PDA

View Full Version : Why do (mostly) men spit?

writingirish
06-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi all, I am writing an article (hopefully an amusing one) on spitting. It is an age old question...why do men spit. Why do men and boys stand on a corner and spit. Why do they spit while walking. Why do they spit out their car windows. Why can't they just swallow like most of the rest of us who also have saliva to deal with. I am not talking about the spitting that occurs during sporting events (e.g., marathons, other high intensity work outs in which both men and women spit to clear their breathing). I am talking about casually standing on the sidewalk and spitting for no reason, over and over again. Is it considered tough and manly? Is it habit? Is it a way to get rid of germs? Is it sexual in some weird way? Most importantly, where do they learn this from and why is it acceptable? Same goes for professional sports players - baseball in particular, who spit a lot. Funny, when a camera is on a baseball player they tend to catch them spitting, but you never see tennis players or ballet dancers spit on camera and they too are working hard. Why is that? I want to know! Any insights or personal experiences appreciated. Thanks.

alleycat
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Baseball players used to chew tobacco, now they chew gum, which is one reason they spit more than a figure skater. Plus it's outside on grass, not inside or on a prepared field of some sort (such as a tennis court).

I think men just spit because they can and don't care if they're thought crude, while women do. Hell, guys scratch too. And let's not forget farting (while we're being classy). Most women I know would be embarassed to death if someone heard them farting; a guy would probably grin and crack a joke.

As far as I know, no man spits because it's sexual or to get rid of germs. It's probably partially just a habit too.

Puma
06-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Men (including baseball players) spit because they've been taught that's the manly thing to do. It's a gross, disgusting, annoying habit. Men don't have to spit. Athletes rarely have to spit. I played women's basketball in college - I don't remember a single gal ever spitting into a trash can during a game. My daughter is an ice skater - figure skater's don't spit (and figure skating is a much more grueling sport than a lot of the other ones.) Spitting, for whatever reason, is considered macho. I'd agree with alleycat that it goes back to tobacco chewing. I'm in a farming area and we used to have old codgers who'd have a wad in one of their cheeks and could spit a stream of tobacco juice five yards. These days there's no need for spitting and I think it's absolutely ridiculous when two suited executives meet outside and take turns spitting. Guess it's like the tomcats marking their territory. Yuck! Puma

Cav Guy
06-12-2007, 05:18 PM
There's plenty of women up here who chew tobacco and spit with the best of 'em.

Julie Worth
06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
They spit as a symbolic pissing contest. Here's an interesting news item: "A 43-year-old German man was taken to hospital in critical condition after he fell off a second storey balcony during a spitting contest with his 12-year-old son..."--Reuters

He was cheating by leaning over the rail.

III
06-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Uh, we spit because we've got a gross wad of phlem in our mouths and it would be stupid to swallow it. We pick our noses and flick it for the same reason.

Julie Worth
06-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Uh, we spit because we've got a gross wad of phlem in our mouths and it would be stupid to swallow it. We pick our noses and flick it for the same reason.

These are single men, apparently

scarletpeaches
06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Funny this subject should come up because when I was out yesterday I walked past a man who snorted through his nose, hawked something back in his throat then curled his tongue up to get a better line of flight for the monstrous greener he gobbed out onto the pavement.

There is just no need for it. It's nothing to do with chewing tobacco, which nobody does here anyway, it doesn't seem to be a British thing. It's just simple bad manners. I mean you wouldn't take a dump in the street, would you? No-one wants to see your body fluids.

It's utterly disgusting. Maybe it's a Dundee thing, this spitting for no reason. Even if the men here chewed baccy, they shouldn't do it at a time when they know they'll end up needing to spit in public. Or at least carry a handkerchief.

This is one lady who doesn't think it makes a man a 'real man'. It doesn't turn my head, it turns my stomach.

III
06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Funny this subject should come up because when I was out yesterday I walked past a man who snorted through his nose, hawked something back in his throat then curled his tongue up to get a better line of flight for the monstrous greener he gobbed out onto the pavement.

I'd never cobb a loogie on a public sidewalk. However, the other morning I opened my garage door and, since I had a cold, I hawked a big goober towards my front lawn on the way to the car. As I stepped out of the garage, I saw one of the neighbor girls standing wide-eyed in her front yard. She yelled "Ewwwwww Mithter Young! That'th grothhhh!"

MajorDrums
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't about the athletes who do it, but when I see a young guy just standing on the corner and spit, it looks like a nervous habit or compulsion. Especially when a girl walks past and the guy 'all of a sudden' needs to spit, and almost does so at her feet (yuck!) Like it's a "manly" way to bring down the nerves...and sometimes guys just like to gross girls out.

scarletpeaches
06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I sneezed in public once and being a lady, kept my mouth closed. Trouble is, I loogied up something that was a bit on the chewy side and in the spit/swallow debate (steady!) for once, spitting won out.

Trouble is, it came out looking like green silly putty. It hit a wall and sort of wobbled there before slithering the floor.

I was with my mother at the time. If I'd thought, I could have hawked it at her but I was too stunned at sneezing up such a hefty wad of lung butter.

scarletpeaches
06-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Fraid so, my lobstery chum. :D I'd be scared you were gonna hawk a loogie in my mouth. *pukes*

brianm
06-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I think it's upbringing. I was taught it was not polite to spit in public, although, when I was a wee lad in boarding school, we held spitting contests out of sight of the masters. Whoever spit the farthest, was the manliest.

I try not to spit in public, but I have allergies and there are times I have no alternative.

Some cultures, Asian in particular, spit and blow snot (one finger to a nostril, then blow hard) in public because they feel keeping it inside is unhealthy and carrying it about in a hanky is worse.

Please no one pm me that I am being racist or some other oddball thing. I lived in Thailand for seven years, witnessed it every day, and was told that was the reason Thai's and Asian cultures spit and blow snot in public.

MajorDrums
06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
I think also that some men spit voluntary *now* (manly) to keep from mistakenly spitting while talking to someone, perhaps a female, *later* (embarrassing).

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Hi all, I am writing an article (hopefully an amusing one) on spitting. It is an age old question...why do men spit. Why do men and boys stand on a corner and spit. Why do they spit while walking. Why do they spit out their car windows. Why can't they just swallow like most of the rest of us who also have saliva to deal with. I am not talking about the spitting that occurs during sporting events (e.g., marathons, other high intensity work outs in which both men and women spit to clear their breathing). I am talking about casually standing on the sidewalk and spitting for no reason, over and over again. Is it considered tough and manly? Is it habit? Is it a way to get rid of germs? Is it sexual in some weird way? Most importantly, where do they learn this from and why is it acceptable? Same goes for professional sports players - baseball in particular, who spit a lot. Funny, when a camera is on a baseball player they tend to catch them spitting, but you never see tennis players or ballet dancers spit on camera and they too are working hard. Why is that? I want to know! Any insights or personal experiences appreciated. Thanks.

The same reason boys play in dirt and we love bacon. It is in our DNA, we can't help it. We have these flaws on a genetic level.:D

alleycat
06-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Did someone say bacon? I have lettuce and tomato.

scarletpeaches
06-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I have bacon in my fridge at the moment. Party at my house!

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 12:32 AM
I have bacon in my fridge at the moment. Party at my house!

Is it BYOBacon?

scarletpeaches
06-13-2007, 12:33 AM
My, what a marvellous 2007 concept! BYOBacon parties! :D

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 12:38 AM
My, what a marvellous 2007 concept! BYOBacon parties! :D

YES ! :snoopy:

III
06-13-2007, 12:41 AM
A thread about spitting turned into a "BYOBacon" thread in just one page. It's hijackery I tell you! But I do loves me some bacon....

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Who doesn't love bacon?

I mean, besides the pigs

KingRat
06-13-2007, 01:07 AM
As a motorcyclist, I hate people who spit out their car windows. Once someone tossed out a cigarette butt and it flew back on me, hit me in the chest and singed my chest hair (some of them at least). I was really busy for the next few seconds.

P.S. I also hate people who pull livestock trailers and drive too close in front of me!

Plot Device
06-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Here's a correlary question:

True or False: Men are more likely to have big yucky wads of phlegm caught in the backs of their throats than women, and this happens to men more frequently than it does to women. If True: why? Please site scientific reasons.

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Men are generally more full of crap then women (generally). In order to keep us from releasing large loads of bull$h!t we build up a barrier of phelgm to hold the bull$h!t in.

Obviously in some men this does not work as they spew bull$h!t like crazy.

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Who doesn't love bacon?

I mean, besides the pigs

If a pig eats bacon is it canabalism or pigabalism?

job
06-13-2007, 01:33 AM
It's a cultural thingum.

Some cultures everybody spits -- men, women, children, little old grannies.
Some cultures nobody spits. Ever.

Some cultures it's gender based.
Some it's class based.
Some it's class and gender based.

Just custom.

III
06-13-2007, 01:35 AM
If a pig eats bacon is it canabalism or pigabalism?

What about if a cop eats bacon?

Plot Device
06-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Re: baseball players spitting while on the playing firld

I heard that when the very first pro ball field field with artificial turf was finally opened (maybe it was the Astrodome) the guys who maintained the field complained they were constantly finding brownish-black glops of spittle dried in crusty scabs all over the astroturf. They said that they needed to use paint scrapers to scrape it off, and this was destroying the astroturf. So after that, tobacco chewing was forbidden on that field. The players had to start chewing gum.

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 01:56 AM
What about if a cop eats bacon?

A cop wouldn't do that, unless it was a bacon flavor'd donut

Jedi Dad
06-13-2007, 06:30 AM
I was telling my wife of this thread and her first response was:

"Why isn't the question, why don't women spit?"

Everyday she reminds me why I married her.

writingirish
06-13-2007, 06:52 AM
I am laughing hysterically while reading all of your responses...everything from the pseudo-scientific ("men are more full of crap," and "its a sexual thing") to the descriptive (big yucky wads of phlegm, I loogied up something that was a bit on the chewy side, hefty wad of lung butter, cobb a loogie...). Oh my gosh, I think you all will help make my article a masterpiece.

Please, if you have any more insights, I hope you'll continue to share them. I don't think I've ever had quite as much fun hearing about the act of horking!

And, thank you all for being so graphic and creative...I love it!

scarletpeaches
06-13-2007, 06:54 AM
All I can say is, if men insist on spitting, they've got no right to complain about their womenfolk refusing to swallow.

Don Allen
06-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Why does this remind me of the Austin Power movies where Austin trys to establish the name of a young lady "spits" or "swallows" It has that ring to it...

WordGypsy
06-13-2007, 08:22 AM
All I can say is, if men insist on spitting, they've got no right to complain about their womenfolk refusing to swallow.

I'll second THAT! Especially if they're getting rid of the Bull$@!t in bodily fluids...hmm...guess that explains why us girls are such gossips...all that bull$h!tting has to go somewhere!

Cath
06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
**sigh**

Can we keep focused on the original question? Please?

glendalough
06-13-2007, 04:34 PM
If you were raised by spitters, you probably think it's part of being a man. I saw a doctor talk about how there is no reason for men needing to spit more than a woman (smoking and tobacco do produce lots more phlegm though) but men just think it's manly.

My dad spat and my brothers found it embarassing, so they don't spit. My cousin spits because his dad spat and they actually bonded over spitting. Plus, my cousin played baseball, where they learn that baseball players usually spit. Out of boredom, from chew, etc.

Some men just find it acceptable. I can't for the life of me see why, unless they were raised to think it was nothing wrong. It's vile and to ME says a lot about a person. lol

Jedi Dad
06-15-2007, 02:05 AM

I
am
so
not
going
there
:flag:

Jedi Dad
06-15-2007, 02:08 AM
I am laughing hysterically while reading all of your responses...everything from the pseudo-scientific ("men are more full of crap," and "its a sexual thing") to the descriptive (big yucky wads of phlegm, I loogied up something that was a bit on the chewy side, hefty wad of lung butter, cobb a loogie...). Oh my gosh, I think you all will help make my article a masterpiece.

Please, if you have any more insights, I hope you'll continue to share them. I don't think I've ever had quite as much fun hearing about the act of horking!

And, thank you all for being so graphic and creative...I love it!

Well since you insist:

Yesterday I had surgery on my nasal canal and my throat to correct various probelms with breathing and sleep apnea.

Since getting home I have dispenses numerous oddly shaped and/or colored things that one would never want to see come out of ones mouth.
:Shrug:

RobD7
06-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Gentlemen raised in the south are taught not to spit in the presence of a lady, especially your mother.

Silver King
06-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Hi all, I am writing an article (hopefully an amusing one) on spitting...
If you're concerned about using correct tenses for the story, you may want to visit the Grammar forum, where there's a discussion (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67217) going on about spit versus spat.

writingirish
06-15-2007, 05:11 AM
I appreciate the reminder that there is a correct term to use...sometimes we get so used to the way we always hear things said, that it is easy to forget...