Vampirey stuff in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm putting this in Roundtable because these days vampires aren't limited to horror - they can be found in romance, chicklit, YA, sci-fi, fantasy, you name it.

So. Just a general discussion. I've always been a fan of vampires in book and film. Like the chicklit genre, rumours of the demise of vampiric characters have been circulating for a while now but what say you?

I reckon if you can come up with a fresh angle, a new plot twist, vampires will live on (ho ho!) but there are a million cliches waiting to trip us up. The black leather, the innocent virgin victim, the brooding, angsty vampire guy...

Do you read vampire fiction? Do you think it's run its course? Any new authors appearing on the scene? What do you hate/love about the undead and vampire authors?

I mean those who write about the undead, not authors who are themselves of the...well, maybe...;)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Lindsay Sands puts a new twist on vampires, as do many other authors. Vampires are FINALLY shedding their traditional French accents and frou frou dress style. They're evolving, just like everyone else. Of note is also MaryJanice Davidson, although hers are more traditional, but still interesting. Charlaine Harris is pretty popular too. Those are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

I'm of the opinion that Vampire lit hasn't yet run its course, tho I have noticed werewolves and magic users are a bit more popular at the moment (or maybe I have this weird talent of picking out books that have more wolves than blood suckers?). Vampires represent everything naughty, and every heroine needs something naughty or tempting, so I doubt they'll go completely out of style for a while.

Movies? Vampires are definitely in a "down" phase right now. The last vampire movie I remember showing in theatres was Queen of the Damned.

Am I writing about 'em? Yes! My current vampire is a minor character but he still lurks in the darkness, wooing unsuspecting college girls into giving him a little sustenance.

Would I read new vampire stories? Absolutely!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Sexy brooding vampires bore me. Suave sexy vampires annoy me. I want my vampires dripping with grave dirt, with the stench of rotten flesh and corruption hanging around them like stink on you-know what.

Like this guy:

nosferatu.jpg

Then, when the woman has to willingly spend the night with it in order to vanquish the creature, it means something.

Reaction score
Freda Warrington's books are great - I've read them countless times but I think her Charlotte and Karl books are out of print, at least in Britain.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Sexy brooding vampires bore me. Suave sexy vampires annoy me. I want my vampires dripping with grave dirt, with the stench of rotten flesh and corruption hanging around them like stink on you-know what.

Like this guy:

Then, when the woman has to willingly spend the night with it in order to vanquish the creature, it means something.

Have you read David J. Skal's The Horror Show?

Apparently Bram Stoker's widow tried for years to sue the makers of Nosferatu with no success. She was a notorious b-word; she fought biographers for years, forever really, and there's still no definitive of Stoker available.

Speaking of Stoker. Skal suggests that Dracula was such a leap in creativity for him -- an otherwise pitiful writer -- that some critics, including HP Lovecraft, have posited that the novel might be the work of someone else.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy a good vampire book. Notice I said GOOD. There are plenty of crappy ones out there. I like novels with a new twist on vampires, not just the same old cliches.

Just for the record, most of the vampire novels I read are paranormal suspense. Nothing like a 400 year old, sexy, brooding vampire... :)

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
Vampire threads suck :poke:

sorry, couldn't resist

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, one of my favorite vampire books is The Dracula Tape.

Tells the story of Bram Stokers Dracula from Draculas POV. He speaks the whole story onto a tape recorder. Really interesting twist on a great book.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Speaking of Stoker. Skal suggests that Dracula was such a leap in creativity for him -- an otherwise pitiful writer -- that some critics, including HP Lovecraft, have posited that the novel might be the work of someone else.
Or, just maybe, could it have been...NON FICTION!

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Someone needs to write a story about a "minor" vampire. Most times I hear about the resident leader, or if it's not a leader, it's the most powerful vampire in the area who should be a leader. Someone needs to write about the dorky punching bag of the vampire world. :)

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
Someone needs to write a story about a "minor" vampire. Most times I hear about the resident leader, or if it's not a leader, it's the most powerful vampire in the area who should be a leader. Someone needs to write about the dorky punching bag of the vampire world. :)

Thats not a bad idea. A friend of mine just finished proof reading a story of mine and asked when I was going to write a vampire story. Wanna sell that idea for a rep point? lol

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Movies? Vampires are definitely in a "down" phase right now. The last vampire movie I remember showing in theatres was Queen of the Damned.

You must have missed Underworld, Underworld: Evolution, Blade 1-3, Van Helsing, BloodRayne, and The Covenant. ;)

Although I don't know anyone who will admit to watching BloodRayne, because as I understand it, it's one of the worst movies ever.

Someone needs to write about the dorky punching bag of the vampire world. :)

Ha! That made me think of Harmony (Buffy/Angel), the most inept, dumb-blonde vampire ever.

vampHarmony.jpg

Personally, you can't turn around in Borders without falling over another new Vampire novel. The trick is to make yours stand out. Do something unique with the genre, trip me up. Make me go "I wish I'd thought of that!"

Paranormal in general is still booming, but it seems more agents are looking for that "different" take on it. Succubi are popular, as are other demons and fey. I think writers of vampire and werewolf fiction have to work a little bit harder to stand out now.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently Bram Stoker's widow tried for years to sue the makers of Nosferatu with no success. She was a notorious b-word; she fought biographers for years, forever really, and there's still no definitive of Stoker available.

Probably the widow's.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
I had an idea for a Vampire story a few months ago, but I had already given up wanting to write horror stories when I was in my twenties. I still think my idea was a good one though; I haven't seen it anywhere else so far.

Anyway, I used to really like reading Vampire stories when I was younger, they were so much better than the gawd-awful Christopher Lee films I used to see as a kid. Dracula, red-eyed, no personality and totally laughable... Then came along Lost boys, brilliant compared to the old vampire films!

I read The journal of Edwin Underhill by Peter Tonkin back in 1983, I loved that book, it showed the transformation of a person into a vampire. Best of all, I was on holiday in Devon at the time, this story was set in Exeter, just a few miles up the road lol. I also read They thirst by Robert R. McCammon in those days, that was another great book for its time. Over the last 10 years or so, there was Anne Rice, I like her writing and her stories, I've even read Interview with the vampire twice because I enjoyed it so much.

I don't think that vampires will ever really be out of fashion, as we all like to be scared a little in the dark and be thrilled by so-called dark forces.

Elodie

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was never in to vampire-ish stuff until I read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It's a YA book but the vampire-ness is not the main plot (not really).
The follow up book is called New Moon and I liked it even better than the first. The third in her collection is called Eclipse and will come out in August. I adore her characters and even went to the city where the book takes place- a tiny town called Forks in Washington.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Vamps rule. :D

Agent Nathan Bransford says vampires haven't gone out of style. I like to think of them as just another race... you know, Asian, African, Anglo-Saxon, Vampiric, Indian...

They prefer to be thought of that way as well. Vamps are people too.

You're prejudiced against vampires, aren't you? Admit it!

:D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Love, love, love ALL the Christopher Lee/Hammer Films Draculas. Own 'em all. He's so evil and alluring, in such a BAD way. :e2teeth:

Then there's Geraint Wyn Davies. >sigh< He could bite my neck any day. But his conscience wouldn't let him.

Anyone read F. Paul Wilson's Midnight Mass? Good novella, and (surprisingly) good expansion into a novel. Father Joe chews the scenery in such a delightful way after he's bitten. And the evil vamps are pure, disgusting, unremitting evil. Don't see the movie, it, well, sucked. No pun! It wasn't worth the celluloid.

Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series is fun and different. I liked the first 3 or 4--now they've lost vamp focus, IMO, and I haven't cared for the last 2. But I'll still read her newest when it comes out.

So, um, yeah, you can say I'll read/watch pretty much anything vamp.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I also enjoy a good vampire book, but I haven't found too many of them around lately (taking notes from this thread). MaryJanice Davidson highly entertains me, although the "plots" have become ever thinner with each new book so I won't buy them in hardcover.

I read the Sookie Stackhouse books when someone gives them to me, but don't go out of my way for them. It's unattractive to me as a reader to read repeatedly about some vampries cold skin under Sookie's hands. Ugh. Realistic, maybe. Desirable, no.

I tried Colleen Gleason's The Rest Falls Away, and found it challenged. There were some uncomfortable Buffy parallels and some stupid plot points, and lately I've had rather a low tolerance for stupid plot points.

Maggie Shayne has a great vampire series that's suffered in more recent books.

As more paranormals have been published, the pickings have slimmed out, but there's still mileage left the in genre, especially if an author can put a new approach to it.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
You must have missed Underworld, Underworld: Evolution, Blade 1-3, Van Helsing, BloodRayne, and The Covenant. ;)

I didn't miss Van Helsing...but I wish I had. Heh.

Ha! That made me think of Harmony (Buffy/Angel), the most inept, dumb-blonde vampire ever.

Her slap fight with Xander was a classic of the genre. :D

I'm waiting for a vampire who looks like Bill Gates and wears a pocket protector.

Dexter the Blood Sucking Accountant.

Bwah! Or IRS agent. When I was a teenager I remember reading a comic book wherein the MC was a Jewish vampire, with all the accompanying complications that entailed. I still remember how exciting the new twist on the old idea was, all these years later. There's a lesson in that, I believe.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I feel ashamed now... I own Underworld! But the Blade movies aren't recent, just the third one. I too had the misfortune to see BloodRayne. Maybe I didn't remember it because my subconscious was trying to block it. Haven't seen The Covenant. Is it good?

Jedi Dad - sure, you can use it. Good writers "borrow" and all that. I'll race you to a good plot! ;)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I liked Blade 1. Loved that special effect where the flying skeletons come out of the vamps' mouths. Besides, I like Stephen Dorff.

I made it through about 10 minutes of BloodRayne. Do I get a medal? :D

The novel Vampire$ was different and interesting, IMO. The movie from it (John Carpenter's Vampires), so-so. I have an immediate distrust of any movie title with the director's name as part of it. Call me cynical.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I do think their popularity will decline a little. It's crazy now that you can barely find a romance without a vampire in it. And they aren't fresh takes on the idea but the whole brooding, dark haired, fake accent cliche!

Status
Not open for further replies.