Is it worth going to the doctor's for this one?

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Ok, I went to an amazing show last night and obtained quite a few injuries, mostly bruises and cuts.

Regarding one injury, I managed to get my fingers slammed and stuck between a steel door and its metal door frame. The tips of my index finger and middle finger are bright red and purple (the nail's a freaky blue/black color), pretty swollen, and it's tingly, kind of numb, and a little painful. Also, there's a lot of pressure. Dad insists on taking me to the doctor's, but I don't think I need to go. I wouldn't mind going, but our money's a little...yeah....

It doesn't feel like anything's broken, and the swelling's already going down. Think we should go to the doctors, like Dad thinks, or should I be just fine without some doctor's assistance?

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
pleeeassse----- no way you need a doctor.

if you still have all of the fingers attached what's the difference.
in fact, i'd argue that having red and purple fingers could be an asset in today's world

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It sure wouldn't hurt to go see the doc.

Did you treat the swelling with ice? Swelling can cause tingling, numbness and pain. If you did I would go for sure.
At the show we didn't have any ice, but I did hold it under the ultra-cold water fountain for about 20 minutes (then managed to get it inflammed again in the mosh pit, dumbass me). At home, about 3 hours after it happened, I did hold ice on it for about an hour. The swelling's gone down a good bit, and I can even type a little with them (I've been using my ring finger).

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pleeeassse----- no way you need a doctor.

if you still have all of the fingers attached what's the difference.
in fact, i'd argue that having red and purple fingers could be an asset in today's world
Actually, I really don't see this as an injury worth going to the doctor's for. yes, it'd be good to check it out, but he'll end up charging us a buttload of money we don't have and give us a "Don't use the fingers for anything for a while, keep ice on it now and then, and keep an eye on it. Good bye". I'd rather eat this month than see a doctor for that advice.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Ya know, you're young and probably heal pretty quickly. But if you have damaged the nerves in your fingers, you may just have injured yourself badly and perhaps permanently.

1. Go to the doctor.
2. Stop this expensive, dangerous behaviour.
3. Cuts can leave you exposed to infection. A crowd can leave you exposed to serious infection. Bruises may heal, but over time they will heal more slowly and can cause some serious effects.

Right now, every time you injure yourself, you think it's going to heal up just fine. But later on, you'll wonder why your joints are painful, why you have lost feeling in your hands, why your body is falling apart, what happened to your hearing. Tsuki, you must have more respect for your body and take care of it better. This will be cheaper for everyone concerned, both now and later.

Okay, end of lecture. But yes, see the doc.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
3. Cuts can leave you exposed to infection. A crowd can leave you exposed to serious infection. Bruises may heal, but over time they will heal more slowly and can cause some serious effects.
It's not a cut. There's no opening- it's looks kind of like a bruise or a broken blood vessel, and it doesn't actually have an open wound.
Kate Thorton said:
Right now, every time you injure yourself, you think it's going to heal up just fine. But later on, you'll wonder why your joints are painful, why you have lost feeling in your hands, why your body is falling apart, what happened to your hearing. Tsuki, you must have more respect for your body and take care of it better. This will be cheaper for everyone concerned, both now and later.

Okay, end of lecture. But yes, see the doc.
Actually, I've had joint and back pain for quite a few years now. *blush* But I get what you're saying. It's just, I'm really worried about the money. We truly don't have that much, so I like to avoid going to the doctor's as much as possible.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Tsuki should be so lucky! I'd have here out in Southern California by the pool knocking out 500 words a day, then on healthy food and doing Pilates!
Can you be my surrogate mom? :D As long as I can have a Margarita while knocking out 500 words by the pool, the healthy food I already do and the Pilates... well... I hope my instructor looks like the guy in my profile. ;)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Tsuki? Doesn't your state have a CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program)? Pennsylvania does and many under age 20 qualify. Depending on your situation it is FREE or low cost.

Okay, I googled. Here it is for W VA: http://www.wvchip.org/eligible.shtml

Last edited:

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey, Tsuki? Doesn't your state have a CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program)? Pennsylvania does and anyone under age 20 qualifies. Depending on your situation it is FREE or low cost.

Okay, I googled. Here it is for W VA: http://www.wvchip.org/eligible.shtml
Thanks a lot for the link and information, but we wouldn't qualify. I think our income is too high to be eligible (I could be wrong). Under normal circumstances, we'd be able to pay, but my parents were divorced very recently and my whore of a mother left my Dad in an ocean of debt, hence our money problems. :(

Though, you never know, we might be able to weasel our way in....

Last edited:

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Tsuki, much as I find your exploits highly entertaining I've got to echo what others have said... you just gotta start taking better care of yourself. It's easy to laugh from afar, but if you were my daughter I'd be starting to worry myself sick.

In fact, feel free to consider yourself daughter #2 and come and join the "time to seriously address some stuff around here" theme that is currently underway in this household. We need you in one piecce on this board gal!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By law emergency rooms can't refuse service to a person and you can make payments but it's probably going to cost more than seeing a doc at an office. You may want to go to an urgent care or quick care where you can also make payments. Now, from what I've been told about my son's finger which was smashed by a baseball was that if it was crushed he'd be inconsolable or if there were nerve or tendon damage he'd be screaming in pain.

I think your good if it's not dislocated. If the pain is bareable with some pain relever then it's just a smashed finger. Probably no broken bones. If you smashed it that bad it would be deformed and you wouldn't be able to move any finger. Your finger nail may come off in about a week or later but as long as everything is in tact and it's not swolen real big and it's not completely numb, you should be fine. If the pain persists then you'll need to see a doctor. If the pain keeps getting better, then you're good.

Hope you get well soon. See if you can get a hold of some advil and take three every 6 hours and tylenol every 4 hours.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Hell, I'd report it to the owner of the venue in which the accident happened. If people can go to restaurants and get burned/fall down/run into doors and get their doc bills paid by their insurance company, I would think the liability insurance for the place putting on the show will pay.

And if they don't have any insurance. Well. They'd better pass the hat amongst the owners and get you taken care of. Otherwise, Kate, Terri, et al have good advice. Listen to 'em. (I guess I'll be the surrogate granny.)

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Kate, can you be my mom too? You're much better at this whole care thing. My mom was telling me I was lying about being sick after they had x-rayed my lungs and determined that yes, there was something wrong with me. Turns out I had pnemonia.

Which funny enough, I think I caught at a concert.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Hell, I'd report it to the owner of the venue in which the accident happened. If people can go to restaurants and get burned/fall down/run into doors and get their doc bills paid by their insurance company, I would think the liability insurance for the place putting on the show will pay.

And if they don't have any insurance. Well. They'd better pass the hat amongst the owners and get you taken care of. Otherwise, Kate, Terri, et al have good advice. Listen to 'em. (I guess I'll be the surrogate granny.)

If she was in the pit then they usually have it posted that they are not responsible for your safety in that thing.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Tsuki,

If the swelling is going down that's a good sign, but I'd still be worried that you've cracked a bone in there somewhere. Also, you may lose your fingernail for a while (it'll look horrible for a bit and just fall off, then regrow itself).

Be warned that not going to the doctor may have some consequences for you down the road. Leaving things untreated is not a good idea. (speaking from personal experience here!)

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should see a doctor because some of your bones could be splintered or broken, and they won't heal properly. You could end up with twisted fingers that are difficult to type with. once, I got the fingers of my left hand caught in an electronic garage door and I didn't go to the doctor. My baby finger is now all crooked. Fortunately I don't type on it much.

Ok, I went to an amazing show last night and obtained quite a few injuries, mostly bruises and cuts.

Regarding one injury, I managed to get my fingers slammed and stuck between a steel door and its metal door frame. The tips of my index finger and middle finger are bright red and purple (the nail's a freaky blue/black color), pretty swollen, and it's tingly, kind of numb, and a little painful. Also, there's a lot of pressure. Dad insists on taking me to the doctor's, but I don't think I need to go. I wouldn't mind going, but our money's a little...yeah....

It doesn't feel like anything's broken, and the swelling's already going down. Think we should go to the doctors, like Dad thinks, or should I be just fine without some doctor's assistance?

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
If the swelling and tingling continues tomorrow, if you have a change in temperature in your hand (feels cold or numb, turns blue)...go to the emergency room immediately. Compartment syndrome - while rare in the hand- is a distinct possibility. You may have fractured your fingers or your hand and SERIOUS complications can arise.
Don't be a dumb arse and mess with your health. I know money is tight, but this will cost a whole lot more if you wait too long. There might be a free clinic where you can go.

Take care of yourself! I used to think I was made of rubber when I was in my teens and early twenties. Now some mornings I can barely get out of bed because of all the creaks and groans...