Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanMuse

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susan-johnston.com
I'm working on a query and could use a few sources from around the country to use as examples. So tell me, what was the most meaningful gift anyone has ever given you? What made it special? Thanks!

Reaction score
My gran offered to pay for my desktop as "You'll need it, to be a writer." It meant a lot because she was a pensioner with meagre savings, and she had such faith in me. Shame she's no longer around. *sniff*. I said I couldn't take money off her so we agreed she'd match me pound for pound; we paid half each and I think she was proud of the fact I didn't take the money she offered and preferred to 'go halfies' with her.

My aunt also paid half my laptop, but she's minted, so it's loose change to her. :D

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
With all the gift cards and instant wrap gift bags available today I remember gifts that showed people put a little thought into it- they paid attention to my interests or hobbies a book by a favorite author or rare embroidery floss from another country. I make that same effort myself. On the other hand I remember one Christmas when my older CEO brother gave me a calculator
emblazoned with "Time Magazine". He has gotten gift cards since then....
Where's the thread where we rant against older brothers?

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
My ex and I were getting ready to move cross country together and he painted me a really cool table for xmas. It's a 1950's table and he painted it neon orange with white around the trim. He made pictures of things about us on there...like the ramen noodle guy cuz we'd be living cheap lol. it was very heartfelt and though we broke up 3 years ago i still treasure it. I always will.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
During our engagement, the DH traveled for work a lot. One long trip was several states away with many female co-workers. (I used to have a nasty jealous streak, and I remember gritting my teeth to subdue it so he wouldn't leave for a week remembering me as a nagging b****.)

When he returned, he handed me a little carved elephant, saying that it was to help me remember that it didn't matter who he traveled with, I was always the woman.

>sigh<

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
My dad (carpenter) made me this gorgeous little carved oak hopechest for a wedding present, and my mom (artist) painted the inside with symbols from a book on Wicca she got at the library. Plus they filed it with all these long-lost family photos of me and my sibs when we were kids, and stuff I'd written/drawn/made when I was in elementary school. I didn't even mist up during the ceremony, but I bawled my eyes out when they gave me that. I'm still living it down.

(Context: they're both Catholic, and our wedding was a handfasting, which sort of threw them for a loop - but that was their way of telling me they were ok with it. And - I hope! - with my husband. :D )

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
After my grandmother past away my dad gave me a couple of her things, gold heart lapel pin, the dish she had sitting on her dresser where she put her rings, and the cake pan shaped like a fish. :)

They were hers. I cherish them.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a charm bracelet for years. When my husband or family member gives me a meaningful charm for it, I'm touched. Every charm represents a special event in my life.
For one of our anniversaries, my husband gave me a charm in the shape of a lily, which was the flower he gave me on our first date.

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
Several years ago, a friend contacted me and told me he had a friend who loved Hemingway and, since he knew I did do, wanted a recommendation on my favorite book. I enthusiastically gave him several suggestions in a long email with the pros and cons of each one. A few weeks later, he presented me with a first edition of For Whom the Bell Tolls as a housewarming gift.

Also, I know every mom has one, but one of my most treasured possessions is the plaster handprint my son gave me this mother's day.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
The Christmas before I graduated from grad school, my mother, brother, and sister-in-law clubbed together to give me money to buy the spinning wheel I'd been wanting for years, as an early graduation present. I'd been a spinner for close to a decade but couldn't afford a wheel--I just used drop spindles.

*Looks fondly at the beautiful Kromski Symphony sitting next to her computer* Yup, I think I'll put a movie on tonight and spin up some mohair!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A BB gun while I was young . . . because I wasn't sure I was going to be allowed to have one just yet.

Also, flowers from a young lady. Guys don't get flowers very often.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
A few years back I thought it a good idea to make presents for my immediate family. I spent three months working 4-5 nights a week making half a dozen coffee tables and telephone tables. Man it was a labour of love and I was so excited at christmas when I presented them to everyone. I was so upset with the lack of gratitude shown by my family (except my sister, she still has hers). I remember my sister-in-law saying 'wow a coffee table...we have already got a coffee table'. Outside I smiled. Inside I was saying F*@# you.

Anyway the most precious gift I have ever received (two actually), my first son was born whilst I was in Iraq and the second I was there holding my wife's hand. I regret missing the birth of my oldest but am blessed to have two healthy boys. This to me is the greatest gift you can have -your children.

JJ

PS. They are Australian examples, so they may not fit into what you had in mind.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
While Ol' Boy and I love other people's children (as long as they're well-behaved and not germy), we never wanted any of our own. The greatest gift Ol' Boy gave me was his vasectomy. And the second greatest was the safe room. That was a big one here in the Heart of Tornado Central.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In case you can use some more examples:

When I was around 10 I mentioned Tolkien to a friend of my parents during a conversation about books. He seemed surprised that I knew of the books, and we got talking in general about the various things I was interested in. Later, he presented me with Yehudi Menuhin's autobiography, knowing I was learning to play the violin, with a very complimentary personal message to me inscribed inside. It was meaningful to me because an adult had listened to what I said and had taken me and my interests seriously, and had actively followed up on it.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
I can't remember...honestly I think it was something along the lines of my dad taking a entire day off to spend time with me, doing whatever I wanted to do. For my dad, who works like 70 hours a week, each week, that was huge.
We went roller-blading. He hated it. I had a blast.

If someone has sacrificed alot, put alot of thought into the gift, and gave you something you REALLY liked, and REALLY wanted, even if they think its junk--thats the best thing anyone could ever do. To me, anyway.

Last edited:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My Beloved gave me a rubber praying mantis on a bit of elastic, once,

God knows what that meant!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I once got a small plastic action figure of a Mexican Wrestler called Mr. Guatamala. He had been stuck in the front tuning slides of my section leader's sousaphone for the entire year, and has always brought the band good luck. Well now Mr. Guatamala is in my sousaphone and I hope he'll bring me good luck :D

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Wedding gift

A friend of mine -- not a close friend, mind you -- apologized that she couldn't come to my wedding because of the cost. But she gave me a wedding gift -- again apologizing, because it was handmade --

She had, in her best calligraphy, written the Chinese character for love (she is Chinese). She had stamped it with her "chop" (name), and then put it in a simple frame. All very simple -- black ink, white paper, red "chop" and thin black frame.

Simple, and beautiful. Beautiful because she had taken the time to think about the me, the marriage, the gift, and then taken the time to do it (perfectly -- I am sure the first draft wasn't the end of it).

The marriage, alas, is over -- but my appreciation for that particular gift lives on.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
After many years of college, my friends bought me pens with sayings, amongst other things, as a graduation gift; “XXXX Author”; “Kudos to You!!!”; “Congratulations”; “La Chica Se Llama”; and “XXX writes a Best Seller!!” As a writer, how can I not love this gift? It is meaningful because they put thought into it and it showed how much they cared about me.

Another meaningful gift was a sewn picture from my sister that said, “My Sister, My Friend”. It is meaningful because she made it and the saying alone is touching.

Another one I forgot. I received an AW auction gift from an AW member. It was so unexpected that it touched me to think that someone thought of me. I have it sitting on a ledge in my living room. When I write, I think of the person and know I’m in the company of someone special.

Last edited:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with what Feathers said. The best gifts are those that say "I know you". Not every little girl likes Barbie and not every big girl likes jewelry.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I know this is an old thread and you're probably not looking for ideas any more but just in case...

I recently moved to the US from the UK and my normally not very imaginative nor demonstrative brother bought me a digital photo frame and gave me a memory card full of photos of our family and our home. It was incredibly special because it's so unlike him to do something so thoughtful.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
How could I have missed this thread? I want to contribute too, because reading all of these has made me feel so warm and fuzzy!

My mom is a medical assistant and when I was a kid she worked for some surgeons and saw a lot of very old and dying people. She got to know this one old man pretty well. At the time I was about 10 years old and I collected coins, although my collection consisted of some military coins my dad had from Vietnam and a few coins I scraped together the money to buy. Well, my mom told this guy about my hobby and it turned out that he was a coin collector. I don't know if he didn't have any kids or his kids weren't interested, but I guess he wanted to pass them on to someone who had a passion for it.

So every time he came in to see the doctor my mom worked for, he would bring a little old tobacco pouch full of coins. All sorts of coins, from old US coins to coins from around the world and also paper money from all different countries.

I can't even express the delight those little pouches filled me with every time my mom came home bearing one. Sorting through each little silver piece was like being transported to another world. I never met the man who gave them to me, and I am sure he is long dead by now. But I still have those coins and I will treasure them for as long as I live. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.