Status
Not open for further replies.

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
I've been a struggling writer for over two decades now (ever since High School), but recently discovered a new past-time which is making me think I've been going in the wrong direction all these years.

When I sit down to write, it's really hard work and I have to force myself to do it every day. Recently I discovered how much I enjoy creating websites, and began to realize something. When I'm programming, the time flies by. I forget to eat or sleep. I've gone all night without even realizing it, something I could never do writing fiction. And the final results are, in my opinion, hugely better than any novel I ever wrote.

This has been bothering me a lot lately, ever since I created the QueryTracker.net website.

So, what do I do? I know it's not easy for you to answer such a question, but any ideas? Anyone else go through something like this before? Am I having a mid-life crisis? I don't feel a need to buy a Corvette.

Reaction score
All I can do is answer from personal experience. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that writing is my favourite thing in the world. I can't imagine not writing.

So ask yourself this - how would you feel if you looked into the future and imagined never writing again?

If it's a possibility, or not scary or disappointing, then...I think that says it all.

For me, even with my imagination, a future without writing in it is an impossibility.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Writing

I believe life is short, and I believe we should all do whatever it is that makes us happiest. I don't think it's ever about quitting. It's about trying different things until you find the one that makes you happy.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
When I sit down to write, it's really hard work and I have to force myself to do it every day. Recently I discovered how much I enjoy creating websites, and began to realize something. When I'm programming, the time flies by. I forget to eat or sleep. I've gone all night without even realizing it, something I could never do writing fiction. And the final results are, in my opinion, hugely better than any novel I ever wrote.

I cannot imagine a day without writing or planning plot or thinking about scenes, but, then again, I'm still new to the craft. If you feel so wonderful about web design, go for it. That doesn't mean you have to stop writing. Not by a long shot. But life's too short not to do what makes you happy.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Why would the opinions of disembodied strangers matter? If it's something valuable to you, you'll continue. If not, you'll find something else to do. But we can't tell you what to do.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
justpat...this is a truly tough, unforgiving business. So I have to tell you how I got through it. I got mad. I got conceited. I had thoughts of revenge, and knew that they (editors/agents) were wrong, nay, everybody was wrong and it wasn't me. I really had to convince myself that I could and would be a lot better writer. I gave myself such a shot of ego, I overdosed. It's the mindset that has to endure. I can't tell you how many times in the past 27 years I've given up, sold my computers, and busted my pens. I lost ten novels in a fire (with no backup) and didn't even care. I think the ones who make it are the ones who stay aboard for the very long haul. Here...I wrote you something:

A writer is...

A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Who is unfamiliar with surrender

BTW, I like your Query Tracker very much.

Tri

Last edited:

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a programmer...I hate it...it bores me to tears....it's work. I love to write...every day...as much of the day as I can give it. I have found what I want to do with my life. Sometimes you follow a path then realize it isn't the right one. Do the one that makes you happy. You aren't having a mid-life crisis, you've found something you like more, that's all.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be the one to say it. Yes. Life is too short to waste it on things that don't make you happy. Design websites. It's something that requires great skill and there are lots of websites out there that are horrible. Follow your bliss (i know, it's so touchy feely) and do what makes you happy. Stop writing completely. If you really are meant to be a writer you'll come back to it. I did. If you're not, you'll be able to move on without regrets and go to something that truly makes you happy and will give you the rewards and satisfaction that are not coming from writing.

It's not about quitting. It's about re-examining your options and repositioning yourself to take advantage of what has come your way. Opportunity's knocking, answer the door.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I've been writing a long, long while now, but it's only in the past year I've tried doing it seriously. I'm a firm advocate of a person doing what makes them happy in life. Can't you do both? I mean if you like writing, put down the pens for a little bit and do the computer thing if that's what makes you happiest at this moment. It's not like you never have to write again. Sometimes I find taking a break to get fresh ideas flowing helps me. Follow your heart.....make yourself happy in whatever it is. Good luck.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm with JAR and nevada on this. It isn't about quitting. It's about finding what makes you happy.

Plugging away at writing even when you know it frustrates/angers you is like watching a movie you know you're going to hate: what's the point when there are other things that will you will enjoy more?

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Go with what makes you feel the best. No matter what some might tell you, writing isn't the be all and end all for everyone. I toss up between writing and a couple of other activities on a weekly basis. You can always do both, but just because you stop writing to devote time to something that makes you feel good doesn't mean that you "quit writing." Like most other things, you can always go back to it whenever you feel like it.

Too often people want to frame these things as an "either-or" choice when in fact they are not. It's more of an "if-then-else" thing, to use some old Basic lines. If web design makes you feel good, then do it, or else go back to writing for a time, then go back to web design.

There is a great need for folks who can design a clean, clear web site that lets people find things on it (if you don't believe this, go look at just about any university's web site...they are testimonials to poor design and organization, IMO). But if the urge strikes you to write something, just do that, too. It can become a hobby as opposed to a living or calling. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I've been writing off an on for probably 3 decades now. I've finished about a dozen short stories but never published - which is not the fault of the stories, I'm just lazy when it comes to pursuing the changing markets. I have several novels in various stages of completion, and only one is close to being done.

I've set my writing aside, decided I don't have what it takes to be a writer, and given up completely more times than I can count. But I always come back to it.

I also got into web design and I agree, it can be totally consuming. And I did it the hard way too, in HTML coding instead of using a web design program. It was so cool when you'd struggle with a code and it would finally work.

But I'd always come back to the writing. It's only been in the last year or two that I've finally taken myself seriously as a writer. I like to write. I love the creative process, creating characters and getting them in and out of trouble.

If web design gives you that much pleasure and satisfaction, by all means persue it. But don't give up on your writing.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I've been a struggling writer for over two decades now (ever since High School), but recently discovered a new past-time which is making me think I've been going in the wrong direction all these years.

This has been bothering me a lot lately, ever since I created the QueryTracker.net website.

So, what do I do? I know it's not easy for you to answer such a question, but any ideas? Anyone else go through something like this before? Am I having a mid-life crisis? I don't feel a need to buy a Corvette.

Dr Phil says, are you doing what you're doing b/c you enjoy it or b/c you were doing it yesterday?

If you don't enjoy writing, then maybe you should just do it as a hobby or drop it? If you enjoy doing websites, then do them. It's ok to do what you enjoy. And if it's not writing, then that's ok also. I give you permission to do what you enjoy, LOL!!!

kim

Sofie

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely hate writing. It's a chore and a pain. I love painting, singing and dancing - like you described web design, these are activities that really make me happy and time just flies by when I do them.

However, I can't imagine myself being anything other than a writer. No matter how hard it is, it's what I want to do more than anything else in the world. Yeah, that's right - it's the thing I hate the most and the thing I love the most at the same time.

So my advice to you would be to just search your soul basically.. find out what you really want to do (not what's the most fun - there's a huge difference! Dancing is fun when I do it, but writing is what makes me happy in the long run.) and then go for it. Keep in mind that these things change, too - a couple of years ago writing was like "walking on clouds" to me. I imagine (fingers crossed!) that feeling will return to me eventually.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I would like to second the feedback so far, and offer an additional thought from my own experience.

I write web applications for a living - and I also maintain my own website (which can, admittedly, be a distraction from writing fiction). What you have to realise is that writing code is creative, too. Designing a good web application requires a lot of the same skills as writing prose: understanding and empathising with your audience, an appreciation of structure and information flow, the ability to communicate clearly and concisely. Perhaps you were initially drawn to writing because you didn't know of any other outlet for these talents?

See where this new road takes you. If you still want to write novels in six months' - or six years' - time, the words and stories will still be there. Just enjoy yourself!

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
When I sit down to write, it's really hard work and I have to force myself to do it every day.
Me too. I was hoping one day I'd sit out on the terrace and write flowing prose while sipping a class of chardonnay, but no. It's really hard work. Still. Huh.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Writing" has too much magic attached to it.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Do what you enjoy doing. There's nothing that says you can't stop writing and come back to it later if that's what you want to do. There's nothing that says that a writer is someone who writes every day or even every week or every month.

We have enough obligations in life. Spend your leisure time doing the things that give you enjoyment.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I'm the guy who pursued writing during high school and for quite a while after, then left it for 15 years, then exploded onto the scene with EPPIE finalists and successes, and haven't written fiction in 7 years.

So, you can probably guess that I'm going with the consensus here. Follow your heart. If you have something you must say in your writing, you'll write it. If not, why bother? I do also enjoy writing a good website myself, despite lacking your ability, so go for it.

And yep, I agree with the consensus again when noting you can do both. And even a bit of underwater basket weaving if it floats your boat. (That's not a mixed metaphor but it's still painful...)

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
"Writing" has too much magic attached to it.

Too much magic for what? To do it, or to not do it?

I agree that writing seems magical -- that is the attraction for many, the ability to create something from nothing.

I am not knocking your theory... I am merely intrigued. Care to expound?

Status
Not open for further replies.