06-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Stig of the Dump
The Voyage of QV66

And the greatest childhood book...

The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tyler

Yours?

glendalough
06-13-2007, 02:58 PM
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles (my all time fave!)
Charlotte's Web
Lion, Witch, Wardrobe
Trumpet of the Swan

seun
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM

You just made that one up :)

aadams73
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
The Faraway Tree books(Enid Blyton)
The Wishing Chair books
The Twits (Anything Roald Dahl wrote, really.)
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe(and all subsequent books)
Under the Mountain(by a really fab NZ author whose name I forget)

sunna
06-13-2007, 03:33 PM
All of Shel Silverstein's stuff
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
The Velveteen Rabbit
also anything by Roald Dahl - his Little Red Riding Hood poem especially!
Gwinna by Barbara Helen Berger

spike
06-13-2007, 03:49 PM
As a small child, "The Little Rabbit who wanted Red Wings", "Are you my Mother?"

And I was in love with the Honey Bunch series, even though they were written a good 50 years before I was born.

Saanen
06-13-2007, 03:50 PM
The War for the Lot--gosh, I hadn't thought of that in years, and it just popped up
Monster Maker (I have a copy at home, but unfortunately I can't remember the author)
Edward Eager's books, particularly Half Magic
the Wizard of Oz books
anything by Marguerite Henry, Sam Savitt, or Jean Slaughter Doty
Monica Dickens' World's End books
Danger in the Everglades--terrible book, but I loved it!

I think it's time to hit alibris....

ChaosTitan
06-13-2007, 04:44 PM
The Witches by Roald Dahl
Six Grade Secrets by Lois Sachar
A Rat's Tale by Tor Seidler
Foxy by Helen Griffith
The Borrowers by Mary Norton
Fudge by Charlotte Towner Graeber
everything Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume ever wrote

MidnightMuse
06-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Where the Wild Things Are.

Maryn
06-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I feel so... old. Many of these childhood favorite were written by people younger than me. What are you all, young teenagers?

Maryn, seeing the truth of the old 'time flies' saw

scarletpeaches
06-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Are we talking TV shows as well?

But books...The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Twits; George's Marvellous Medicine; The St Clare's and Mallory Towers books by Enid Blyton...oh, so many.

Shady Lane
06-13-2007, 07:26 PM

I love Whangdoodles!

Okay...mine:

The Saffy's Angel series
Anything with Charlie Brown
Holes by Louis Sachar
Sideways Stories From Wayside School (and all the sequels...) by Louis Sachar
The Witches by Roald Dahl

glendalough
06-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Shady! No way! No one knows that book! I can't believe it! You should all know it was written by Julie Andrews....a GREAT book. Especially to read out loud to your kids.

Jack Nog
06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Small, too small to keep attention on reading anything long:
Shel Silverstein - It's fun because I read this to my son now.
The Thirteen Bears in Summer and Winter(Or is that Winter and Summer...)

When I got older my mother started me on The Hobbit and I haven't looked back since. It was an old copy, but huge, with full page drawings. I can still see one of Gandalf at the top of a tree with lightning arcing off his staff. I read that book so many times, flipped through it so often that the binding fell off. I really regret that because I'd like to read it to my son.

Sean D. Schaffer
06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Nothing's Fair in Fourth Grade -- can't remember the author's name.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe -- C.S. Lewis
Voyage of the "Dawn Treader" -- C.S. Lewis
The Last Battle -- C.S. Lewis
The Horse and His Boy -- C.S. Lewis
Treasure Island -- Robert Louis Stevenson

swvaughn
06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
As a small child, "The Little Rabbit who wanted Red Wings", "Are you my Mother?"

And I was in love with the Honey Bunch series, even though they were written a good 50 years before I was born.

Wow! Someone else knows Honey Bunch!

I loved those books. Found a handful of them at a Salvation Army devoured them, and then kept a weather eye out for them for years and years...

Thanks for the memories. :)

Sophia
06-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Help, I'm a Prisoner in a Toothpaste Factory
The Magic Faraway Tree
The Secret Island
The Island of Adventure
All the St. Clare's, Mallory Towers, etc. boarding school books.
Basically, everything by Enid Blyton. :)

ETA: The Garden Gang. Loved 'em! And anything in that range of small hardbacked books that I think Ladybird produced.

sunna
06-13-2007, 07:57 PM
everything Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume ever wrote

Heh heh...ever read Judy Blume's Wifey?

I picked that up all unsuspecting a few years ago, and was so shocked I had to put it down for a few days after reading the first chapter. :D

mscelina
06-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaay too many to list because I still read most of these every once in a while.

All of Louisa may Alcott, Madeline l'Engle, CS Lewis, Lewis Carroll, Laura Ingalls Wilder (yes, I admit it) and LM Montgomery (admit that too)....but my favorite childhood books at the moment? Harry Potter. My second childhood counts. :D

Foinah
06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Speck the Brownie - self published by Elmay Crow
The Phantom Toll Booth
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and ensuing tales
All of the Raggedy Ann and Andy books
Anything by Roald Dahl, Shel Silverstein
Carrie - Stephen King ;)

Southern_girl29
06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Fudge and Super Fudge by Judy Blume
The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary
The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder (she actually made me want to be a writer)
The Betsy, Tacy and Tib Books by Maud Hart Lovelace
The Pinballs by Betsy Byars
The Secret Language by Ursula Nordstrom

Jack Nog
06-13-2007, 09:05 PM

I picked that up all unsuspecting a few years ago, and was so shocked I had to put it down for a few days after reading the first chapter. :D

No, but now you have my interest piqued, LOL.

Shady Lane
06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Shady! No way! No one knows that book! I can't believe it! You should all know it was written by Julie Andrews....a GREAT book. Especially to read out loud to your kids.

I know!! I was SHOCKED when I saw it was written by Julie Andrews. I just thought it was an amazing book...and then I looked at the back.

Possibly one of the best covers ever, too.

Toothpaste
06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Foinah, so glad you mentioned The Phantom Tollbooth, LOVED that one!

loiterer
06-13-2007, 11:33 PM
The ones about a kid called Alec and a genie in a beer can.
The ones about a boy called Midge and the little man Karlsson with a propellor in his back who lives on the roof.
The ones about two brothers called, I think, Hal and Joe, who went on all sorts of perilous exploration adventures into Africa and around the world.
In that vein, the Hardy Boys series, and The Three Investigators.

Yes, I am very bad with names and titles.

glendalough
06-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I know!! I was SHOCKED when I saw it was written by Julie Andrews. I just thought it was an amazing book...and then I looked at the back.

Possibly one of the best covers ever, too.
Oh, I totally agree! A great cover! I had it read to me in 4th by a teacher in training. She read it to the class. My mom went nuts finding me a copy and I still have it. Mary Poppins was a favorite movie for a long time then I realized my favorite kid book was written by Mary. LOL

Shady Lane
06-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Foinah, so glad you mentioned The Phantom Tollbooth, LOVED that one!

Ah, God, so did I!

Oh and also--The Man in the Ceiling and A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears, by a fantastic author who's name escapes me, though I think his first name starts with an J.

ChaosTitan
06-14-2007, 02:52 AM
:D

:ROFL: Let me rephrase: Anything Judy Blume ever wrote for kids. :D

ChaosTitan
06-14-2007, 02:53 AM
The Pinballs by Betsy Byars

You're the only person I know who's ever heard of this book! :D

janetbellinger
06-14-2007, 03:14 AM
I (blush) mostly read the Hurlbutt's Children's version of the Bible. We didn't have many books in the house.

Symphony
06-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Anything by Enid Blyton, with the exception of the Secret Seven books

Lewis Carroll

Uncle Boom La La (a book I've been trying to find again for YEARS and can't track down)

Christine Pullein-Thompson

A. A. Milne

Dr Seuss

Just-So Stories

James Herriot

sunna
06-14-2007, 04:36 AM
just remembered a few more...

Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain. Can't remember the author. I loved that book.
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Mildred Taylor
The Dark is Rising series, by Susan Cooper, which is apparently being made into a movie(s)
Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson
Into the Dream, William Sleator

Will Lavender
06-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Great thread.

James Howe's books: Bunnicula, Howliday Inn, The Celery Stalks at Midnight.

Beverly Cleary, obviously.

I don't know if I ever finished the novel, but I was flat-out fascinated with The Secret of Nimh when I was a kid. So strange, so wonderful.

sunna
06-14-2007, 04:42 AM
I don't know if I ever finished the novel, but I was flat-out fascinated with The Secret of Nimh when I was a kid. So strange, so wonderful.

Damn, I never knew there was a novel! Why did I never look that up? I watched the movie religiously as a kid. In fact - *blush* -I bought it a few months ago. I have yet to explain this to my husband in any way he can understand. :)

Now I'm gonna have to go buy the book...

Saanen
06-14-2007, 04:44 AM
The book is a lot better (of course), but much different.

If you like it, though, check out The Silver Crown by the same author. That was another of my favorites growing up. It's really eerie.

julief
06-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Alexander's No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day (I think that's the title, it's hard to remember the sequence)
Superfudge
A Wrinkle in Time series
Ramona Quimby
Little Women

Tons more that I can't remember at the moment. I've actually kept a whole stack of these and am impatiently waiting for a child to pass them onto. You know, infest them with that reading addiction.

ChaosTitan
06-14-2007, 06:40 AM

Damn, I never knew there was a novel! <snippage>

You have better luck searching for "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH," by Robert C. O'Brien. ;) Lovely book. I have an original copy and a movie tie-in copy with Nicodemus on the cover.

Sophia
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
I was flat-out fascinated with The Secret of Nimh when I was a kid. So strange, so wonderful.

Yes! I knew it as Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and absolutely loved it.

seun
06-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Anyone else read The Great Ghost Rescue?

mum23
06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
As a young child, I remember my mum reading The borrowers to me as a bedtime story. Also Little Black Sambo. Then when I was able to choose what to read, Enid Blyton's
Malory Towers
The Twins at St Claires
were always favourites as I really wanted my parents to send me to boarding school.

Then when my son was born and of book age, I liked to read him

Where the wild things are and
each peach Pear Plum.

sunna
06-14-2007, 03:32 PM
You have better luck searching for "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH," by Robert C. O'Brien. ;) Lovely book. I have an original copy and a movie tie-in copy with Nicodemus on the cover.

Aha! I got a bit turned around when I looked it up on Amazon last night. Thanks!

aka eraser
06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
That whole Dick & Jane series featuring their dog Spot and their cat Puff was dynamite. I couldn't get enough of seeing Spot run. Or seeing Puff run.

"Look Jane, look!"

Whew. It's all rushing back. I loved Grade One!!

paprikapink
06-14-2007, 07:02 PM
"The Lonely Doll" by Dare Wright
All the books about Miss Bianca and the Rescuers by Margery Sharp
"Mara, Daughter of the Nile" by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
The Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books by Betty MacDonald
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scot O'Dell
"Ishi, Last of His Tribe" by Theodora Kroeber

--wow I can't believe I'm remembering all these author's names.

ETA: "Go Dogs Go," by the guy who is not Dr. Suess, but their books look alike. He also wrote "Are You My Mother?" I think.

Lyra Jean
06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
"Little House" series - Laura Ingalls Wilder (she the reason I'm a writer)
"Anne of Green Gables" series - L.M. Montgomery
"The Martian Chronicles" - Ray Bradbury (why I love Mars)
"Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom" - Beth Hilgartner (I can't believe I found this one)
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH ( I have to get the movie and book again. They were beyond awesome.)

Symphony
06-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Alexander's No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day (I think that's the title, it's hard to remember the sequence)
Superfudge
A Wrinkle in Time series
Ramona Quimby
Little Women

Tons more that I can't remember at the moment. I've actually kept a whole stack of these and am impatiently waiting for a child to pass them onto. You know, infest them with that reading addiction.

Oooo - Don't wait! Just read them again for yourself! It's soul-destroying to see your childhood favourites tossed aside by today's children because they don't fit with today's expectations of what books should be about. The occasional few have stood the test of time, but not many, so don't get your hopes up. I've realised that I need to concentrate on making sure my kids find childhood favourites of their own that they'll treasure forever, regardless of what I think of them or whether they're 'classics' or not.

(I still keep trying, though - secretly!!! lol)

Symphony

seun
06-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Oooo - Don't wait! Just read them again for yourself! It's soul-destroying to see your childhood favourites tossed aside by today's children because they don't fit with today's expectations of what books should be about.

My brother's eldest daughter (think she's 13) started to read The Dark Is Rising books on his recommendation. Apparently, she made it through the first 30 pages before giving up.

Bloody kids.

Nyna
06-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Man, I love kids books. I still read them.

My all time favorite: The Last of The Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Edwards (Andrews). I kind of can't believe that more people haven't read this book -- as has been said, it was all kinds of awesome.

Also: Ella Enchanted, Levine
The Daydreamer, McEwan
My Family and Other Animals, Durrell
The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint Exupery
A Little Princess, Burnett
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Wrede
The Dark Is Rising Sequence, Cooper
The Search For Delicious, Babbit
...and any book that involved a favorite pet dying tragically.

Plus, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. (Actually, honestly, I couldn't get through this as a kid, but I tried again about, um, a year or two ago, and decided that it was a great book. See also: Dianna Wynne Jones, Diane Duane, Philip Pullman, and C.S. Lewis. I still go through the children's section of the bookstore looking for the awesome.) (I would have loved Duane, Jones, and Pullman as a kid, I just didn't discover them until recently. Possibly that's also true of some of the books on the above list, but I can't remember. And I wasn't allowed to read Lewis, due to my mother's irrational phobias.)

Last but certainly not least: The Phantom Tollbooth. I know people who reread this book once a year, and though I'm not one of them, I do understand the impulse. Talk about transcending a genre.

...That was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be, and I could certainly elaborate. But people probably don't care, so.

(...Where the Red Ferns Grow, Jacob Have I Loved, Walk Two Moons, Tuck Everlasting, The Gammage Cup, My Father's Dragon...)

Sean D. Schaffer
06-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Two more favorites I forgot all about in my previous post, but wanted to bring up here, are:

Sammy the Seal
Curious George Takes A Job

-- I don't remember either author's name.

Robin Bayne
06-17-2007, 02:56 AM
So many of the titles already mentioned, including Little Women, James and the Giant Peach, the Nancy Drew books, The Phantom Tollbooth, House of Stairs, the Little House Books. Another I recall titled "The Secret of the Talking Well."

Wonderful memories.

Mud Dauber
06-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Are You My Mother, P.D. Eastman
all of the lengthier Dr. Seuss books for older kids: Horton Hears a Who, Horton Hatches the Egg, The Lorax, etc.
The Little House books, Laura Ingalls Wilder
Beverly Cleary: Ribsy, Socks, Ramona

Frog and Toad series, Arnold Lobel

benbradley
06-17-2007, 04:09 AM
I did not read much (enough) fiction until I got to college.
Somewhere around age 7 to 10 I read these two and remember them very well:
"Rivets and Sprockets" by Alexander Key.
"The Rolling Stones" by Robert Heinlein, since renamed "Space Family Stone" because some rock group (or was it a music industry magazine?) usurped the name.

Heinlein was a great influence even though I didn't start reading the rest of his books until college. When reading Stones in college I didn't recognize the book as the one I had read at a much younger age util page 20-something where he talks about different modes of transportation through history, specifically automobiles and the internal combustion engine "with its pistons foolishly going back and forth." That was an interesting experience.

Around 12 I read James White's "Star Surgeon" which also helped hook me on SF, though again I didn't read SF widely until I got to college.

Going back a little younger I recall "Green Eggs and Ham" which has a "moral" I've always hated and found annoying due to parents and older siblings saying "Try This [food]"/I don't like it"/"Just try it." I try it and say "I STILL don't like it, and stop trying to make me try stuff."

stormie
06-17-2007, 04:41 AM
That whole Dick & Jane series featuring their dog Spot and their cat Puff was dynamite. I couldn't get enough of seeing Spot run. Or seeing Puff run.

"Look Jane, look!"

Whew. It's all rushing back. I loved Grade One!!
And when I was teaching, the principal was cleaning out an old storage closet filled with those books. I got one, only it was the Catholic version. The kid's names were John, Jean, and Judy instead of Dick, Jane, and Sally. Very exciting stories with plenty of plot twists.

akiwiguy
06-17-2007, 05:06 AM
In terms of my own children...

A really neat experience with my daughter was reading her a chapter a night of the whole set of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". I think it was perhaps instrumental in her becoming someone who absolutely devours books and who has always been a very good writer.

For toddlers nothing beats "Hairy Maclary". If anyone hasn't read those books to their children, seriously do. They'll love them.

Shady Lane
06-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Damn, I never knew there was a novel! Why did I never look that up? I watched the movie religiously as a kid. In fact - *blush* -I bought it a few months ago. I have yet to explain this to my husband in any way he can understand. :)

I LOVED that movie.

CoriSCapnSkip
06-17-2007, 11:55 AM
_Mystery of the Witches' Bridge_, by Barbee Oliver Carleton

Almost anything by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. _The Velvet Room_ is a classic.

JamieFord
06-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I loved The City of Gold and Lead (http://www.amazon.com/City-Gold-Lead-John-Christopher/dp/0689856660) by John Christopher. (Tripod series)

Also, Watership Down.

maestrowork
06-17-2007, 08:05 PM
As a very young child: Winnie the Pooh. As a boy: the abridged edition of Tom Sawyer. And by age 15 I think I read the entire Agatha Christie collection and the Hardy Boys.

Southern_girl29
06-18-2007, 11:04 PM
I remembered two more:

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
and
Dear Mr. Henshaw

I loved both of those.

Shady Lane
06-19-2007, 02:09 AM
I remembered two more:

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
and
Dear Mr. Henshaw

I loved both of those.

I just reread Basil E Frankweiler last month. Still good.

Robin Bayne
06-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Thought of another one today--"Escape to Witch Mountain." I loved that book!

chartreuse
06-19-2007, 11:38 PM
The Girl Who Owned a City (not sure of author)

There was also a series of books that I have only the vaguest memory of, although I absolutely loved them at the time. They were sort of kids/YA sci-fi, and I believe that they revolved around a boy named Danny. I think one had to do with a time machine and another with him being stranded on a desert island.

(I remember pathetically little from my childhood; I'm pretty sure I wasn't subjected to ritual sex abuse or anything so I'm not sure what the explanation is!)