Ouch

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is a shameless plug for some sympathy, but does anyone know a quick cure for a sprained ankle? We're embarking on a camping/hiking trip at dawn tomorrow, and I just did a number on my ankle today. It's taped up, but swollen and throbbing, and I'm not a happy camper (pun intended).

:e2beat:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
My plan would be.....

I finally had to have my right ankle repaired but here is how I managed to put it off and still continue to have a reasonably normal life.

Arnica - both homeopathic beads and gel (it is so common you should be able to get it at the regular drug store. Take the beads in a clean mouth (meaning nothing to eat or drink, except water, for half an hour before and half an hour later). Repeat the beads every 2-4 hours. Arnica will help with the swelling and bruising.

Traumeal (sp?) - this is another excellent post-injury cream but it is expensive and harder to find. I usually have to go to the health food store to buy it. You can use it and arnica gel alternately.

Rub the arnica gel into the ankle every two hours. Ice the ankle, keep it elevated and stay off it until you have to go. If it hurts, stop and rest during the hike. Try to elevate the ankle when you stop. Always keep reminding yourself that for every step you go forward there is a step back. You don't want to wind up having to be rescued. If you have a walking stick - use it.

Oh, oh, take the beads on the hike and do the beads, gel, ice and elevation once you get home. If you have a choice, try to make sure that the the hike is on reasonably level ground (avoid climbing if you can). Up won't feel too bad but coming back down will be much more uncomfortable.

For pain and inflamation
Take: one asprin
Next hour take: one Tylenol
Next hour take: one asprin
Next hour.....

Keep in mind that a trip like this, so close to the time of an injury, can actually do more damage to the ankle so what was a mild sprain can turn into something more serious.

Let me know how it works out.

Judy

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hate to say this but i hurt my ankle and didn't get it looked at right away and now it has been a year and I still have to wear an ankle brace when I exercise and walk the dog (different that just you know, walking around during my day.) I should have at least gotten an ankle brace at the time, even if I didn't go to the doc. That might have helped. When I did go to the doc he told me to use moist heat, which is differnent than dry heat, for about 20 minutes at a time. My heating pad came with a little spongy insert that I could get damp to use for moist heat. I would tie the pad around my ankle and elevate it. My ankle felt a lot better. He also gave me an RX for an anti-inflammotory, but ibuprophen should work. Hope you get better soon.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
hey, Pat, not sure how to cure an ankle sprain, but sure hope you feel better very soon and get to enjoy your camping/hiking trip anyway. I sure like SP's 'cure' though!

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
"Dawn tomorrow" has passed already (even if you're in Hawaii), so any tips now would be moot. Didja go?

For what it's worth, I woulda said what 3DP said, only not nearly as well. Using my kids as test subjects, my no-so-scientific studies have shown that for whatever reason, arnica really does help with healing of strains, sprains, and bruises.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
FWIW, you should put ice on the ankle and hold it over the level of your heart. That helps a lot, it's what I was advised to do with my knee for the inflammation.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
When I severely sprained my ankle... I stepped off the curb into what I thought was just a puddle. Turned out to be a huge pot hole, my foot caught the edge and my ankle touched bottom.

Anyway, not having insurance at the time, I didn't have it looked at and it took at least 6 months before I could walk on it without any pain. Probably several more months before it started to feel "normal" again.

There is no quick cure for a sprain.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Cause I'd just tell you to let me kick the other one. (knee)

Raw raw ree kick them in the knee. Raw raw rutts kick them in the other knee.

Pheeew, that's alright then.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no Pat!
My step-mom hurt herself pretty badly during a big camping trip once, (nearly severed her foot on a sharp rock while playing in the river). Dad took her to the nearest hospital, they patched her up, gave her meds and instructed her to keep it elevated periodically for the next three days-which was the remainder of our trip. We thought for sure we were headed home. But nope, Dad convinced us that Mom needed some R and R and he teamed with us kids to do all the work while she lazed around the camp and nursed her foot. We were more than happy to comply, it was a great trip. She was hobbling around by the last day and did get to enjoy the wilderness a little bit.
Hopefully you found a way to enjoy your trip as well.

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all, many thanks for the great advice (esp. hugs and chocolate!). As of today I'm no longer limpy gimpy, though my ankle's a lovely rainbow of colors. I was able to hike around Arches National Park (Utah) with no problem! I'm very fortunate that it didn't turn out to be too severe of a sprain, and that I could get my sneaker on the foot today. (We hike around Bryce Canyon tomorrow!)