Shrek the turd....um...I mean, Third

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Gad! That was by far the worst movie I've wasted money on. What did the screamwriters do with all the fun? It seems they added two extra doses of 'ek' in this one. Even the 8 year old kid sitting behind me kept saying 'oy' ever five minutes. :Wha:

Pathetic. Skip this one and avoid the DVD like six day old chicken salad left on a picnic table.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to know my instincts were right on this one. I loved the first one, and hated the second (that cat is the most annoying thing I've ever seen) so I wasn't holding out much hope for the third. How disappointing to hear it really is that bad. Glad I didn't waste my money or time. :)

Reaction score
I only watched a Shrek film for Prince Charming's voice. Rupert Everett's voice could melt knicker elastic.

But that stupid fake Scottish accent of Shrek's. It really ticks me off when actors say, "I can do the accent. I'm Scottish. My grandmother was from Glasgow."

Well no that doesn't make you Scottish. It makes you an idiot who thinks accents are inherited and you don't sound like any Glaswegian I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I think Scots run the theaters over here. ;)

Three bucks for a 16 ounce coke.
Three and a quarter for a tiny bag of Twizzlers.
Four-fifty for popcorn.

It's enough to make my kilt unravel. :)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
He actually does a really funny Scottish accent in "So I Married an Axe Murderer."

We took the four year old one to see StT yesterday. He squirmed through the whole thing. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as either the first or second. There were parts where I wanted to take a nap. The High School part was cute, but went on too long.

But the last 20 minutes or so were magic. The Led Zeppelin thing was priceless.

Fortunately we went to a ten am showing, and the other family that was in the theater left halfway through, so we had the theater to ourselves and could laugh as loud as we wanted.

Who hates the cat? I love Antonio Banderas.

Reaction score
Believe me, that's NO Scottish accent. I've seen the film and cringed at his voice.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
He actually does a really funny Scottish accent in "So I Married an Axe Murderer."

I love Antonio Banderas.

When they started harping on his accent I thought about that movie. How about when he was doing the poetry?

And did you say Antonio Banderas correctly? You know you have to take on an accent, lower your voice to a sexy whisper, and give eyes. That's the only way to say it.

Reaction score
I wouldn't defile the name of Banderas by trying to say it that way. Only he has the power.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing against Antonio Banderas (though I think he's kind of icky) but I hated that cat in the second movie...enough motivation right there to not see the third.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Wah!
Is it really that bad!
I liked I & 2 but i do/did think that a 3rd is pushing the boat out (or sinking it as the case may be!! I have seen that bit!!) too much. Then It seems they have run out of gags down at the Shrek mill. (RT LOL with your alternative title!)
Kev

licity-lieu

drying and defragging...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.librarything.com
But the last 20 minutes or so were magic. The Led Zeppelin thing was priceless.

I was hanging out for the Led Zep bit but it only lasted a nano second before going into some other song (name escapes me).

Actually I liked it. Was all just a bit of fun. Shrek still remains one of the best of the animation bunch out there, IMO.

eeweth :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it. My kids liked it. It was fun and funny. Eric Idle was great and Antonio and Eddie and Mike. I don't care for Cameron Diaz's voice much. Oh, and Julie Andrews is cool too.

Of course the Scottish accent is just a put on. Och, so what. And my Scottish cousins think So I Married an Axe Murderer is hilarious. One of them quotes it every 5 seconds (much to my annoyance after several hours).

The third Shrek is on par with the second. Not as good as the first, but nevertheless a jolly fun romp.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So you won't be seeing Shrek the 4th or 5th?

I haven't seen #3, and wasn't going to in the theaters anyway, but I did read over at SciFi.com that they're planning on making a grand total of FIVE Shreks, then calling it quits.

Sounds like that's gonna be 4 too many?

Reaction score
I'd just like to say Scottish accents on women are really, really sexy. Can you record your voice and post it here?

Would it be even more of a turn-on if I said I've been told I don't sound like I'm from Dundee? Apparently I'm too 'posh' - I have a telephone voice? :D

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it. Was it the best ever? No, but it was still funny. I got a kick out of a lot of the gags, like the girls in the dungeon after the 'we need to get out of here' pep talk, all sitting around waiting to be rescued because that's the only thing they know how to do. Howls of laughter from me for that one.

And I like Puss 'n Boots.

And as far as the accent goes, I think Myers just used a Scottish accent as a starting point. I've heard him do Scottish on Saturday Night Live and Shrek is not the same, it's more of an Ogre accent he created specifically for the character.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
So you won't be seeing Shrek the 4th or 5th?

I haven't seen #3, and wasn't going to in the theaters anyway, but I did read over at SciFi.com that they're planning on making a grand total of FIVE Shreks, then calling it quits.

Sounds like that's gonna be 4 too many?

I was just flicking through the channels and up popped an interview with Antonio Banderas and he said they will be making 5 films and then stopping after that.