How do I know...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
if I have a concussion?

I cracked my head while playing with my son at the playground. I was pulling myself up onto a platform and didn't notice the crossbar over my head. I slammed the top of my head into it with all my weight behind it. (No fat jokes please, I'm not feeling particularly funny right now.) I didn't pass out, though things got a bit fuzzy but I did throw up about 20 seconds after I did it. I hit it so hard I jammed my neck and can barely turn my head because my neck is so stiff and sore now. I didn't cut it but there is a huge bar-shaped welt across the top of my head.

This happened about an hour ago and now I have such a bad headache I can hardly stand it. I don't even want to stand up because it makes me dizzy.

And I was having such a good day...bah! It's always something.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the nausea and headache are tell-tale signs, as are a desire to sleep (don't) and general disorientation.
The signs of concussion are not always well recognized. And because of that, teens may put themselves at risk for another injury. For example, players may return to a game before they should, or a skateboarder may get back on the board and continue skating, thinking nothing's wrong. That's a problem, because if the brain hasn't healed properly from a concussion and someone gets another brain injury (even if it's with less force), it can be serious.

Repeated injury to the brain can lead to swelling, and sometimes people develop long-term disabilities, or even die, as a result of serious head injuries. So it's really important to recognize and understand the signals of a concussion.

Although we may think of a concussion as someone losing consciousness (passing out), a person can have a concussion and never lose consciousness.

Symptoms of a concussion may include:

"seeing stars" and feeling dazed, dizzy, or lightheaded
memory loss, such as trouble remembering things that happened right before and after the injury
nausea or vomiting
headaches
blurred vision and sensitivity to light
slurred speech or saying things that don't make sense
difficulty concentrating, thinking, or making decisions
difficulty with coordination or balance (such as being unable to catch a ball or other easy tasks)
feeling anxious or irritable for no apparent reason
feeling overly tired

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/safety/first_aid/concussions.html

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check your eyes - do they dilate normally and equally?

what's the harm in going in to be checked? Better safe than dead, I say.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't pass out, though things got a bit fuzzy but I did throw up about 20 seconds after I did it. I hit it so hard I jammed my neck and can barely turn my head because my neck is so stiff and sore now. I didn't cut it but there is a huge bar-shaped welt across the top of my head.

This happened about an hour ago and now I have such a bad headache I can hardly stand it. I don't even want to stand up because it makes me dizzy.

Kristie, you should get this checked out. Years ago when my son fell down the stairs, I checked my baby book to see if I needed to take him to the ER. It said after someone hits their head--they need to be seen by a doctor only if they pass out, throw up or in the case of a child keep crying more than ten minutes.

Reaction score
The vomiting sent up a red flag to me. They always warn you to get yourself checked out after a head injury ESPECIALLY if you throw up. Please see a doctor. :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
If you threw up and are dizzy you might have at least a mild one; those are definitely classic symptoms.

I'll second the better safe than sorry/dead vote. I've had mild to medium ones that weren't a big deal, but you never know.

Hope you feel better!

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The vomiting sent up a red flag to me. They always warn you to get yourself checked out after a head injury ESPECIALLY if you throw up. Please see a doctor. :)
I'll second that. Don't wait. It's the brain swelling the does the damage. Go to the emergency room and let them do a scan.

Don't you work for 911?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
go to urgent care/ER. They will check you out. I had to go through some of the "check for concussion" stuff when I hit my head last week.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please make sure you get checked out, Kristie.

Now you have me all worried about you.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everybody, now's the time to loot and pillage at Kristie's house! C'mon, we've got to be out before she gets home. Bring a pillowcase for your haul...

Maryn, tiptoeing

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, get it checked out ASAP. The vomiting and dizziness don't sound good.

Edit - I just read W. Haskin's post on the signs of a concussion...

...or saying things that don't make sense
difficulty concentrating, thinking, or making decisions
difficulty with coordination or balance (such as being unable to catch a ball or other easy tasks)
feeling anxious or irritable for no apparent reason

You know, nobody would be able to tell if I had one or not?

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
You all are going to kill me but I didn't go to ER. I couldn't find anyone to watch my son while I went. There was no way on earth I was going to try taking a 2 1/2 year old to ER with me! So by the time my parents got home from work and I took Nick to their house so they could watch him, I was feeling better, so I decided I would probably live. I took an Aleve and a couple Excederin and the headache went away finally. I'm not dizzy, I ate dinner with no problems and I'm not sleepy anymore. The top of my noggin is a bit tender still but I'll live...and I think I'll wear a helmet at the playground next time. :)

Thanks for all the concern. I guess my head is even harder than I thought! :D

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Kristie - you have a concussion. Believe me, I've had seven in the past year and now have permanent damage. My short term memory is bad (I can't remember numbers at all), I have periods of time when I feel "fuzzy" and I also had to quit my job. It takes a while for the brain to heal. Take it easy, don't do a lot of lifting or any heavy work. You'll probably experience some headaches if you do.

You should at the very least make an appointment with your doctor and have him tell you you're ok. I experienced numb fingers the next week because I'd torn a disk in my neck and didn't know it. Take some precautions and make sure nothing as permanent. I didn't. Now I'm paying for it.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
dumb, dumb, dumbitty dumb!!! You should go get it checked out! At least have someone check your pupil response with a flashlight. Not to alarm you but there could be a slow bleeder in that grey matter...subdural hematomas are nothing to laugh about.
Google it for a good scare.
I played footie for 25 years and have had my share of knocked noggins.

You know your body and your capability for recovery...you know how hard you actually hit your head...only you can make the decision if this injury actually merits a trip to the ER. Listen to your gut - if your brain hurts, if you get dizzy or spew, don't be an Alexander (Dumbass ;) ) and go into hospital!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Jeez, Kristie, you sound like...um, lemme think...do you work for 911 :ROFL:

You can always tell ems types; so freakin' stubborn, they are ;)

If you received a call from someone, describing the same symptoms you have, what would you say, Kristie? Yup, that's what I thought :D

I'm an emt. You dispatch us, ding-dong!

At the very least, have someone wake you every few hours tonight. And if you won't do that, set your alarm for every few hours. Have a friend call you a couple of hours after you go to sleep. Or, have one of your co-workers call you tonight every couple of hours...that's the best idea. Then, if you need help, they can send someone over.

Maryn, you're so devious, I mean, clever :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am a MOM, so I have to agree. Get checked out or else I'm telling on you!!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Kristie, get it checked out, PLEASE. Concussions are not something to mess around with. Get it checked out.

I don't want to find out you've suffered worse because you didn't get it checked out.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers, Kristie.