SOPRANOS goes out...

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
... with a pathetic wimper.

The worst series finale in the history of television.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Makes the Seinfeld finale seem like Hamlet. I honestly thought about ten minutes had been cut out.

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
What the???? At first I thought it was going to be something like a real life incident that happened in Charlestown, MA. But this? I thought my TV was broken.

Cassie

I can't get no, oh no no no.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cassiesperfectwordblog.typepad.com
I haven't seen the finale yet, but BF called and said that he and another spent 40 minute on the phone trying to figure out what happened.

Can't wait to watch and see for myself what all this non-buzz is about!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw: Wonder what writer thought that ending up? What a joke. I hope none of them ever find employment again. What a waste of air time.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'll never get that hour back. *sigh*

What an unbelievable load of dog crap(no offense to dog crap).

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good, actually.

David Chase was never going to provide any type of real closure; if you've been watching the show for years, you'd know that by now. So many loose ends through the years, why would he wrap everything up now?

Most of the carnage was in the 2nd-to-last episode. I think this was reasonably well handled. By contrast I think the Seinfeld finale was lazily written; this wasn't lazy. It made its point - we are who we are, regardless of how enlightened we wanna think we are (due to therapy or epiphanies about global warming/big oil yadda yadda), we still go back into our old habits, whether it's moaning about how our mothers f*cked up our lives or looking over plans for a new spec house, or some such.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
The episode summary is already up on HBO's website.

And if it really played out as it's written there, I can see the irritation. What ever happened to endings, happy or otherwise? Stories used to end, didn't they?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Life doesn't end until you die. Even then, no one knows if the Journey is over. Some believe it goes on and on and on.

I've read summaries on the ending (I'm not a fan, myself), and it really makes me think of the series finale for "Angel." Especially the final scene, where the Angel team prepares to battle a demon hoarde, and then cut to black.

I think "Oz" had a similar ending. Very open, very much "life goes on after the end credits roll." It's frustrating for viewers (I've been there), but on a storytelling level, it makes sense.

Sopranos/Angel/Oz are not shows that need a tidy end, because the story is about the characters, not their circumstances. On the other hand, a show like "Lost" needs that closure, because the show depends on the circumstances.

My $.04, anyway. :D

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
lol!

Well I had to go off and read the synopsis in the interim, and to be honest, I kind of like the ending. Not only is it "life goes on" thing, but it plays on all the expectations of what a big finale should be. With a show like that and all the speculation, everyone assumed a big death or something . . . I kind of liked what they did instead. Very meta-whatever.

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Some believe that the ending was the audience getting whacked.

To me, I do not like endings that are all conjecture. If life goes on, then end it that way.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did I need permission or something? Note the winking smiley at the end of the first line, indicating humourous intent. :)

You could also take note of the second line of my post, where I offered up my opinion that based on how the finale went, a movie would seem likely. That would be me agreeing with what Writer14 said earlier in the thread.

Last edited: