PDA

View Full Version : SOPRANOS goes out...

tourdeforce
06-11-2007, 06:34 AM
... with a pathetic wimper.

The worst series finale in the history of television.

popmuze
06-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Makes the Seinfeld finale seem like Hamlet. I honestly thought about ten minutes had been cut out.

Lisamer
06-11-2007, 09:04 AM
What the???? At first I thought it was going to be something like a real life incident that happened in Charlestown, MA. But this? I thought my TV was broken.

Cassie
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I haven't seen the finale yet, but BF called and said that he and another spent 40 minute on the phone trying to figure out what happened.

Can't wait to watch and see for myself what all this non-buzz is about!

dclary
06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
What? Did Jimmy Peanuts die?

MajorDrums
06-11-2007, 01:42 PM
That ending...it was like "the pull-out method."

CACTUSWENDY
06-11-2007, 01:57 PM
:Jaw: Wonder what writer thought that ending up? What a joke. I hope none of them ever find employment again. What a waste of air time.

aadams73
06-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I'll never get that hour back. *sigh*

What an unbelievable load of dog crap(no offense to dog crap).

TheGaffer
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
I thought it was pretty good, actually.

David Chase was never going to provide any type of real closure; if you've been watching the show for years, you'd know that by now. So many loose ends through the years, why would he wrap everything up now?

Most of the carnage was in the 2nd-to-last episode. I think this was reasonably well handled. By contrast I think the Seinfeld finale was lazily written; this wasn't lazy. It made its point - we are who we are, regardless of how enlightened we wanna think we are (due to therapy or epiphanies about global warming/big oil yadda yadda), we still go back into our old habits, whether it's moaning about how our mothers f*cked up our lives or looking over plans for a new spec house, or some such.

C.bronco
06-11-2007, 04:56 PM
It's too bad.
They filmed the gas station scene about 7 miles from my house- the traffic was crazy.

Toothpaste
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Anybody want to send me a PM and tell me what happened? I am super curious!

pconsidine
06-11-2007, 06:39 PM
The episode summary is already up on HBO's website.

And if it really played out as it's written there, I can see the irritation. What ever happened to endings, happy or otherwise? Stories used to end, didn't they?

Doug Johnson
06-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Stories used to end, didn't they?

Life doesn't end until you die. Even then, no one knows if the Journey is over. Some believe it goes on and on and on.

Writer14
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Word is: there's gonna be a movie.

=O

ChaosTitan
06-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Life doesn't end until you die. Even then, no one knows if the Journey is over. Some believe it goes on and on and on.

I've read summaries on the ending (I'm not a fan, myself), and it really makes me think of the series finale for "Angel." Especially the final scene, where the Angel team prepares to battle a demon hoarde, and then cut to black.

I think "Oz" had a similar ending. Very open, very much "life goes on after the end credits roll." It's frustrating for viewers (I've been there), but on a storytelling level, it makes sense.

Sopranos/Angel/Oz are not shows that need a tidy end, because the story is about the characters, not their circumstances. On the other hand, a show like "Lost" needs that closure, because the show depends on the circumstances.

My $.04, anyway. :D

tourdeforce
06-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Anybody want to send me a PM and tell me what happened? I am super curious!

SPOILERS

Tony and his family went out to dinner.

Cut to black.

Nothing happened.

Toothpaste
06-11-2007, 07:30 PM
lol!

Well I had to go off and read the synopsis in the interim, and to be honest, I kind of like the ending. Not only is it "life goes on" thing, but it plays on all the expectations of what a big finale should be. With a show like that and all the speculation, everyone assumed a big death or something . . . I kind of liked what they did instead. Very meta-whatever.

Chumplet
06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I won't see it until it's on Showcase or something in two years. So... I'm guessing he moved to Indiana to go legit.

robeiae
06-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I thought it was pretty good, actually.
Me too, Gaf.

It was always about the people, not the politics or the gunfights.

Good job, Chase.

Death Wizard
06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
That ending...it was like "the pull-out method."

Ha!

pconsidine
06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Life doesn't end until you die. Even then, no one knows if the Journey is over. Some believe it goes on and on and on. Call me silly, but I don't watch TV or movies to see life. I watch them to see life as it should be.

Verité sucks. Always has.

FatTire
06-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Some believe that the ending was the audience getting whacked.

To me, I do not like endings that are all conjecture. If life goes on, then end it that way.

ChunkyC
06-11-2007, 10:12 PM
What a waste of air time.
I thought the entire series was a waste of air time, but that's just me. ;)

And, judging by what y'all are saying about the finale, I don't doubt a movie is in the offing.

TheGaffer
06-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Then why are you commenting?

ChunkyC
06-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Did I need permission or something? Note the winking smiley at the end of the first line, indicating humourous intent. :)

You could also take note of the second line of my post, where I offered up my opinion that based on how the finale went, a movie would seem likely. That would be me agreeing with what Writer14 said earlier in the thread.

dclary
06-12-2007, 01:17 AM
That gaffer's always causing trouble!

Ban 'im! He's a witch!

MonaLeigh
06-12-2007, 04:57 AM
We're rewatching it right now. I liked the ending. Although I admit I thought my tv was broken too for a second there. I've read that two of the most often-asked questions are What happened to the Russian, and is Adrianna really dead. I feel like it went out long the same lines.

rubarbb
06-12-2007, 05:03 AM
I thought the whole last season was a bit weak...

PattiTheWicked
06-12-2007, 06:15 AM
I was thoroughly disappointed. What if we ended books like that?

Don Allen
06-12-2007, 06:28 AM
The genius in the ending is that it's never been done before and it did what every person in showbiz knows is the mantra of entertainment, always leave them wanting more....

RMS
06-12-2007, 06:32 AM
I agree Don. At first I was mad but once I thought about it, I don't think they could have done it any better. They gave everyone what they wanted. We all get to form our own conclusions AND they left the door open in case they want to do a movie. Which I personally think they'd be crazy not to do!

tourdeforce
06-12-2007, 06:41 AM
The genius in the ending is that it's never been done before and it did what every person in showbiz knows is the mantra of entertainment, always leave them wanting more....

The foundation of "leave them wanting more" is that what you gave them was so good, the audience wants more of it.

It's not that it was so lacking that the audience gets no resolution and it left them disappointed that the production was actually incomplete.

TheGaffer
06-12-2007, 06:56 AM
I was thoroughly disappointed. What if we ended books like that?

What if books ended like TV shows? What if they ended like songs, repeating the same line again and again?

MMcC
06-12-2007, 07:08 AM
I loved it. There were so many "maybe" teasers in that last scene.

MattW
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Haven't watched in 2 seasons (that's about 5 years). I've heard all about it though.

This was intentionally created to be mysterious and subject of TV myth for years, despite the decline of the show.

It could be any number of things - Tony could have been dead many times over, and the successive shows were all dreams and the diner is heaven. The whole show could have been a purgatorial experience of Tony talking to the shrink.

Or Tony could have been killed by any number of people in the diner. OR not at all.

Pisarz
06-12-2007, 05:26 PM
We're rewatching it right now. I liked the ending. Although I admit I thought my tv was broken too for a second there. I've read that two of the most often-asked questions are What happened to the Russian, and is Adrianna really dead. I feel like it went out long the same lines.

The Russian, yes, but Adrianna? She died a horribly undignified death, with Sil dragging her out of the back seat . . .

But as for the ending, I liked it. It tied up some loose ends but left enough undone to make things interesting. After all, look at the discussion it's sparking, here and elsewhere.

My-Immortal
06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Some newscaster I was watching this morning mentioned a humorous idea for the ending....after the screen went black, the scene should have popped back on with Big from Sex and the City waking up next to Carrie, rolling over and saying he'd just had a wild dream about being a NJ mobster....

;)

As for ending a book in that way....how about a post? I mean don't people do that all

pconsidine
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
We all get to form our own conclusions AND they left the door open in case they want to do a movie. Which I personally think they'd be crazy not to do! If they ever make a movie, I will completely lose what little respect I still have for David Chase. It's one thing to make a creatively questionable decision regarding the end of a TV series, but to make an intentionally crappy ending just to leave yourself the option to make a movie is unforgivable.

Which just brings up the question in my mind – how much would a Sopranos movie just flat out suck? I don't think there would be any way to make a good movie that would still be true to the spirit of the show, in which case, why bother spending all the money just to piss off the fans even worse?

TheGaffer
06-12-2007, 09:21 PM
He won't do a movie. He's just not interested.

Roger J Carlson
06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
a movie is in the offing.:roll: Great pun!

III
06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
The Russian, yes, but Adrianna? She died a horribly undignified death, with Sil dragging her out of the back seat . . .

That might have been my favorite Sopranos moment because it was so shocking, especially since I was rooting for Adrianna to go on the lamb. At least we never had to hear her say "Christofuh" again.

Other favorites:

The scene w/ Tony and Carm arguing in the basement when she admits that she's been in love with Furio.
Tony choking Ralphie to death.
Every interaction between Paulie and the old biddies at his mother's retirement home.
Every time Olyvia said "Poooooor you."
The scene when Tony's girlfriend caught on fire (can't remember her name now.)
Tony straightening out Christopher with the line "You don't love me? Well that breaks my heart. But you will respect me."
Tony, Paulie, and Sil whacking Big Pussy on the boat.
Janice's self-indulgent speech at her mother's wake.Oh man, I could go on all day. Thanks for the memories, Sopranos.

TheGaffer
06-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I loved the malapropisms. When Melfi discusses the philosophy of Carlos Castaneta (sp?) and Tony responds, "Who listens to prizefighers?"

Paulie referring to Sun Ta-zu as opposed to the correct Sun Zuu (in terms of pronounciation.

Tony to Janice after she kills Richie: "All in all, I think it was a pretty good visit."

Bobby Bacala's "I'm in awe of you" line to Junior in Season 2, after Junior worked out why he was supporting Tony over Richie.

Christopher's great Springsteen reference as to why he's late: "Traffic is terrible. The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive."

Silvio telling Matthew Bevilacqua to leave the cheese he's thrown on the floor alone during the poker game. "Why now? Leave it there. I like the way it smells. I also put provolone in my socks so it smells like your sister's crotch in the morning."

Someone looking at Vito and one other guy and saying "It's a weight-loss ad. Before, and waaaay before."

Paulie going to Italy and calling everybody "Commendadore."

A more serious moment, but the elderly psychiatrist who tells Carmella she's got no choice but to leave, saying "whatever happens, nobody can ever say you weren't warned." Brilliant moment.

Tony answering Melfi on AJ's suicide attempt when she says it may be a cry for help: "Aren't you listening? It was a cry for help. He's lucky I heard him."

ap123
06-13-2007, 01:05 AM
I was disappointed. Yeah, I get it, life goes on, blah blah blah. And I did think the visuals (cinematography?) were wonderful in those last 5 minutes, the daughter struggling to parallel park, etc. But. I've been watching this show since the beginning, I would have liked some type of resolution.

aadams73
06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
*Snicker* You gotta love those folks at The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/james_gandolfini_shot_by_closure).

(work safe)

Bravo
06-26-2007, 06:09 PM

you couldnt have been more wrong in life.

pconsidine
06-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Do you really want to throw down that gauntlet, Bravo?

CatSlave
06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm searching for the article that explains the symbolism in detail; when I find it, I'll post it.

In a nutshell, there are numerous symbols used in that episode that point to death. Something in the manner of how they were eating suggested the taking of communion. Tony keeps hearing a bell ring when the restaurant door opens, but he's the only one that hears it. Six rings, which is a Catholic call to mass. There is a previous episode of a conversation he had with Bobby Bacala, in which Bobby supposes that at the moment of death, nothing happens, everything just goes black. The ominous stranger (Death) in the restaurant, who is always in sight on the sidelines. I wish I could remember all the points, but when they were explained to me it became clear that Tony was dead.

Excuse me while I hunt for the article.

Here you go:
http://www.bobharris.com/

Go about a third of the page down; this is the heading.

Tony Soprano didn’t just get whacked; he practically got a funeral

*enjoy*

dpaterso
10-29-2007, 12:34 PM
<casts thread resurrection spell>

The barnacle-encrusted galleon that brings the tapes across the stormy Atlantic finally docked in the UK, and we saw the final Sopranos ep last night.

So Tony's daughter takes 5 minutes to park her car across the street, then hurries into restaurant to join her family -- Tony looks up when the doorbell rings -- cut to black, silence.

We stared at the screen, too scared to look away in case we might miss something coming up after the credits.

Right after the closing prodco logo, the TV station showed scenes from past episodes -- we thought it was part of the show! -- turned out to be an ad for Soprano DVDs. Almost comic timing!

I've never felt so dissatisfied in my life. Well OK, there was that time I was lured into a bedroom by a mysterious femme fatale, only she didn't deliver what she'd been promising all night -- that left me feeling dissatisfied too. If you ever read this Elaine, yeah I'm talking about you. But I mean with a TV show, you putzes.

SOPRANOS goes out...

Yup, I couldn't agree more.

Symbolism? WTF? I calls it bad writing!

-Derek