I'm not writing today

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
I have decided that I HAVE to get stuck into a massive pile of ironing. I have been working solidly ( free time when 2 year old in bed) for 2-3 weeks, and the ironing has suffered.

So I am going to put the writing down, digest the crits that I have been fortunate to have received and pick up again on Monday. But only if I can truly tear myself away. Just a minute, thats a good sentance, no wait, thats even better. Ummm how do I describe rain falling in detail?

Do I have a chance?

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!!! That was my goal for today, too - people coming for dinner tonight and I need a new table cloth, napkins and wine glasses. Kitchen floor needs to be done, stairs hoovered and - oh, a minor point - dinner needs to be prepared!!! And what am I doing? I'm HERE!!!!

Will power of gnat!

Symphony

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I have decided that I HAVE to get stuck into a massive pile of ironing. I have been working solidly ( free time when 2 year old in bed) for 2-3 weeks, and the ironing has suffered.

You could come round mine and clean the house if you like :D

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score

So I am going to put the writing down, digest the crits that I have been fortunate to have received and pick up again on Monday. But only if I can truly tear myself away. Just a minute, thats a good sentance, no wait, thats even better. Ummm how do I describe rain falling in detail?

Do I have a chance?

Don't feel bad about this, mum23. I'm pretty much the same way when it comes to keeping my own place clean. I can write, read, post on AW, and fix my meals, but you won't catch me cleaning house all that much these days. My place has really suffered because of this. I don't like to look into my kitchen sink, for instance, because of the stuff that has collected in the drain.

So just so you know, not finishing your housework is not so unusual as you might think ... especially for a writer.

Have a good day, and I wish you the very best in getting your work done today.

:)

ETA:

Plus, I usually take every Saturday off from my writing, to collect my thoughts and to rest my body. It's a little difficult resting that day, and I find it difficult to get back into the writing groove afterward. But my body sure appreciates the break.

So don't feel bad about taking a break from your writing today. You need it, so don't be condemning yourself for taking it.

:)

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is this "ironing" of which you speak?

Seriously, once we had kids, we didn't buy any clothing or linens that must be ironed. None. I've learned that 100% cotton can be smoothed enough if I yank it out of the dryer while it's still pretty wet but fairly warm, then hung on a plastic hanger. Linen is hopeless, so no linen here. Mr. Maryn's linen shirt, a gift, is going to last forever because he only gets to wear it once or twice a year, when one of us makes time to iron it.

Maryn, not pressed for time

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All this talk of ironing, vacuums, dust . . . I know not of which you speak.

But I do take weekends off from writing, religiously, because I have other hobbies, a house, a yard, pets, and a thing called "life". Writing is Monday - Friday, weekends are everything else.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
*sneaky tip below*

When I first started staying home, my husband assumed I would take over his ironing for him. Well, I hate to iron, and he has dress shirts to press and pants to crease EVERY DAY. So I did it. Very, very badly. I'd put crooked shoulder creases on his shirts and crease his pants from crotch to ankle bone (the outer one) and he finally said, "Forget it. I'll do my own ironing."

Now, if we're going out, he irons MY clothes. Mmmm...love.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
If it needs pressing, I send it out. If not, I hang it up out of the dryer. Hmmm....haven't sent anything out since the "good" tablecloth from last Thanksgiving (we did Xmas at relatives.) DH presses his own shirts if he wants them pressed, but usually he is in wash-and-wear & jeans. I send his 2 dress shirts out yearly, along with my one presentable dressy outfit.

But I sorta miss ironing pillowcases - I used to do it to relax, but now with just the one hand, an iron is a dangerous item for me to mess with. I loved those crisp pillowcases, though!

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Who was it who said 'the pram in the hall is the enemy of creativity'?

Bet he never had to do the ironing.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
*sneaky tip below*

When I first started staying home, my husband assumed I would take over his ironing for him. Well, I hate to iron, and he has dress shirts to press and pants to crease EVERY DAY. So I did it. Very, very badly. I'd put crooked shoulder creases on his shirts and crease his pants from crotch to ankle bone (the outer one) and he finally said, "Forget it. I'll do my own ironing."

Now, if we're going out, he irons MY clothes. Mmmm...love.

That's a sure way to get out of certain chores: do them very badly. ;) Pulling up my wife's flowers "by mistake" while weeding quickly gets me out of weeding duty. Go figure!

As for ironing, Maryn stole my line!

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
That's a sure way to get out of certain chores: do them very badly. ;) Pulling up my wife's flowers "by mistake" while weeding quickly gets me out of weeding duty. Go figure!

As for ironing, Maryn stole my line!

Are you my husband? He likes to spray Round-Up on everything, and so far has cut down several honeysuckle bushes, a hydrandea, and two dogwoods. When I asked him to trim back the confederate jasmine from the front porch, he killed it. Fair play, I suppose...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.