How did you deal with this situation?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
One of my print-published friends was on a panel talk at a recent regional s.f. convention.

The other pros also had serious print-pub track records, but the gal next to my bud proudly declared she'd just published her first novel.

She got a wealth of smiling congratulations until the newbie said she'd placed it with PA.

Awkward silence followed, and then she announced, "Oh, I know allllll about them, so I'm now with a different publisher."

There was some cautious relief until she said that a (bottom of the barrel) e-house had agreed to "publish" her next TWENTY titles!

More awkward silence and this time the moderator succeeded in changing the topic. The oblivious writer hogged the panel whenever she could, BTW. (Few people are more expert about the craft of writing than those with just one notch on their keyboard, y'see.)

One of the other panelists later made it her business to inform the con committee to Google shiny new writers to make sure they were indeed qualified to be a guest. She gave them the 101 on the difference between a book publisher and a book mill, and that just because a writer says she's a pro don't make it so.

My friend--being a very nice person--kept her lip buttoned throughout the farce. She decided that no good would be served to humiliate the newbie with a big heapin' dish of truth.

Oh--this is a different incident from the one cited in this AW thread. In that case the better educated con-com was too busy laughing to reply right away to the would-be guest. (They turned her down.)

Anyone else have similar encounters at conferences, conventions or a store signing with PA "writers?"

What did you do?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've been looked down my nose by other writers at cons. Really just one in particular, I see her every year, and she's a loudmouth, she also hogs the panels she's on. I hate being on panels with her, because she's a PITA. She doesn't really think you're an author if you're not with a big NY house. Fortunately the other authors at the con didn't feel the same way.

I have run across an Archebooks author once or twice. But no PA authors at the big cons. Small festivals once in a while.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there is often an unspoken "pecking order" at some events, and the ones short on class and manners make themselves known pretty fast.

I had a panel with someone I'd never heard of before. I had 20 books in print and she had only the one, bless-her-heart-ain't-that-thweet?

However, I've been in the business long enough to be courteous and respectful to everyone.

Good thing. My co-panelist was Jacqueline Carey. Her solitary title at that time was still on the NYT best-seller list. (Which I never pay attention to, I was honestly clueless!)

BTW--she's a real nice gal!

icon11.gif

So, 20 mid-list books over an 18 year period is trumped by a single title NYT best-seller. When I keep my mouth shut I don't get my foot jammed in it so much.

This is one screwy business, but I still like it.

icon10.gif

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I dread the day I come upon an enthusiastic new PA author. I suppose I'll just smile and say nothing, or offer vague congrats for finishing a book.

Unless they get snotty about their "published" status versus my unpublished status. Then the claws come out. ;)

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I was at that same regional convention and would like to point out that I am NOT either writer mentioned in G's story. ;-)

I have sat on panels with vanity-pubbed authors (never a PA author as far as I'm aware) and I've kept my mouth shut about their choice of publisher. We've acknowledged here before that there are reasons to go that route, and it's just not nice to even think about opening my mouth to criticize without knowing why they made that decision. I might ask why, if that's in the scope of the panel, but I still wouldn't criticize. It's just rude. Besides, if I ask and keep my mouth shut I might learn something.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Besides, if I ask and keep my mouth shut I might learn something.

Which is a very positive way of dealing with the situation!

In the past, my old bull-inna-china-shop 'tude got me into many an embarrassing situation. (JulieB has been a firsthand witness to that!
icon10.gif
)

When I was the guest speaker at a writers' group they used me to thwap down one of their PA-pubbed members. She'd apparently been lording it over the rest, waving a copy of her PA trade paperback as proof that she was a pro. When someone asked if PA counted as a pro credit, I said loud and clear, "absolutely not, they're one of the worst scam operations out there," which effectively sliced her off at the knees. (They were really fed up with her.)

I feel rather badly about that and wasn't amused to have been manipulated into being their scythe, but it was the blunt truth.

These days I'm more like JulieB, getting more info about what's going on and who's got what placed where before I say anything.

Anyone have more positive ideas of how tackling deluded PA writers in public? In private?

Have you already done so?

What happened?

Last edited:

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't know. I'm not a published author (excluding the old PA fiasco,) so I don't have to worry about being invited to speak on a panel, or anywhere for that matter. I probably would have waited until she went to the washroom and the panel was over and then told the others not to feel bad, that PA is pulled the rug out from under her in public even though she deserved it.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Anyone have more positive ideas of how tackling deluded PA writers in public?

Probably saying nothing would be best, unless someone specifically asks about PA or is passing along erroneous information to newbie writers. Saying something to an author who's still ecstatic about PA will likely be construed as jealousy and fear of PA authors taking over the industry (because everyone knows that well-known, long-standing authors at big houses are positively terrified of PA's "success" rate.)

ETA: In other words, your friend and the moderator probably handled it the best way possible.

Last edited:

Merricat

Writing Workshop Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have more positive ideas of how tackling deluded PA writers in public? In private?

Have you already done so?

What happened?

A girl on a forum I post on was plugging her brother's book, which had been published by PA. I PMed her and said something along the lines of "There's some evidence that PublishAmerica doesn't report royalties honestly and is very difficult to work with. It might be in your brother's best interests to get out of his contract with them and find a different publisher. Here's some links, read them and make up your own mind."

And that seemed to go over well.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Actually, yes, I've encountered it. In our local area, there are several PA "pubbed" authors. Every time we attend a signing at our two local stores, they're invited. The thing is--one of them really IS a good writer. I bought one of his books as a niceness and he does terrifically rich and interesting regional mysteries set during WWII. But he's one of those that's happy with PA. He knows nothing about their bad reputation. He doesn't go to their boards, because he's older and doesn't go on the internet. The store gets his books without issue and he usually sells 15-20 copies every time we sign (versus our 3-4 copies). Mind you, he's lived in the area his whole life, is a church deacon and a former city councilman. He's got the "in" to sell books locally, and they really are good. Hard to argue with success.

I've held my tongue about PA, and just keep wishing him well. He likes his editor, is happy with the covers given him (which aren't too bad, really) and collects his royalty checks just like any other small press author. He doesn't want much more than what he has, and knows there isn't a national audience for his books, so there's really no point in bursting his bubble.

But in your case, the author believes she's more than she is. She believes the hype, and so (IMO) needs to be let down gracefully. Not in front of a crowd, but perhaps in the bar, or in an email after the event. What I've said before is:

"Y'know, you might want to consider having TWO publishers, just to protect yourself. Lots of the big authors do that. Here's some I've heard are really good."

Then provide a list. Hopefully, if she's bright, she'll figure out that the publisher she's looking at doesn't compare AT ALL to the ones you suggested, and she'll move all on her own. Or not. But in either event, you steered her right. :)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
What I've said before is:

"Y'know, you might want to consider having TWO publishers, just to protect yourself. Lots of the big authors do that. Here's some I've heard are really good."

Then provide a list. Hopefully, if she's bright, she'll figure out that the publisher she's looking at doesn't compare AT ALL to the ones you suggested, and she'll move all on her own. Or not. But in either event, you steered her right. :)

this should be on a business card we can all hand out...

what a great line!!!

:D

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, yes, I've encountered it. In our local area, there are several PA "pubbed" authors. Every time we attend a signing at our two local stores, they're invited. The thing is--one of them really IS a good writer. I bought one of his books as a niceness and he does terrifically rich and interesting regional mysteries set during WWII.

He might do better with a regional press that has the contacts to get his books regionally distributed.

And sometimes those niche regional books take off and turn into [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Blessing Way[/FONT] (Tony Hillerman's first Jim Chee book)

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
An easier way to deal with it is to say calmly that most PA authors have had problems with the company and have resorted to legal action--point them to these boards or tell them to google Preditors and Editors. Even give the names of agents or editors websites that state that a novel published with PA is not a recommendation.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, not in the rare air of a published author as of yet I should probably keep quiet about this, but I won't. I can only relate this to a situation where I was involved in a business meeting with what in essence is a know-it-all, which is what you describe here. The fact of the matter is that most know-it-alls don't know shit and can usually be quieted by hard facts. In this case I think your friend probably took the high road and it sounds like that may have been the best choice. When you're in a situation where you're speaking to a gathering from a panel it's not good to engage another panelist in front of the audience but a few well chosen comments about that person's qualifications might be justified at the end of the discussion. I know rambling bullshit. Sorry I'l try and do better...

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
When you're in a situation where you're speaking to a gathering from a panel it's not good to engage another panelist in front of the audience but a few well chosen comments about that person's qualifications might be justified at the end of the discussion.

In that kind of situation, politely ask for the source of their facts. If they hedge, ask again.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I ran into this situation. The author in question would hear nothing bad about PA. I politely pointed out that things had changed there since their book had been published, but it didn't even register. It was a sticky situation because the audience was mostly folks trying to get published. Sigh.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
My mother-in-law *published* with PA, despite me running up three flights of stairs to gasp out, "Wait a second! They're a scam!" after seeing their number pop up on the caller ID on the television screen. After she threw some dishes at my husband and I, she went ahead with her *publisher* and inflicted her book on every member of the family that Christmas except for us.

And may I just say how jealous I am Gillhoughy? I LOVE Jacqueline Carey's books. So jealous...so jealous...

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My only experience is in an organization that has nothing to do with writing. We often get newbies who think they know what's going on when it's clear they don't. Roaring them down in front of everyone never works, and taking them aside when the opportunity arises and explaining who we are and what we do usually produces better results. Some insist they are right, of course, but in any case we give people enough rope to hang themselves if they want. I stick to "They don't stay long if they don't belong," and although it can be disruptive until they catch on those who stick around make important contributions.

In your case sticking to the facts and continuing to do what works will be more convincing than anything else you can do. It sounds like it was handled pretty well.