Land Question

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, officially is would have been the Oregon Territory, but I'm sure just "Oregon" was used when people referred to the area. I think you'd be safe using either one or both in a story.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I think it would also depend on your usage. If they were talking about traveling there, they'd probably say Oregon Territory. If they were there physically, more likely to say Oregon. (Or not, you know your characters best ;) )

The nice thing about saying Oregon Territory is that it helps set your timeframe without someone having to say, "Hey, is it 1852 already?" or you having to say it in narrative somewhere along the line.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with Oregon Territory as well...unless you can find a contemporary nickname for the region that would allow for a timeframe reference (like calling Oklahoma "The Nations" prior to the late 1890s, for example). One good way to find these things is to check old newspapers (some of them have been microfilmed and can be requested through interlibrary loan, or you can contact a state historical society and see if they'll print/copy a few pages for you). That lets you see what the locals called their new home.