PDA

View Full Version : Writing Snacks?

gem1122
06-14-2007, 07:34 PM
What are your favorite things to eat and drink while writing?

chips?
coffee?
chocolate?

Right now, I am eating Lay's Santa Fe Ranch potato chips. Spicy. I should eat a banana instead, but....

I also drink a lot of water.

Okay, back to work.

aadams73
06-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Coffee in the mornings, then Arizona diet green tea.

Um, that's about it really. I could sit here and snack all day if I let myself. :D

Dave.C.Robinson
06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
coffee-- morning noon and night

swvaughn
06-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Yeah, that. :D

Harper K
06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Water and coffee, mostly. They force you to take a break every so often!

Sometimes I'll have red wine if I'm still working on my glass from dinner. I'm a slow drinker, mostly on purpose.

I don't usually like to eat while writing -- I hate getting crumbs in the keyboard -- but I can occasionally be persuaded by Trader Joe's dark chocolate-covered pretzels.

DamaNegra
06-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Hmmm I usually have mate tea with me. Sometimes, when it is available, coke, because of the sugar. Hmmm, maybe cookies, but I really don't like to be eating while I write. Sometimes I smoke my narguila pipe, because it's the only thing I'm allowed to smoke at home and besides, it leaves a wonderful smell I don't mind having on interiors (I hate smoking cigarettes on interiors because of the smell).

Sassee
06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I've learned not to eat while I'm writing or gaming because I'll eat an entire bag of something without realizing it. But if I did have snacks, I would want something crunchy. Peanuts, pretzels, Cheerios, chips. Jerky also works because I can chew on it for a while.

I don't need an infusion of caffeine to keep me going. Mostly I just drink water.

sunna
06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Green & white tea, hot or iced depending on the season. Gallons of it.

Food - sometimes I'll have dinner in front of the computer, if it's not too messy and I'm really caught up in something. This can get annoying, though. Other than that I don't let myself snack while writing. It's bad enough that I do it while reading.

Calla Lily
06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Tea--hi-test. Caffeine is my friend.
Walnuts.
Pirouline hazelnut wafer cookies.
Apples.
More tea.

kristie911
06-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Chocolate chips. YUM! :)

And water.

WackAMole
06-14-2007, 08:13 PM

:Thumbs:

ChunkyC
06-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Orange Pekoe tea with milk and honey. I know I'm having a good session when it gets cold before I finish it. :)

DamaNegra
06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
During the really hot (40 degree celsuis) days I see coming up ahead... a seriously cold beer. Aaahhhh...

MidnightMuse
06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Rum.

JamieFord
06-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Usually nothing. I'll treat myself to a decaf mocha if I hit a milestone or something.

(Now all this talk of munchies is making me hungry...)

julief
06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't tend to eat or drink anything when writing. If I get hungry or thirsty, I take a break to address it. Even when I bring a drink next to my writing area, I tend to forget it's there.

RG570
06-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Cigarettes and Alberta Premium.

paprikapink
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Sugar Snap Peas -- you can buy em all washed and ready to crunch. For a long time I refused to buy them ("3$ for a bag of peas!?!") but then I thought of how much I would spend for a bag of potato chips or a package of cookies, and aren't I worth more than that?

BenPanced
06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
What are your favorite things to eat and drink while writing?

chips?
coffee?
chocolate?
Yes. I liek choklut meelk. My weekend ritual consists of making a pot of coffee in the morning and trying to tackle some writing. If I'm writing in the evening, I'll usually drink something with no caffeine ("No caffeine after 6 PM is not just a good idea. IT'S THE LAW"). Sometimes I'll have some small nibbly candy, like Life Savers, or some nuts of some sort.

Failing any of that, it's PHENTERMINE for me, baby!

glendalough
06-14-2007, 09:03 PM
What a funny question! I have a kind of mental need to drink I think it's Nestea Green Tea. I don't know why, but it's got to be there. I don't even particularly like it and I don't believe in luck. LOL

Food? Watermellon sprinkled with these mexican spices in a bottle...ohmygosh

PS "Funny" because it brought up my weird habit lol

gem1122
06-14-2007, 09:20 PM
What a funny question! I have a kind of mental need to drink I think it's Nestea Green Tea. I don't know why, but it's got to be there. I don't even particularly like it and I don't believe in luck. LOL

Food? Watermellon sprinkled with these mexican spices in a bottle...ohmygosh

PS "Funny" because it brought up my weird habit lol

My wife puts salt on watermelon. Yuk. ;)

Right now: diet coke w/lime and Snyder's honey mustard and onion pretzels. I've made a deal with myself: if I keep writing, I can keep eating.

Bartholomew
06-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Coffee, and the back end of whatever I happen to be writing with.

Jack Nog
06-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Rum.

Ah but what kind of rum.

I prefer Captain Morgan or the out of circulation Bacardi Spice. I found four bottles in a pharmacy in St. Thomas a few years back, and bring them out for special occasions. Like my parents or in-laws showing up. Rejection parties are also good.

Other than that...COFFEE.

DamaNegra
06-14-2007, 09:43 PM
My wife puts salt on watermelon. Yuk. ;)

Watermelon is delicious with salt and lemon juice!! :D Or lime juice, you guys get everything mixed up. Whichever's the small green one.

reenkam
06-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't usually eat or drink anything when writing....but when I do it's something like twizzlers cause you can chew and chew and chew and it's still in your mouth, letting you keep typing.

damanegra: if it's green it's a lime. though lemon's might be green at some point....hm

gem1122
06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Watermelon is delicious with salt and lemon juice!! :D Or lime juice, you guys get everything mixed up. Whichever's the small green one.

Curious: Is drinking a Corona with lime just a U.S. thing? Anyone ever have a Blue Moon with an orange slice? Weird, but tasty.

DamaNegra
06-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Well, the lime is the yellow one here, which is why I always get confused. Sheesh, you're not happy with using your own illogical measurment system but you have to switch fruit names around?? Tsk tsk.

DamaNegra
06-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Curious: Is drinking a Corona with lime just a U.S. thing? Anyone ever have a Blue Moon with an orange slice? Weird, but tasty.

Er... are you talking about a michelada?? Beer with lemon and salt on the edges of the glass??

Besides, Corona isn't that good. For clear beers, I'd rather have a Sol. For dark beers, Leon or Victoria. I'm having Guiness right now, but it's not that good.

Anonymisty
06-14-2007, 10:24 PM
My wife puts salt on watermelon.

Is she from Georgia, by chance? All my Georgia relatives do this. I was an adult before I ever tasted watermelon without salt on it.

... Snyder's honey mustard and onion pretzels.

I love those! 'Course I have to run and brush my teeth right after, because they leave you with worse breath than Doritos do. :D

glendalough
06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
You soooo need to go to wallymart and get this stuff called :TAJIN: in the mexican section, or up by the guavas and such. It's dried chili peppers (not hot), salt, lime juice. I'm addicted to it! It's sooooo good.

My mom used to put salt on watermellon...bananas too. I don't know why her health is so bad....lol

:::checks salt intake, lol::::

Anonymisty
06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Ah but what kind of rum.

Cruzan Blackstrap Rum. I can sip it right out of the bottle. *sigh* I can't drink spiced rum - gives me hideous headaches.

Other than that...COFFEE.

Right there with you, darling. Coffee is always appropriate.

Jack Nog
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Cruzan Blackstrap Rum. I can sip it right out of the bottle. *sigh* I can't drink spiced rum - gives me hideous headaches.

Wine used to do that to me...I worked through it.

gem1122
06-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Is she from Georgia, by chance? All my Georgia relatives do this. I was an adult before I ever tasted watermelon without salt on it.

No, but she traveled a lot as a kid. She picked up all sorts of strange (but endearing) habits.

I love those! 'Course I have to run and brush my teeth right after, because they leave you with worse breath than Doritos do. :D

So that's why she's running away from me? ;)

TsukiRyoko
06-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Lots of coffee, tea, and cigarettes. As for solid foods, I just scarf down whatever's closest and takes the least assembly.

Calla Lily
06-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Also, during long afternoon sessions: wasabi peas and Diet Pepsi.

Wasabi Rules.

TsukiRyoko
06-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Also, during long afternoon sessions: wasabi peas and Diet Pepsi.

Wasabi Rules.
Diet pop is wonderful, but I can't handle wasabi. It makes me want to rip my face off and beat the crap out of my little sister.

Calla Lily
06-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Diet pop is wonderful, but I can't handle wasabi. It makes me want to rip my face off and beat the crap out of my little sister.

:ROFL:

The best part of a handful of wasabi peas is the "brain freeze" moment. When all that horseradishy-ness hits your sinuses and you're SURE your eyes are going to explode.

One of the best food discoveries I made after moving to Buffalo was Beef of Weck. Sliced roast beef smothered in horseradish (the real stuff, not a wussy sauce) on a hard roll sprinkled with kosher salt and caraway seed.

So hungry now...

glendalough
06-14-2007, 11:03 PM
I love wasabi with sushi, that's about it. I think I tried those canned wasabi peas and don't recall much else about them.

TsukiRyoko
06-14-2007, 11:06 PM
:ROFL:

The best part of a handful of wasabi peas is the "brain freeze" moment. When all that horseradishy-ness hits your sinuses and you're SURE your eyes are going to explode.

One of the best food discoveries I made after moving to Buffalo was Beef of Weck. Sliced roast beef smothered in horseradish (the real stuff, not a wussy sauce) on a hard roll sprinkled with kosher salt and caraway seed.

So hungry now...
Sounds like something that would put me on a rampage. For some reason, horseradish doesn't bother my senses too much, it just makes me unbelievably angry. The first time I tried wasabi, I punched the waiter.

Calla Lily
06-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a great scene for a book.

I tried Vietnamese chili sauce once. I could've used that heat to save several hundred dollars on my natural gas bill last winter. I like heat--but with flavor.

Since I live where I do, I'm pretty up on hot sauces. Lots of restaurants sell "suicide wings," but they're all heat, no taste. We have a couple local joints that make great hot wings. (Yes, the Anchor Bar is one.)

Too bad wings are one food you can't eat while writing!

Soccer Mom
06-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Coffee and chocolate. I'm addicted to chocolate Teddy Grahams. I can down a whole box if I'm not careful.

gem1122
06-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Coffee and chocolate. I'm addicted to chocolate Teddy Grahams. I can down a whole box if I'm not careful.

Yeah! I never tried them, then stole some from my kids and realized they taste just like Oreos!

Mud Dauber
06-14-2007, 11:37 PM

Don't know about the Corona/U.S. thing, but yes--Blue Moon with an orange slice is surprisingly good. I just can't have more than one b/c it becomes a little too tasty. If I'm drinking for the long haul, lol, it's gotta be Miller Lite. Mind you, NOT while I'm writing.;) For that, I usually have coffee or iced tea. I don't like a greasy keyboard, so if I need to snack on food, it's usually black licorice or Good N Plenty.:D

Soccer Mom
06-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah! I never tried them, then stole some from my kids and realized they taste just like Oreos!

And they're so little. Betch can't eat just one....or just twenty.

jhtatroe
06-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Mmm, some of you have already hit on a lot of my favorites - wasabi peas, coffee, tea, and black licorice.

I also like nibbling on pieces of super dark chocolate, munching on a handful of nuts, and I LOVE those white cheddar Cheez-its.

Shady Lane
06-15-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm partial to...pizza, apple juice, milk, Italian club sandwiches. Strawberry daquiris, when I can get them. The milk is pretty crucial, though.

wordmonkey
06-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Peanut m&m's.

Carefully crunch the shell off. Suck the chocolate away, then pass the nut to the monkey.

Sean D. Schaffer
06-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Four or five cups of coffee in the morning, every morning; and Crystal Light or tea during the day. Occasionally I'll get myself a Coca-Cola out of the machine down the hallway.

For food, usually I don't do anything unless it's meals. Sometimes, however, I'll go down to the candy machine and get a candy bar, usually a Snickers or a Three Musketeers. I like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups too, but I don't find them in our machine all that much.

And that's about that.

Cool thread.

:)

Lady Cat
06-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Coffee in the morning, bottled water during the day, Coke in the evening.

If I need a chewy snack it's twizzlers or gummi bears (or gummi snakes, or gummi tarantulas). If I'm craving a cruchy snack it's pretzels, bits 'n bites, or something else that's not too messy.

I tried a wasabi pea once - it sat on my tongue for about 3 seconds before I was able to spit it out so it wouldn't burn a hole through my tongue on its way down through my body. My tongue still hasn't forgiven me.

dub
06-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Bottled water most of the time, unless I am doing a Hemingway day, then I crawl into a bottle of the "Captain."

Sometimes I bring a munchy into the computer room, but not often. Chocolate is an exception.

Astro
06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
green apples are kinda boring but are the perfect, sweet ,minimal fuss snack for me. Of course I twist the stem round and round before I munch in. Did you ever play the game where you say the alphabet and wherever it snaps is the letter your true love's name starts with?
Well,I play it to find my future agent's name.
Oh, alcohol in copious amounts is high on the list for my 'research nights' (Fridays) so excuse my babbling post.