Sailing Ship Info Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a novel that takes place at sea in the 1750's aboard a Royal Navy ship of the line. I'm mindful of some advice I picked up on this board (probably Uncle Jim) that the three things writers get wrong are guns, horses and sailing ships. I know far more than I ever cared to know about the oar propelled navy cutters (port stroke of the cutter St. John, that's me) but not a lot about frigates or ships of the line of that era. Any suggestions of sites I could check out?

I can visualise the deck just fine. Movies like Pirates of the Caribean are fine for that but what were the below decks like? A ship of the line might have as many as 800 crew members so they must have been awfully crowded.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wikipedia? Actually you might try posting this in the ask the experts forum. I asked about guns and got tons of great answers.

Oh, also, does Jane's have that kind of info, or is that just for modern stuff?

zpeteman

Natural born...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thefiddlersgun.com
Try reading some Patrick O'Brien and if you live near the coast, find out when there might be some tall ships in town, they make the rounds quite a bit. Let them know what you are researching and they'll likely give you a tour. Those guys love to talk about their ships :)

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
This is the site of the Rose, which became the HMS Surprise when they filmed Master and Commander. It's a neat site because they have specs for the ship, as well as a lot of fun facts and links to a ton of other historically accurate ships.

http://www.tallshiprose.org/

Berry

Registered
Reaction score
This is the site of the Rose, which became the HMS Surprise when they filmed Master and Commander.

Rose/Surprise is currently docked at the San Diego Maritime Museum. While the outside is pretty authentic, belowdecks is not at all authentic, and is quite modern, including GPS and a diesel engine.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
There's a whole sub-genre of "captains of the Royal Navy" books out there in addition to the Hornblower stuff. Also, take a look at "Treasure Island" and "Moby Dick" (at least parts of it) for some interesting snapshots of life at sea. Not military, but the routines of sail-handling and the like are common to all larger vessels.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Try...

going down to the Genre writing section nearly at the bottom of this board. Look in Historical and we have resources about sailing ships there. There is a resources sticky at the top of the message board, but there are more resources about sailing ships on page 2 where there is a discussion about resources and you will find that I posted all the resources in sections, one of which is Sailing Ships.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure this is what you're looking for, but I found this book to be a fabulous resource: Nelson's Navy: The Ships, Men, and Organization, 1793-1815. Amazon carries it for a lot less than list price.

Status
Not open for further replies.