Cover Art Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
So we all know that readers judge a book by its cover. I'm definately guilty of this.

That said, what features in cover art really annoy you? That is, if your publisher used these elements for your own book, you'd rather burn all of the copies than see it on a bookstore shelf? (Okay, that might be overkill, but stilll....)

Mine:
Pictures of the author on the front cover. I usually find this in children's non-fiction. Unless it's an autobiography or you're Wentworth Miller, I really don't care what you look like.

Poser-generated art. It usually really looks poorly put-together and really cheap.

Okay, let loose.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Characters on book cover don't match character descriptions in the book. Unbelievable how often that happens, and it annoys me to no end. I'm already imagining the picture on the front, and now I have two different pictures of the same person.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Skimpily-clad characters when they're in regular clothing or even armor throughout the book. Grrr.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I happen to like art better than photographed covers. I don't know why, I just do.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Or having to make the hero look like he's a body-builder. I hate that.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
*gasp* You mean this isn't accurate?

6ahdk5g.jpg

My whole night is ruined. :D

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
I HATE clinch covers on romance. No Fabio! Bad Fabio!

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
*falls over laughing* I would say no. Though I'd love to see him try and fight a battle (mostly fantasy reader here) in that. Methinks he'd lose.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Gross muscular, tanned, greasy guys. I HATE really toned, "attractive" type guys.

This right here is an example:
modelTVlogo.jpg
I HATE, HATE, HATE men that look like this. People aren't naturally supposed to look like that! I'll stick to the average guy with no butt and a little gut, thank you very much.

Someone who looked like that tried to hit on me once, so I nailed him in the nuts. Nasty ass.... Go gorge some Cheetos or something!

*looks at picture, dry retches a little*

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed.

I console myself by imagining how much all that chest waxing must hurt. :tongue

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Agreed.

Ew, chest waxing! I don't want any man I date to have less body hair than I do. I want to be able to skip shaving a day or two and not hearing any complaints about it.

Seriously, though. I won't even pick up a book with the cliche romance cover on it. Ugh....

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed.

BIG ouch. I don't want a guy that worries so much about his looks. On the other hand, I don't want Larry the Cable Guy either.

Give me Gerard Butler any day. (More Timeline and Phantom than 300. Too much waxing there too!! LOL) He can be on all my book covers he wants. I'll even pose for the clinch shot with him. :e2kissy:

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
We had a charity used book sale at our office. Over two hundred books all over the board room table. One... ONE cover had FABIO on it!

IMHO, that's one too many. :D
I ran across an old copy of a Laura Kinsale book, and I swear I thought the guy on the cover art looked like Nick from CSI. It was downright creepy.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There's a new guy on 50% of the covers now. I forget his name. Once you know his looks you realise how many of the torsos are his.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
What *is* it with the waxing? Even the photos look like Poser alot of the time.

I dunno. I have yet to figure out what's supposed to be attractive about that. Getting snugly with someone with no chest hair would be like cuddling with a pre-pubescent.

My apologies if that image gets into anyone else's head the way it just did mine. Ick, ick, ick. I'm going to go wash my brain out with Listerine now.

Mmn, Butler on the other hand is a fine choice. :D Or Matthew McConaughy. Or *snorple* James Marsters.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Being into illustration myself, I hate book covers which are nothing but the Title and the Author. Or some meaningless minimalist pastel swirl of non-colour.

Tells me nothing about this book.
n174963.jpg

Makes me want to read this book (and I don't speak German, but dammit I wish I read German so I could read this book)
lsd.jpg

I say to myself: Whoever published some book with its empty cover is too chickens**t to commit to an image to put on its cover, so I'm thinking the book itself will suffer from that lack of vision (obviously, not THE ROAD, but the days are gone when Minimalism = automatic cool)

I want a book cover that I'd hang on my wall. The Beatles did the White Album and now it's done: everybody else has to fill the damn canvas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.