Algae on an underwater body...ewww :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
So one of my mcs is murdered and ends up at the bottom of a pond. I've tried to look up articles on decomposition underwater, but all the articles cost $40 EACH?! Eek! Mainly what I'm looking for is how long it would take algae or pond scum to form. Sorry, I know this is gross. Any other details would be much appreciated...:e2fish:. Thanks!

sharra

Registered
Reaction score
this is pretty subjective & verry dependent on the enviroment of the pond. A lot will depend on the temperature of the water. If it's warm, any decomp will be a lot faster that in icy conditions. Also, if there are any forms of wildlife in the pond such as crabs or fish they'll feed on the corpse, and possibly on any algae.
Keep in mind that after 2 days in water most victims wouldn't be recognised by their own mothers, due to bloating.
There are some seriously nasty pictures available, some of them on the net. Wouldn't advise eating before viewing though.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question, Wordgypsy. My daughter did a lot of scientific research on creek and pond life and from her research my gut reaction is - it wouldn't. Why? In addition to algae, ponds are inhabited by scavengers (snails, catfish, turtles, even some of the water bugs ) who would feed on the body and strip it of its flesh. After a while decomposing bacteria would take over the cleaning process. But, algae might show up on shoes and other "harder" clothes items. In warm seasons there would be some by the end of a week. Enough to be definitely noticeable by the end of two weeks. Puma

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Thanks for responding. Let me give some more info. She's in a pond in their back yard. It's September and not too big a pond so the water would be warm. It would have typical animal life ie. fish turtles snails and whatnot. Any sites that you can point me towards would be great. I can't seem to find anything on the all amazing google. I'm sure the FBI is watching my searches lately lol!

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, we are.

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
well, with searches including how to poison someone without them suffering, how to correctly strangle someone, how to sink a dead body and the effects of underwater decomposition on a dead body I would HOPE so! At worst I figure these boards can be my alibi!! Can't kill people while I'm up to my nose in research (drowning in it, oh the irony!!)

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Thanks! Looking it over now! FYI...Don't do research on how marine life feeds off bodies before you go to Red Lobster to eat dinner. It makes for a. rather unpleasent imaginings while looking at your crab legs and b. no good answer available for when mom asks "What did you do today?" Somehow I knew she wouldn't want to hear! Lol. Made for a rather short, oh just putzed around type of answer when really I was VERY productive :D

Status
Not open for further replies.