books accepted by two different publishing houses at the same time! Huzzah!

Give you joy on your great good fortune, Madame!

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I would go ahead and take the opportunity to have the proposal for book 1 reviewed, even if it requires and week or two off the other book. Otherwise you are putting all your eggs in the one basket and all that. I think you are actually in a great situation here! Maybe concentrate on looking at it that way.

Good luck!

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Thanks for the advice, guys. I went ahead and sent out the proposal for book #2, and now I'll go back and do #1 now. :)