Whooping Cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdlfreelance

Have you or your children had whooping cough recently? I am working on a query and would like to hear your experience. I am especially interested in adults or teens who got it although they had been vaccinated, or those who had a difficult time being diagnosed.

Thanks in advance for your email or pm!
D

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
My co-worker had it a few years ago. She said she was diagnosed with broncitus. m/s. Her husband was very upset b/c she sounded so horrible. He took her to the hsp and found out she had whooping cough. She was in the hsp for a few days. I can ask her tomorrow to give me more details if you need them. :) Oh, and she had been vaccinated as a child. Her doctor said the vaccinations those of us over 40 had when we were a child are wearing off. Oh, so is smallpox. YIKES!!!

kim

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I contracted it

from my boyfriend of the time, about 14 years ago. I was 21 at the time. It was misdiagnosed as asthma. My Mum was adamant that I couldn't have whooping cough, because I'd been immunised, even though blood tests showed it was so.

Interestingly, when I went through routine blood tests with my first pregnancy, 5 years later, I came up as not immune to rubella, although I had also been immunised against that. I was immunised again, after my son's birth, and was again not immune. The third time seems to have taken, though. Bizarre.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
My son had it a few years ago when he was only 3 or 4 years old. He woke up in the middle of the night and we heard him gasping in the other room. At first we thought it was an asthma attack, although he had never had asthma before. He kept gasping in shallow, loud breaths, but couldn't seem to catch his breath. We rushed him to the emergency room and they diagnosed him immediately with whooping cough. If memory serves, they gave him a shot (I'm not sure what was in it) and put him on a machine that blew mist into his nostrils. We had to take the machine home with us and give him meds for a few days and he was fine after that. It scared us to death, though, when he couldn't breathe.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My now six-year-old had it at three. My experience was similar to III (and incidentally I happen to live in Texas also. Curious.) He woke in the middle of the night with a horrible, gasping cough and I rushed him to the emergency room. I thought it was perhaps the onset of asthma. I have asthma and although he never had, he couldn't catch his breath. The cough is LOUD and it's a distinctive sound. Once you've heard it, you'll never forget it. I remember him being treated with antibiotics and steroids at the hospital. He had been immunized, but the hospital doc said it didn't always work. He's had the croup regularly too until this year. Otherwise, he's a healthy kid and hasn't had any long lasting effects.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I had it as a child, but that was . . . Well, it wasn't recent! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.