Ever seen a U.F.O ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
This Saturday I was lounging in my pool (Glendale, Arizona) when I noticed a strange flash of light in the sky. It was a very small circular metal looking object. It had to be pretty high as it kept going behind the clouds and back under them into view.

The UFO stopped and hovered a few times, it also made turns at angles that a plane just could not do. I was so happy that when I pointed it out my wife saw it as well or I would think I was mad. It flew around for about 30 minutes before I lost sight of it.

So, anyone else ever see a UFO? :D

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Area 51??

One of my friends thought her brother caught one on camera but then he confessed that he just took a really close up picture of the words AUX on the auxiliary channel on the TV.

In her defense, he woke her up in the middle of the night, well into sleeping, to confuse her with the picture.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My mother once saw a UFO. Except that she, unlike almost everyone else who saw them, actually knew what they were (becuase she works with the people who launches them). And they were...balloons with flares attached to them. Used to test observational radar and such. Or at least that's what she told me. Who knows...they might have been top secret US hovercraft being funded with a waylaid Nazi gold shipment, using technology stolen from Aliens that spray deadly good from their fingertips...

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
This Saturday I was lounging in my pool (Glendale, Arizona) when I noticed a strange flash of light in the sky. It was a very small circular metal looking object. It had to be pretty high as it kept going behind the clouds and back under them into view.

The UFO stopped and hovered a few times, it also made turns at angles that a plane just could not do. I was so happy that when I pointed it out my wife saw it as well or I would think I was mad. It flew around for about 30 minutes before I lost sight of it.

So, anyone else ever see a UFO? :D

Oh, I really don't care if there are aliens out there. Just as long as I don't have to do their taxes during tax season.

kim

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I once read a story where aliens showed up to ask why there wasn't a third season of Faulty Towers. Then, when they found out just how much mindless bureaucracy and filing there was here, they decided to stay.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I never seen one. But here's my take on the whole UFO scene. Only one of three explanations can be reached. Take your pick:

1) There are no aliens (at least not visintg Earth). And so every last sighting of a UFO or space ship or aliens is nothing but lies and/or hallucinations of deviant/crazy people.

2) There are no aliens (at least not visiting earth). And so every last sighting of a UFO or space ship or aliens is attributable to secret military technology that the US government is constantly testing unbeknownst to the rest of the world. And as it turns out, the alien-life-form controversy makes for a very convenient red herring/smoke screen for them to hide behind.

3) There really are aliens visiting Earth, these sightings are legitimate, and the government might or might not be invovled in contributing to all the secrecy via cover-ups and disinformation.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Actually, I once read a story where aliens showed up to ask why there wasn't a third season of Faulty Towers. Then, when they found out just how much mindless bureaucracy and filing there was here, they decided to stay.

If you see these aliens, would you be so kind as to send them to me? We could use some help at work. In fact, I could use some help around the house.

kim

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
When I lived in Spain in 1975, I was on the balcony looking out on the Bay of Palma late at night, when I saw a white light, like a little pin moving across the sky. I figured it was an airplane, but then it speeded up, zoomed westward, stopped suddenly, then went straight up and dropped behind the horizon. My sister saw it, too.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
We were driving home one evening on the road towards Builth Wells in Mid Wales, when we saw what looked like car headlights moving along a road on the other side of the river. The only trouble was, there was no road where we saw the 'headlights'.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I saw 4 of them in formation, in the middle of the day, with no clouds. They were seen by hundreds of people and were never explained, though a couple of the usual answers were offered.

I have no idea what they were, but they were not swamp gas, balloons, reflections, airplanes, or a host of other explanations. They looked solid and metalic. Beyond that, there was no detail to be seen, and I looked at them through a good set of binoculars.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Back when I was a kid, I used to go to summer camp on this freakin' hot mountin in eastern PA. One day - a clear, blue-skied, freakin' hot day, as I was hiking up to the mountain to get to the pool, I saw something flash silver against the sky.

It was there, it flashed, it was gone and I don't know if anyone else saw it and, until now, I've never mentiond it. I get enough weird looks as it is.

Dunno what it was, but it was kind of cool.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
I saw 4 of them in formation, in the middle of the day, with no clouds. They were seen by hundreds of people and were never explained, though a couple of the usual answers were offered.

I have no idea what they were, but they were not swamp gas, balloons, reflections, airplanes, or a host of other explanations. They looked solid and metalic. Beyond that, there was no detail to be seen, and I looked at them through a good set of binoculars.

Gary, how many years ago was this, where was it?

I'd love to see something "paranormal" one day, I desperately want to believe, I'm open minded, but I can't help being sceptical.

ANyway, how did your experience effect you? Do you now believe in extraterestial life? Have you fashioned an old microwave into a kind of personal transmitter with which you hope to contact the aliens . . . oh wait, that's one of my unwritten novel ideas.;)

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Gary, how many years ago was this, where was it?

I'd love to see something "paranormal" one day, I desperately want to believe, I'm open minded, but I can't help being sceptical.

ANyway, how did your experience effect you? Do you now believe in extraterestial life? Have you fashioned an old microwave into a kind of personal transmitter with which you hope to contact the aliens . . . oh wait, that's one of my unwritten novel ideas.;)

It was back in the mid-fifties, in North Dakota, and it didn't affect my life in any way except to have an interesting topic of conversation for a few days. My mother, father, sister, cousin, and a friend got to watch the UFOs for several minutes, so it wasn't just me. None of them went off the deep end about it either.

I don't know if intelligent life exists elsewhere. The universe is far too large to say its impossible, but our limited knowledge of technology would suggest that space travel outside our solar system isn't feasible.

I'm open minded, but I'm not working on the microwave, and my faith isn't threatened, nor do I fear the thought that something alive might be out there.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
I don't belive in aliens.
On that note, I have seen unidentified flying objects, mostly when I slept out on the trampoline in the summer.
The main example was one night, sometime around maybe 10-11 pm, when my brother and I had our sleeping bags out onto the afore-mentioned trampoline and were lying on our backs looking up at the stars. Two trees kinda framed our view of the sky, which was decently clear, with plenty of stars.
We'd just gotten to the point where you stop talking and start dozing when I realized something funny was happening. The stars were moving. All of them. By all, I mean about maybe a hundred or so that I could see. They moved slowly, steadily, so where you wouldn't think they were moving unless you had something stationary to measure them by. I pointed this out to my brother, and togethor we used the frame of tree branches to mark the star's movements--and after fifteen twenty minutes of watching, we had both agreed the stars were moving and it wasn't our imagination.
The wierd thing was it didn't stop. I ended up falling asleep beneath it. Never happened again, and of course, no one believed us.

Ronin1459

Registered
Reaction score
I never seen one. But here's my take on the whole UFO scene. Only one of three explanations can be reached. Take your pick:

1) There are no aliens (at least not visintg Earth). And so every last sighting of a UFO or space ship or aliens is nothing but lies and/or hallucinations of deviant/crazy people.

2) There are no aliens (at least not visiting earth). And so every last sighting of a UFO or space ship or aliens is attributable to secret military technology that the US government is constantly testing unbeknownst to the rest of the world. And as it turns out, the alien-life-form controversy makes for a very convenient red herring/smoke screen for them to hide behind.

3) There really are aliens visiting Earth, these sightings are legitimate, and the government might or might not be invovled in contributing to all the secrecy via cover-ups and disinformation.

Sorry, but as a philosopher I feel compelled to point out the false dichotomy (trichotomy?) here. If no aliens have visited earth, then it doesn't follow that either all UFO sightings are hallucinations or all sightings are of secret gov't aircraft. It would be far more probable that some sightings are hallucinations, some are secret technology, some are weather balloons, etc. On the other hand, even if aliens have visited earth, it doesn't follow that all sightings are legit; some could be legit and others still be hallucinations, etc, or they could all be hallucinations and we have yet to see the real aliens.

My point is, any given UFO sighting must be explained individualy with the hypothesis that best fits the facts of that one particular case. Explanations cannot be extrapolated to other sightings.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

There's a fourth possibility that's also popular with many. Sometimes in the future, ten years from now, or a thousand years from now, a form of time travel is discovered, and UFOs are really our own future scientists coming back, or possibly just looking back, to study the past.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
UFOs

I've seen three UFOs that were not planes, balloons, or birds. Have no idea what they were, though. I've also seen film of UFOs taken by the good old US military, and one film shot by a group of scientists. No planes or birds or balloons, and certainly no hallucinations, on the film.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
There's a fourth possibility that's also popular with many. Sometimes in the future, ten years from now, or a thousand years from now, a form of time travel is discovered, and UFOs are really our own future scientists coming back, or possibly just looking back, to study the past.

Actually India takes over the world a few years from now and so people are coming back for steak. The excitement gets the best of them though and they take all the wrong parts of the cow.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen three UFOs that were not planes, balloons, or birds. Have no idea what they were, though. I've also seen film of UFOs taken by the good old US military, and one film shot by a group of scientists. No planes or birds or balloons, and certainly no hallucinations, on the film.

If you can't identify it, then it's a weather balloon. :)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Sorry, but as a philosopher I feel compelled to point out the false dichotomy (trichotomy?) here. If no aliens have visited earth, then it doesn't follow that either all UFO sightings are hallucinations or all sightings are of secret gov't aircraft. It would be far more probable that some sightings are hallucinations, some are secret technology, some are weather balloons, etc. On the other hand, even if aliens have visited earth, it doesn't follow that all sightings are legit; some could be legit and others still be hallucinations, etc, or they could all be hallucinations and we have yet to see the real aliens.

My point is, any given UFO sighting must be explained individualy with the hypothesis that best fits the facts of that one particular case. Explanations cannot be extrapolated to other sightings.

Okay--I'll ammend as follows:

1) There are no aliens (at least not visiting Earth). And so every last sighting of a UFO or space ship or aliens is nothing but misperceptions of innocent people, hallucinations of crazy people, and/or lies from liars.

2) There are no aliens (at least not visiting earth). And so every last sighting of a UFO or space ship or aliens is ALL OF THE ABOVE, PLUS secret military technology that the US government is constantly testing unbeknownst to the rest of the world. And as it turns out, the alien-life-form controversy makes for a very convenient red herring/smoke screen for them to hide behind.

3) There really are aliens visiting Earth. And so every last sighting of a UFO or space ship or alien is ALL OF THE ABOVE, PLUS actual aliens. Meanwhile,the government might or might not be invovled in contributing to all the secrecy via cover-ups and disinformation.

And for Jamesaritchie:

4) They're all just time travellers from our own future.

Status
Not open for further replies.