Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Our Southern New Englanders so far:

::EDIT:: - August 29, 2007

We are expanding this to include ALL of New England now. (Big thanks to Foinah for changing the name of this thread from "Southern New England" to "New England.")

.1. Plot Device ..... Western Mass
.2. Vandal .......... Southeastern Mass
.3. C.bronco ........ New Milford, CT
.4. rhymegirl ....... East Providence, RI
.5. Pisarz .......... Sturbridge, MA
.6. pconsidine ...... Hartford, CT
.7. rubyen .......... Nashua, New Hampshire
.8. Danger Jane ..... Massachusetts South Shore
.9. popmuze ......... Fairfield, CT
10. sunna7kore ...... Maine
11. The Scip ........ Southern Massachusetts
12. imagoodgurl4 .... Greater Boston Area

(Am I about to trick myself into organizing this thing? ;) )

I suggest the following possibile meeting sites:

Springfield, MA
Boston, MA
Sturbridge, MA
Concord, NH

Here's what constitutes Southern New England:

Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont

newenglandbw.GIF
New_England_Map_detail_large.gif

(And some would argue that the eastern border of New York State, as well as the whole of Long Island, should be included as well.)

It's not a terribly huge geographic area (these states are actually teeny-tiny). It's possible to drive from the New York State line to Boston in less than three hours. And from Long Island Sound to the Canadian border in less than six. New England is just about half the size of the island of Ireland.

Now ... I am NOT up to the task of organizing anything myself in the near future. But I thought maybe getting a thread out here would be a good start for those who might one day have the unction to do so.

And oh yeah--I'm in Western Mass, the Connecticut River Valley, right along Interstate 91.

Last edited:

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in southeastern Massachusetts, just down the road from Lizzie Borden's summer home.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in East Providence, Rhode Island.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from the south shore of Massachusetts but I'm only eighteen so um, count me in for like, next year or something.

rubyen

You don't include NH in your list but so many people here work in Boston. It's just 40 miles away.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
From fair Fairfield, CT

If Consodine is coming, I'm there.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking of expanding this to include ALL of New England (which would then bring in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine). Either way, you're welcome to include yourself here. :cool:

Include Maine! Include Maine! We're not all that boring, I swear. :)

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, I am now expanding this to include ALL of New England. So that includes Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

I vote for the following possible choices:

Springfield, MA
Boston, MA
Sturbridge, MA
Concord, NH

RATIONALE: If we keep it in Massachusetts, that makes it the most central location. Concord, NH is probably the MOST dead center of all the selections, but I kinda suspect Maine is a little more sparsely populated than the three southern states are-- and I likewise suspect that the northern reaches of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine have the least AW folks. Meanwhile, if we stick with either Springfield or Boston, we leave open ALL inter-city transportation options, including buses and trains, and the inner-city transportation is also very generous in both locations.

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can go either way, since it's a difference of maybe 45 minutes between them.

Yes, I drive fast.

Wicked fast, even.

It's hard to deliver newspapers with much accuracy when you're racing by people's houses too fast. I've been finding them in the bushes lately.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Concord, NH is probably the MOST dead center of all the selections, but I kinda suspect Maine is a little more sparsely populated than the three southern states are-- and I likewise suspect that the northern reaches of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine have the least AW folks.

I think you'd definitely be right about that. We broke a million in ME a few years ago, but not by much, and I think Portland probably accounts for a quarter of that. :)

Yay!! I can get to Boston by train or bus; I'm not sure how to get to Springfield, but I could manage it from Boston. Does the T go in that direction? I've only ever lived on the North Shore, so glorious 128 is all I know.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think you'd definitely be right about that. We broke a million in ME a few years ago, but not by much, and I think Portland probably accounts for a quarter of that. :)

Yay!! I can get to Boston by train or bus; I'm not sure how to get to Springfield, but I could manage it from Boston. Does the T go in that direction? I've only ever lived on the North Shore, so glorious 128 is all I know.

To get to Springfield from Boston you'd have to do either an Amtrak train or a bus (like Peter Pan or Greyhound or Trailways).

If I organize it, it's going to be Springfield for sure.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Springfield is a great town, even if it's not the Simpson's Springfield. It's got the basketball Hall of Fame, plus Amherst and all those other colleges. I think something like seven colleges within five miles.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
To get to Springfield from Boston you'd have to do either an Amtrak train or a bus (like Peter Pan or Greyhound or Trailways). If I organize it, it's going to be Springfield for sure.

Coo, thanks. I kind of hate the T anyway.

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the Greater Boston Area...about 20 minutes north of Boston, I could easily get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.