PDA

View Full Version : Query Letter Concern

NiennaC
06-11-2007, 05:51 AM
I was wondering what I should do about a query letter:

I don't have any writing credits to put in my bio (never been published in a magazine, etc.). So what should I put in the biography section of the query letter? Nothing? I'm just not sure what to do.

Irysangel
06-11-2007, 06:21 AM
If you don't have anything to put in the biography section, don't put in a biography section.

You'll do just fine without it. Save the space and put in something about why you're querying that particular agent.

janetbellinger
06-11-2007, 07:24 AM
You can put in what experience you have that makes you qualified to write about the topic matter in the novel, eg. if it's about a blind person, you could list courses you have taken in sign language, a blind relative you have etc.

clara bow
06-11-2007, 07:36 AM
What Irysangel said. Plus, the Rejecter recently blogged about this very issue:

http://rejecter.blogspot.com/

(June 2, 2007 post

dantem42
06-11-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't have any writing credits to put in my bio (never been published in a magazine, etc.). So what should I put in the biography section of the query letter? Nothing? I'm just not sure what to do.

If the agent requests a bio section, then you have to supply it. Just a few choice facts: maybe what you do for a living, some interesting things you've done, where you live, etc., how long you've been writing. Keep it to two or three sentences.

Otherwise, leave it out. My agent didn't ask me for bio stuff until he started putting my manuscript out to publishers.

BrookieCookie777
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Just leave it out - no worries - we all started somewhere! At some point ever single one of us were unpubilshed.

NiennaC
06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks so much for your replies everyone! I'll tank the bio section unless it's specifically asked for.

zpeteman
06-13-2007, 01:52 AM
I hear blind people are really good with sign language.

janetbellinger
06-13-2007, 04:03 AM
Right! (Slaps self.) Talk about embarrassing. Braille. I should have said braille.

stormie
06-13-2007, 04:15 AM
If it's fiction, don't put anything in the bio if you don't have the creds. If it's non-fiction, again, don't worry about it, but if you have something that directly pertains to the (non-fiction) book you're writing, put it in your bio.

HorrorWriter
06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Nienna,
I don't have any publishing credits either. Don't include it in your query if you don't have any. Don't sweat it. I've had 2 requests for fulls regardless of credits. Good luck! ;)

Prawn
06-19-2007, 11:28 PM
What Irysangel said. Plus, the Rejecter recently blogged about this very issue:

http://rejecter.blogspot.com/

(June 2, 2007 post
But in the links section, it is listed as 5/27. Check there.