A question of protocol...

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fine. A few agencies claim they pass the queries around, but I think you can even ignore that, esp. if a couple of months have passed. And it's a rare agency that logs your query--Prospect is one. I've gotten a request for a partial from second query to an agency, even a second query to an agent. Even a third!

Last edited:

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nathanbransford.blogspot.com
I think it's fine, but you might wait a month or two -- you don't know who is sharing assistants, and you don't want to be seen as querying indiscriminately, but taste varies greatly even within an agency.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Julie and Mr. B. Very helpful!

Quick follow-up: When re-querying, does one mention the fact that Colleague So-and-so has already declined? My instinct is no, but... wouldn't that seem a bit sneaky?

I would never say anything negative.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Julie and Mr. B. Very helpful!

Quick follow-up: When re-querying, does one mention the fact that Colleague So-and-so has already declined? My instinct is no, but... wouldn't that seem a bit sneaky?

No way I'd mention it. They might be in the same place, but they are entirely different people with different likes/dislikes. Just because one gave you the thumbs down, doesn't mean the other will.

Bonner

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mention your former efforts and results. If the second query results in a rejection, they won't know until the first letter comes up in their address book.
On the other hand, you can someday stand with your agent and foorah the one that rejected you. I understand that is considered good form.